serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb Why EDGE versus 3G matters less than you think

Please Login to Remove!

Found this article... Interesting...

Blackfriars' Marketing: Why EDGE versus 3G matters less than you think

and why I prefer this... 592Kbps EDGE Downloads Offered by Nokia Siemens Networks Upgrade (MobileBurn) and Coming Soon, Even Faster EDGE Networks - GigaOM

With this at least I will have battery left to use the calculator!!!!

Last edited by serrano_yejo; 04-09-2008 at 10:16 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
dakis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange CH

Well, EDGE vs 3G matters when your network provider only offers 3G networking and no EDGE, like is the case with many providers in Europe (including mine...).
Because of the high premium they paid for the UMTS frequencies, they pushed 3G networks massively over here - and at the same time refused to invest more into their 2G networks.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Quote:
Well, EDGE vs 3G matters when your network provider only offers 3G networking and no EDGE, like is the case with many providers in Europe (including mine...).
Because of the high premium they paid for the UMTS frequencies, they pushed 3G networks massively over here - and at the same time refused to invest more into their 2G networks.
Very valid point - it also matters when you want to tether your BlackBerry as a modem.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
mush10
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
Found this article... Interesting...

Blackfriars' Marketing: Why EDGE versus 3G matters less than you think

and why I prefer this... 592Kbps EDGE Downloads Offered by Nokia Siemens Networks Upgrade (MobileBurn) and Coming Soon, Even Faster EDGE Networks - GigaOM

With this at least I will have battery left to use the calculator!!!!
Do you tell yourself that because you are with TMO

It also matters for voice, but I do see your battery point. Until someone figures that out, all 3G phones will have this problem. I like the ability to tether, which is why I am anxiously awaiting its release.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

3G matters for lots of different reasons. Not only is HSPDA good for fast browsing and other data intensive applications like email, it also has the ability to use data and voice at the same time. I don't know one business user of BlackBerry that would not love voice and data simultaniously. If I am on a long 2 hour conversation using my Bluetooth headset, I would LOVE to be able to get an important email at the time it was sent, rather than 2 hours later after I am done with my voice call. When it comes out for AT&T people will wonder how they survived without it based on that aspect alone. I can't wait for an HSPDA BlackBerry just for that alone. And I know of a few people who switched to a Windows Mobile device and BlackBerry Connect just so they can keep up with their important emails WHILE talking on the phone to an important client for an hour or two.

So yeah ... HSPDA on a BlackBerry matters a lot.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus

Last edited by numetheus; 05-04-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

I must concur. I love 3.5G. my BB died and I my phone company wanted to charge me around 450 dollars for a new BB with a new contract, or about 100 dollars for an HTC Touch Dual, so I went with the dual. HSPDA Loving it. Also, I must admit, the browser isn't that great, but this browser, sorry BB, still does laps over the BB browser.

But honestly, I just love browsing really fast. I also have Data intensive apps like Skype, and since I have unlimited data, i've been skyping A LOT. I actually have to recharge my new 2400mah battery twice a day for that reason :D haha.

but the NEW BB's are HSPDA enabled so that's awesome
Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
3G matters for lots of different reasons. Not only is HSPDA good for fast browsing and other data intensive applications like email, it also has the ability to use data and voice at the same time. I don't know one business user of BlackBerry that would not love voice and data simultaniously. If I am on a long 2 hour conversation using my Bluetooth headset, I would LOVE to be able to get an important email at the time it was sent, rather than 2 hours later after I am done with my voice call. When it comes out for AT&T people will wonder how they survived without it based on that aspect alone. I can't wait for an HSPDA BlackBerry just for that alone. And I know of a few people who switched to a Windows Mobile device and BlackBerry Connect just so they can keep up with their important emails WHILE talking on the phone to an important client for an hour or two.

Email is hardly data intensive unless you're attaching a large video clip which I doubt many are doing. Your email won't come any faster whether on EDGE or 3G.

and its HSDPA.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Email is hardly data intensive unless you're attaching a large video clip which I doubt many are doing. Your email won't come any faster whether on EDGE or 3G.

and its HSDPA.
I said absolutely nothing about HSPDA being able to get email faster. I know its not data intensive. I specifically said HSPDA is better for web browsing and other data intensive applications ... nowhere did I say email would be downloaded faster.

What I did say was that HSPDA in a BlackBerry would be better because you could receive email WHILE being on the phone at the same time. I don't know how many times I was on a 2 hour conversation, or went from one phone call to the next for a couple of hours and failed to receive a very important email because EDGE does not allow you to be on the phone and use data at the same time. Try it ... get on the phone and send yourself email. You can do it till your blue in the face. You will never get that email until you get off the phone. It is a worlds difference if you can be on the phone with a headset AND be able to receive and respond to email at the same time.

Last edited by numetheus; 05-07-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
b00st3d

Carrier: at&t

^^ i agree with this guy.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
What I did say was that HSPDA in a BlackBerry would be better because you could receive email WHILE being on the phone at the same time. I don't know how many times I was on a 2 hour conversation, or went from one phone call to the next for a couple of hours and failed to receive a very important email because EDGE does not allow you to be on the phone and use data at the same time.
Exactly the reason I went with 8820. It does data over WiFi and voice over GSM, not ideal but works if you happened to be in coverage of WiFi network you can connect to.
Then, you can have emails and conversation. Love it.

One of main reasons I will be buying 9000.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Gosh, maybe I do not need a Blackberry 9000?

Yea, RIGHT!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Exactly the reason I went with 8820. It does data over WiFi and voice over GSM, not ideal but works if you happened to be in coverage of WiFi network you can connect to.
Then, you can have emails and conversation. Love it.

One of main reasons I will be buying 9000.
And ANOTHER advantage ... I use Telenav with the GPS on my BB. When I have to make a call all data stops and I can no longer get directions. If I could make calls with my bluetooth headset and still have my BB tell me where to go it would be perfect. EDGE CANT do that. HSPDA can. I don't see why anyone would say EDGE doesn't matter especially when there are soooooo many huge advantages over EDGE that are not related to transfer speed. You can have HSPDA throttled down to EDGE speeds, but it would still give you a HUGE advantage, and still matter.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
And ANOTHER advantage ... I use Telenav with the GPS on my BB. When I have to make a call all data stops and I can no longer get directions. If I could make calls with my bluetooth headset and still have my BB tell me where to go it would be perfect. EDGE CANT do that. HSPDA can. I don't see why anyone would say EDGE doesn't matter especially when there are soooooo many huge advantages over EDGE that are not related to transfer speed. You can have HSPDA throttled down to EDGE speeds, but it would still give you a HUGE advantage, and still matter.
Telenav continues working. it doesnt update the map past its stored point, but it stores the mapped route before hand. i get telenav talking in my ear all the time when on a call. EDGE works just fine for this.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Telenav continues working. it doesnt update the map past its stored point, but it stores the mapped route before hand. i get telenav talking in my ear all the time when on a call. EDGE works just fine for this.
Kind of pointless when you are actively driving a long distance and you are taking several calls. It stores it up to a certain point ... yes. After that you are on your own. I am much more active than that. EDGE is no good for anyone that is busy.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Not to mention that sometimes if you are doing data intensive stuff sometimes people get sent to voicemail like your phone was off because the call came in at the same time. It doesn't happen often .... but it has happened before. Yup ... EDGE downright sucks. I just tolerate it for now.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Hmmmm actually to clarify my last post ... it stores to a certain point. I have been in situations where I am in an area I have never been, and construction or an accident routes me somewhere else. I always have to get a client off the phone just because my phone is too stupid to do things while I am on it. More and more now I use a TomTom because of that. I hate saying ... "let me call you back" just so I can get a re-route. This would not be necessary with HSPDA and I could carry just one device.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #17
Knocka

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I have been waiting for the ability to send/receive email while on the phone for a long time. I agree totally that business users will wonder how they lived without this feature.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:

Yeah booooooooooooooooooooooooooy! I'm right there with you on this one. I work for NBC Universal Media so you know there are thousands of BlackBerry devices within the company, and I don't think that any of them there get it. I don't think they realize what HSPDA really means. I asked an IT guy at NBC if he's been getting hit up for the Bold already, and he told me he tells them they can't get it. What's up with that?