BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
elwuero

Model: 7520
Default Mobi Reader Lite Beta Trouble

Please Login to Remove!

I installed the program on my 7520, no problem with that. I can open the program fine. I cant seem to figure out how to add a e-book to the program. I downloaded an e-book that I previously purchased (changed my PID) and when I follow the directions and double click on the *.prc I do not have an option to send to PDA RIM Blackberry. It only gives me the option of a Windows Smartphone or a Windows PPC. I tried to email it to myself but I couldnt open the attachment on the BB. Can anyone help me with this issue. Thanx in advance.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
elwuero

Just as an update. Since I dont need / use my ppc anymore since i got the bb, i removed the microsoft active synch software from my pc. now when i double click on the ebook.prc i get a the mobipocket screen which says it can not detect any PDA on my computer. I have my bb connected via usb port and the desktop manager is active, but still no luck. I tried to download my ebook using the bb but when i clicked to get link it said the browser could not download that type of file.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
elwuero

Resolved! Thanks to ac68886. Make sure you read the Readme file included in the download. I was simply following the instructions on the download web page and missed a instal file I had to run on my PC so that Mobipocket could detect I have a BB connected. All is well now.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
ems275
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Downloaded and installed program. Sent the example book w/o a problem, reads fine. D/L several demo books from thier site and every one comes up w/ a different error. Like: Compression Not Supported, Indexes Not Supported and one was something like ver. xxxxx6 not 5 supported. Any have any thoughts?

The install info. states d/l any free ebook from our site, does this not include DEMO ver. of ones you have to pay for?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Smhblackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 312B4645
Carrier: cricket

I get the same error with free and demo books. The book I paid for loaded fine, no errors. Maybe they are trying to say right now only full ebooks are supported?

Has anyone tried to make their own yet? How did it work?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I had no problems with this at all. Both the demo and books I had purchased previously from fictionwise.com work just fine. All I had to do was re-download them with .prc format. Great addition to my BB for travel down time.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Wolf6can
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

I had no problem downloading/installing either. I tried a demo and it worked fine. i bought the same book and it also worked. My problem is that I have several books form the my past Palm Reader days and I can't send them to my bb because the Palm Install tool keeps on coming up. When I removed the Palm software it removed the data in another application (splashid) that I still use on my desktop so I had to restore it. It may be just that I cannot use any ebooks unless they are from mobiPocket. If anybody has had any success with existing books, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Wolf6can; 08-03-2005 at 03:24 PM..
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Gregory K. Jones

Model: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6can
I had no problem downloading/installing either. I tried a demo and it worked fine. i bought the same book and it also worked. My problem is that I have several books form the my past Palm Reader days and I can't send them to my bb because the Palm Install tool keeps on coming up. When I removed the Palm software it removed the data in another application (splashid) that I still use on my desktop so I had to restore it. It may be just that I cannot use any ebooks unless they are from mobiPocket. If anybody has had any success with existing books, please let me know. Thanks.
I had the same exact problem. I ended up buying a book from mobiPocket, and was able to install that book properly. However, my books from peanutpress don't work. I'm not complaining, though--I'm ecstatic that there is finally an e-reader for the Blackberry.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
RSWiser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

The instructions on Mobireader say to run install.bat. When I do I get the following error message:

The system cannot find the file specified
Error during installation.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
birdman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

I have a number of books from PeanutPress and FictionWise. Has anyone managed to get these books working on the BB?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
xombi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't answer specifically for the two sites mentioned above however generally, it's working brillliantly here (well for the funcionality it currently has, which is enough for me). If you download the ebook creator software from the main mobipocket website you can convert any .txt or word format ebook to a .prc which I have done with 2 of my ebooks and it has worked brilliantly (unfortunately it's only a trial software so will have to pay for it unless I can find a free converter). If you do a google their are converters out their to convert other ebook formats such as .pdb to text so you can then convert any current ebooks you have to a readable format!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Unfortunately, those of us with a huge library of Palm Reader books are out of luck with this one. Despite the similar PRC/PDB extensions, MobiPocket's books are in a different format from eReader/Palm Reader/Peanut Reader ebooks (ie, any eBooks purchased from eReader.com, or books purchased from other sites like FictionWise.com in Palm Reader format).

The result is that while I may buy consider buying future books through MobiPocket (or at least in MobiPocket format), I'm still stuck with a relatively large library of eBooks I've already paid for, and now no way to read them except on a PC or laptop computer.

We can only hope that the folks at eReader.com will release a Blackberry version of their reader at some point...
Closed Thread