BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
braziliangirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Question Pearl or 8830 from Verizon??? HELP!!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I am a new user of this forum and so far am very pleased.

I am buying my first BB. I am not into games, etc. I will mainly use for E-mail, Calendar, Phone call, Txt msg...

So, I use Verizon and from the Bb's that they carry I think I am between the Pearl one and 8830 ( which I think a like a bit more )

Anyway, would love to hear some detailed opinion before I take the jump

Also, if anyone has either one for sale, I'd love to be able to save some $$$ instead of paying full retail since I am not eligible for ANY discounts...

Thank you
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

If you do over 10 e-mails a day get the 8830,suretype is not bad but the 8130 has a small screen.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
braziliangirl

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by david9962000 View Post
If you do over 10 e-mails a day get the 8830,suretype is not bad but the 8130 has a small screen.

I definitely receive more than 10 emails. Actually more like 30, lol.
Would that be a problem with the 8830 at all?

I think I am almost not wanting the Pearl. Even though it is smaller, I like the bigger screen better.
And again, old talk, would love to be able to get the Curve if VZW is getting it...who knows...
Dont know if should wait...etc.
Thank you 4 your help =)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

It's all a matter of personal preference. See which keyboard you prefer. It's pretty common for people to advise that you go with a full keyboard if you're a heavy emailer but I know plenty of heavy email users who prefer SureType.

Do you want or need the camera?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
JohnPMP

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I have been wrestling with a similar decision. I will be purchasing either the Pearl or the World Phone as soon as my current contract is up. For me, the decision comes down to the fact that the World Phone has a larger screen and a larger keyboard. The Pearl has a funky keyboard and smaller screen, but is very small and light.

I went to the store and played on both for a few minutes and it seems to me that the Pearl, against intuition, might be easier to type on. Ergonomically, using a one-thumb method on a smaller keyboard seems to work better than requiring a two thumb method on a larger one. Both would involve a learning curve to be able to type quickly and accurately (the WP has no row offsets like standard PC keyboards, the Pearl as the double-letter buttons).

Also one thing I noticed is that numeric keys are much easier to see on the Pearl than on most other models (a plus since it is, first and foremost, a phone).

I have about a month before I purchase my new phone, so I am very interested in the experiences of seasoned BB users.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
braziliangirl

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
It's all a matter of personal preference. See which keyboard you prefer. It's pretty common for people to advise that you go with a full keyboard if you're a heavy emailer but I know plenty of heavy email users who prefer SureType.

Do you want or need the camera?
tks.
no, i don't need a camera.

man, i never thoyght i'd feel this way to buy a device lol
and im still hoping for the curve to come...for some reason...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
braziliangirl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPMP View Post
I have been wrestling with a similar decision. I will be purchasing either the Pearl or the World Phone as soon as my current contract is up. For me, the decision comes down to the fact that the World Phone has a larger screen and a larger keyboard. The Pearl has a funky keyboard and smaller screen, but is very small and light.

I went to the store and played on both for a few minutes and it seems to me that the Pearl, against intuition, might be easier to type on. Ergonomically, using a one-thumb method on a smaller keyboard seems to work better than requiring a two thumb method on a larger one. Both would involve a learning curve to be able to type quickly and accurately (the WP has no row offsets like standard PC keyboards, the Pearl as the double-letter buttons).

Also one thing I noticed is that numeric keys are much easier to see on the Pearl than on most other models (a plus since it is, first and foremost, a phone).

I have about a month before I purchase my new phone, so I am very interested in the experiences of seasoned BB users.
I did the same...took a look. The bigger screen and keyboard still get me
Good luck on your decision...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Flow73

I had the 8830 and returned it for the 8130. For me, it was simply a matter of full keyboard vs. a much smaller device.

Once you get used to it, SureType is an adequate replacement for the full keyboard. There are a couple of little quirks while the custom dictionary gets used to you and your slang. I find the screen size big enough.

On the other hand, I didn't like the size of the 8830. It was just too wide in my poket, especially with jeans or shorts. For women, it may be less of an issue if you're tossing it in your pocketbook. The size of the 8130 is absolutely perfect, and for me, more than made up for the keyboard.

I didn't think I'd care about the camera or video cam, but now that I have it, it's a nice extra bonus.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I actually prefer the Pearl's smaller size. Once you get used to the SureType you will be able to type just fine. I actually find my typing is faster on SureType than with the full QWERTY keypad. I do a lot of messaging per day and I find the keypad more than adequate.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
VirexInc
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braziliangirl View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a new user of this forum and so far am very pleased.

I am buying my first BB. I am not into games, etc. I will mainly use for E-mail, Calendar, Phone call, Txt msg...

So, I use Verizon and from the Bb's that they carry I think I am between the Pearl one and 8830 ( which I think a like a bit more )

Anyway, would love to hear some detailed opinion before I take the jump

Also, if anyone has either one for sale, I'd love to be able to save some $$$ instead of paying full retail since I am not eligible for ANY discounts...

Thank you
yea i have the pearl from verizon and i have used the 8830 as well. i like the smaller phone bc it is more conveniently stored and not as bulky. once you get use to the keyboard, which is about a week then you will be doing the "one-handed emailing" in no time at all
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
pilotkid

Default LONG! How I got my BB pearl for $50 through VZ a week ago!

Hello! i'm pretty new here also. The thing that made me respond to your post was when you were asking how to get money off, since you are not eligible for your "every two" upgrade. I just got a BB pearl about a week ago, I LOVE IT! Yes, the suretype is absolutely horrible in the beginning, to the point I seriously was about to return it bud didn't want after all the work I did to get it. So I to was not eligible for a upgrade and was faced with the $420 buck full retail price, I paid only $50!!!! YES I said $50, heres what I did. First off how long have you been a customer? I have been one for 7 years now. About 4 days before I ended up getting my pearl I signed on to my account online and wrote them a email telling them how unhappy I was with my phone and that I felt like Verizon could do something to show me that they appreciate the loyalty of their customers. My letter was very polite and politically correct. Two days later I get a phone call from them and miss it, so I lady left a voice mail. I call back and get a representative and tell her my entire ordeal, how I wrote the letter, how long I had been a customer and how I felt like they could do something to some me that they appreciated my loyalty. Again the important thing here is that I was VERY polite and politically correct the entire time on the phone. I think that was key. After about 5mins of her having me on hold and looking up stuff on my account she tells me there is nothing she can do, I ask her if I may speak with her manager(very politely). I end up speaking with her manager and they decide to give me the "every two" price which takes the phone down $200 bucks. Im very happy and thank them greatly! I go the my local VZ store, they are currently running a promotion where if you switch to a BB plan with unlimited data and email(my plan for 450mins and unlimited nights and weekends and long distance and all that, and unlimited internet usage and email is $99 a month) you get $100 off instantly. So now I'm from $420-200(new every two price)-$100(for bb unlimited plan). Now I find out they have a $50 mail in rebate promotion on top of that!!!! My total including tax was like $110 now i need to sent in the mail in rebate! Sorry that was really long but I hope this works for you. Just remember BE NICE, they are the ones to ultimately decide if they want to help you or not!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Quote:
Once you get used to it, SureType is an adequate replacement for the full keyboard.
I'd say "if you get used to it". I gave SureType a month and then left it and never looked back. Again, YMMV.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I'd say "if you get used to it". I gave SureType a month and then left it and never looked back. Again, YMMV.
Come on! Just a month?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
braziliangirl

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotkid View Post
Hello! i'm pretty new here also. The thing that made me respond to your post was when you were asking how to get money off, since you are not eligible for your "every two" upgrade. I just got a BB pearl about a week ago, I LOVE IT! Yes, the suretype is absolutely horrible in the beginning, to the point I seriously was about to return it bud didn't want after all the work I did to get it. So I to was not eligible for a upgrade and was faced with the $420 buck full retail price, I paid only $50!!!! YES I said $50, heres what I did. First off how long have you been a customer? I have been one for 7 years now. About 4 days before I ended up getting my pearl I signed on to my account online and wrote them a email telling them how unhappy I was with my phone and that I felt like Verizon could do something to show me that they appreciate the loyalty of their customers. My letter was very polite and politically correct. Two days later I get a phone call from them and miss it, so I lady left a voice mail. I call back and get a representative and tell her my entire ordeal, how I wrote the letter, how long I had been a customer and how I felt like they could do something to some me that they appreciated my loyalty. Again the important thing here is that I was VERY polite and politically correct the entire time on the phone. I think that was key. After about 5mins of her having me on hold and looking up stuff on my account she tells me there is nothing she can do, I ask her if I may speak with her manager(very politely). I end up speaking with her manager and they decide to give me the "every two" price which takes the phone down $200 bucks. Im very happy and thank them greatly! I go the my local VZ store, they are currently running a promotion where if you switch to a BB plan with unlimited data and email(my plan for 450mins and unlimited nights and weekends and long distance and all that, and unlimited internet usage and email is $99 a month) you get $100 off instantly. So now I'm from $420-200(new every two price)-$100(for bb unlimited plan). Now I find out they have a $50 mail in rebate promotion on top of that!!!! My total including tax was like $110 now i need to sent in the mail in rebate! Sorry that was really long but I hope this works for you. Just remember BE NICE, they are the ones to ultimately decide if they want to help you or not!

That is great!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing...now take a look a this...I just posted somewhere else =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...after talking to about a million people from Verizon CS, finally I got a girl on the phone that understood my situation ( wanted a discount on the 8830 and willing to renew 2 years, since I've ALWAYS paid full retail on all my phones with them) and let me do the 2 year renewal + discounts.
She told me to get the data plan $44.99, that way I'd get an EXTRA $100 off the device.
What I forgot to ask her is if I do pick the $44.99 - to get the discount of course - if I can, later, change to the $30 in case the other one isn't what I need.
Anyway, long story short..here's the deal I can get:

$ 519.99 device would become

$ 399 - 2 yr contract

-$100 = mail in rebate
-$100 = off because I got the $44.99 plan

= $199 for the 8830

Should I just go ahead and do it??

Thanks in advance everyone =)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
Rainbowtyedye
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: 312902DF

I bought the 8830 a little over a month ago and love it. I'm a girl so I do put it in my purse most of the time, but even when I've had it in my pants pocket it hasn't seemed bulky because it's thin.

I have small hands but, apparently, a very flexible right thumb because I can type with one thumb, if need be. Takes a little practice, though.

One problem with the 8300 is the small keys. It's very easy to fat finger the keys since they are so close together. I find it much easier to type on the 7250 that I have for work. But I have found that if I type with the tips of my thumbs and my nails I don't have too much of a problem.

Good luck with your decision. It seems like to me that whatever you choose you'll be happy with.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

I had a 7100i and it broke-fatal error thing. well, they replaced it but made a muck out of the customer service thing. I got a new 7100i off insurance w no deductible but told them I wasnt happy.

They asked what would make me happy! (They messed up here!)

I said "a new 8830" they said ok. and sent me one. no cash.

I did allow them to extend my contract however. So now I have a 7100i (nextel) in the box and my 8830 was free.

needless to say I wrote a glowing email back to the supervisors. Everybody happy!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
braziliangirl

Default I Got The 8830!!!

All right, after all the looong deal...I finally was able to get it at that very same discounted price, plus, didn't need to get the more expensive data plan, just got the $29.99 one.
Right now it is on the mail on its way home
Can't wait!!!

Thank you all for the opinions and advices!
Closed Thread