BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Mightypants

Model: 7230
Default 2 BES Servers

Please Login to Remove!

Our server that runs BES is slowly dying. The BES still works, but there are hard disk errors and the server needs rebuilding and disks need replacing.

We have setup BES on a new server but there are no users on it.

I have two questions:

1. Can we add new users to the new BES while the other server still exists and will those new users receive emails while the other BES Server is in operation?

2. Can we create accounts for users who are existing on the old BES while they still have account son the old BES?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

As long as you remove the users from the old bes before adding to the new bes it should be fine.

I wouldn't...multiple links to a mail profile could cause nasty issues.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Mightypants

Model: 7230

Also, are there any issues configuring a new BES Server while the old one is still active when it comes to SRP etc...?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightypants
Also, are there any issues configuring a new BES Server while the old one is still active when it comes to SRP etc...?
Yes. If you plum up the BES services on the new server while the old one is online, it will disconnect the new BES from RIM's network in 5 seconds (I think thats what corey or grey or someone said before). If you do not start the services, then you are safe.

Also, adding a user to two BES servers within the same Exchange organization while both BES servers are up and running will most likely result in a bit of damage to the user's mailbox. I had to reboot the BES server before I could get back into my account when performing this process. It filled up our Exchange server's secondary drive due to log files increasing in size with errors within 24 hours, also. BAD idea unless the first BES just crashes and you have to move the user to a second BES. Everything said in this paragraph pertains to TWO BES servers running TWO SEPARATE SRPs, btw.

If I were you, I'd just build the new BES server w/o starting up its services. Shut down the old BES server and then bring up the new one with the same SRP. It should (from experience, if memory serves me correct) bring up the userlist already intact and no one suffers any issues. If you have the database local, you will want to go through the database migration process as well. There are a few topics on both subjects (together and separate), so do some searching and I'm sure you'll find a thread with the details in them.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
greywolfe

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

When you bring down the old BES, give it a minute or two before bringing up the new one (if using the same SRP). Takes a bit to release the SRP sometimes.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
BBTechGuy

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you running BES 3.6 or below I would follow these instructions for minimal impact:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...66683&vernum=0
Closed Thread