Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
anibb

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Basic understanding please...

Please Login to Remove!

I am not an IT guy, nor am I familiar with the terms of this trade (IMAP, POP, SMTP, BB Enterprise etc...).

I have been a heavy and satisfied user of a BB which I got as an executive from my previous large US corporation. Now, having my own business, I would like to be able to use a BB in the same fully synchronized way which I enjoyed before.

Several month back I bought a BB 8830 from Verizon, and after trial and error (Verizon dealers and help desk were good for nothing... ) I managed to connect my three email accounts. The problem is that none of them is fully synchronized as I used to enjoy when I had my Corp. BB.

My questions derive from my lack of understaning of how this enitre BB network operates (I have a BSEE and an MS, but do not intend to get an IT diploma.... )

To make my query simple please note the following regarding one of my email accounts which I need to fully synch (email, calendar, address book, notes etc.):
- I use both a desktop computer and a BB (8830)
- My ISP for my desktop is Optonline (Cabelvision's service)
- My Domain is hosted by "Register.com"
- My email server is at "Register.com"
- I use Outlook 2003 on my desktop
I can read all emails that are sent to me to: [email address] (which as I indicated above is hosted by Register.com), both on my sektop and on my BB. But sending emails from either my desktop or my BB doesn't show up on both. Nor are the Calendar and the Address book synchronized wirelessly.

Called Register.com, and they suggested to switch my BB from POP3 to IMAP (here we go with acronyms of the trade.... ). They mumbled something about the fact that they have both...
1. How do I change my setup on the BB to "IMAP"? - I don't see any provision for doing that.

2. Will this IMAP setting, allow a full auto-synch of all the Outlook parts which I need (see above) ?

3. How does it compare to setting an account with an MS-Exchange proivider (such as "123together.com") and paying a monthly fee to these guys?

4. What is the best and the most economical way to synch my Outlook in "almost" real time from wherever I am (without the need to connect it via the USB to my desktop)

5. What is the BB Entrprise and why should I (or perhaps I shouldn't) "activate" it on my BB ? what is the advantage of it? I tried to "activate" that, and saw no difference in the Synching of my Outlook.
Could somone take a few minutes and address these questions for a guy who wants to USE the service rather than dive into IT terms and set-up tricks.

I will appreciate any such help please.

Last edited by anibb; 01-29-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

BIS (What you are using now) is not full sync compared to what you were using BES. You best bet if it is critical is to use a Hosted BES service. This will add to your monthly cost on top of your BB Data Plan but it will provide full synch. Try Exchangemymail, etc. When using BIS will have to use the USB cable and the Desktop manager to Synch calendar and contacts.

Good Luck!

If you really want to pursure BIS there are some programs in development which will allow for calendar synch along with Email synch.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

It's hard to beat BES!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
anibb

Default Still confused....

Thank you "Thatzmister2u".

MS Exchange Helpdesk at 123together.com told me (in writing...) that if I sign with them, evrything , including Calendar and Address Book will be synchronized wirelessly...

Is it a sales pitch designed to lure me in...?

What about the IMAP option ? The folks at Register.com said to me that it will do the same as going through an MS Exchange server....

I just looked at the "exchangemymail.com" web site and there they clearly state that all synch, including the Calendar and the Address book are synched wiresly..." whom should I belive ?

Last edited by anibb; 01-29-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibb View Post
Thank you "Thatzmister2u".

MS Exchange Helpdesk at 123together.com told me (in writing...) that if I sign with them, evrything , including Calendar and Address Book will be synchronized wirelessly...

Is it a sales pitch designed to lure me in...?

What about the IMAP option ? The folks at Register.com said to me that it will do the same as going through an MS Exchange server....

I just looked at the "exchangemymail.com" web site and there they clearly state that all synch, including the Calendar and the Address book are synched wiresly..." whom should I belive ?
exchangemymail.com can do both, I am not sure about 123together.com I would start another thread on "Recommendations for Hosted BES" and see what other users have to say.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
anibb

Default Hosted Services...

Thank you. I will try to find the forum for "Hosted..." as you suggested. I feel that a good illustrative block diagram of all this BES, BIS, POP, IMAP, SMTP, PORTS etc.... a basic visual understanding which should help many of us!!! For a while I have had the feeling that when I think that I finally undesrtood part of the puzzle, something else throws the entire picture I had formed into a turmoil... At least for me....

I wow here, once I get this puzzle straight, I will try to publish here an easy to understand, layout for the non-IT "silent crowd" ....

Last edited by anibb; 01-29-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

It would be tricky to make a meaningful diagram. They're different protocols and in most cases people are pretty much stuck with one or a couple of options. What I'd recommend is outlining your needs and working from there:

For what you're looking for (full wireless sync) you need BES. It's not really practical to run your own BES server for most people so you also need to look into hosted BES. That's your particular solution in a nutshell. Unless you change the full wireless sync need then BIS, POP, IMAP, SMTP and everything else is irrelevant.

For many other people, price and existing email accounts dictate their solution.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-30-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Closed Thread