Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #181
MikeG
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Stumped

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks folks, I'm stumped now! O2 haven't replied yet (no surprise there). Apart from having the 'CLOUD' bolt on for another £7.50p/m, but I shouldn't have to pay extra to use my FREE home network surely??

Oh well, I'll keep checking here, I'm sure a solution will appear eventually.

Later dudes

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #182
Geezer1

Carrier: o2

Can you not change your sim card?

Err......this is a solution.

Last edited by Geezer1; 03-28-2008 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: ps
Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #183
S8N

Model: Bold
Carrier: o2 UK

How utterly bizarre. I was in the local Varsity having lunch this afternoon and decided to kick the wifi for a moment. It went all the way to green. What the ?

Just tested it at home and yes, BIS is working over Wi-Fi!! Yet, o2 told me they would never get it working and wasn't supported. I am not going to complain!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #184
Geezer1

Default Now that wi-fi is working............

I was wondering, am I suppoosed to be able to make calls on VOIP using my 8120, I tried turning off the mobile network and tried with wi-fi but nojoy.

Also, I have a bluetooth send but cant receive issue where I can't send anything from my laptop to my phone as I get a message on my pc saying that that service is not supported. The Blackbery symbol at bottom right on my pc opens up to reveal a box where you have to tick to enable bluetooth and then another to configure bluetooth as instructed on the FAQs are both greyed out.

I can send photos to my laptop using bluetooth but I cant send anything to my handset. the windows file transfer box opens and finds my 8120

i tick the box in the transfer enabled device window click send and I get a quick flash on my pc as if a transfer is taking place quickly followed by Remote device does not support service message and a No device paired message on the phone, despite all indications to the contrary.

When my pc searches for my handset, it says Unable to detect remote device, the address matches and it is enabled and trusted.

Thanks

O2 BIS
v4.3
v105

Last edited by Geezer1; 03-30-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: ps
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #185
longwayround

I finally appear to have fully working wi-fi. My bill for last month being rather larger than I had hoped on Pay-as-you-use, I switched yesterday to BB Unlimited. Today I discovered that the Wi-Fi icon is now white and I appear to be connecting to BIS over wi-fi.

I find it truly irritating that I appear to have to pay O2 ten pounds a month in order to use my own wi-fi connection and shall be informing them of my annoyance.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #186
Geezer1

Default Wi-FI connectivity without a sim card!!??

Guys,

Are Carphonewarehouse O2 talking a load of bull or has anyone with them managed to successfully connect to wi-fi with no sim card in their 8120?

They say that you do not need a sim card in the 8120 to connect to wi-fi.
Why is it then that when the sim card is removed from my daughters O2 direct 8120 the wi-fi stops working?

They argue that they have 8120s working on wi-fi without sim cards in their office.

They insist that the problem is with the handset and its software, but of course when I put my daughters sim card in my 8120 it works fine.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #187
Geezer1

Default It's going back!

Well guys, after fannying around with my Carphonewarehouse/O2 8120 wi-fi problem and getting nowhere (my previous post where my wi-fi worked was because I used my daughters O2 direct 8120 sim card). I have told them to stick their 'wi-fi' 8120 where the sun doesn't shine.

Their Geek squad told me that Carphonewarehouse do not have wi-fi available for the 8120 and dont expect to for another month or so! So they are misleading the public by telling them their 8120 has wi-fi connectivity.

They faffed around saying that because its an upgrade I cant renege on the contract. I promptly told them to ram it as they have failed on their part of the contract (supplying me with an advertised wi-fi connected phone) which releases me from my contractural obligations. They have agreed to cancel the contract tomorrow. What a complete and utter waste of my time, my daughters O2 direct 8120 does exactly what it says on the tin...no dramas!

I will be getting my new 8120 from O2 direct and hopefully be as lucky as my daughter.

Cheers for now.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #188
tornadodivine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow, carphonewhorehouse really get the award for excellent service there... shame about all the hassle you've had to go through but your new O2 8120 will work over wifi.

And if it doesn't just swap it for your daughter's handset. She'll never notice

Last edited by tornadodivine; 04-17-2008 at 01:37 AM..
Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #189
Geezer1

Default Sim card issue

Tornado d.

They have admitted to me that the issue is with the sim card.which is what I have been telling them all along, this is what they have finally admitted!;-

New contracts through The Carphone Warehouse (TCW) on O2 have an 'O2 Con' sim card which apparently has no problem with wi-fi.

Upgrades through TCW on O2 have a '3G' sim card which does not connect up to wi-fi, never has and never will unless TCW change their provisioning set up.

I suspect they are painfully aware of this as this has been going on for some time now and I suspect their staff have been purposefully instructed to obfuscate in order to avoid losing a customer. I hate TCW with a ******g vengeance. I've wasted hours in store and on the phone. The 'GeeK squad and data support are fully aware of the problem but they will lie to you and not answer direct questions because your time is not important to them...just your money.

I have posted a copy of their advert re wi-fi on 8120 blackberry to the Advertising Standards Authority and I hope they ***K them over.

Cheers for now.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #190
tornadodivine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Jeez, what a bunch of <insert suitably rude expletive here>. Aside for the whole misrepresentation, why hand out a 3G simcard for a phone that isn't even 3G. Duh!

Kudos to you for sticking with it and getting an answer. I bet a lot of people just accepted what they were being told at face value.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #191
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

hum... do the 3g ones work with the bb browser in wifi mode? how would i tell which mine is accurately other than it not giving a green wifi in connections, but does get bes-prv and wifi bb browser.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #192
MikeG

Default New sim

Okay chaps, how confident are we that the sim card makes a difference?
I've finally got O2 to send me a new sim card, the one in my 8120 is one that I've had for about 3 years, just swapped it from phone to phone. The new one should land in about 2 days so I'll let you know whether it works or not.

Here's hoping!

Mike
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #193
Geezer1

Guys,

I can only speak for O2 contract with The Carphone Warehouse, on BIS.

Anything else would be pure speculation(waffle) on my part.

I'd be interested to see how you get on.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #194
MikeG

Default It works!

After another week of arguing with O2, I received a 'support' email from O2 this morning with this line
"We received resolution for your query from our data support team today. You're having a 64K SIM card, which is not 3 years old. According to them, the SIM card won't affect Wifi connections."
I came home this evening to find my new sim card waiting on the mat, I rang O2 to activate it then inserted it with baited breath......turned on....BINGO!!
Green ticks everywhere!!!
The sim card has no effect on the wifi ability of the phone.....but if you get a new one it it DOES work....idiots!! :O)

Thanks for all your help peeps....and good luck.
Mike
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #195
Geezer1

Default O2 direct or Carphone warehouse o2

Are you on O2 direct or through the carphone warehouse?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #196
MikeG

O2 direct (through t'internet not high street)
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #197
MikeG

a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-g-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-h-h ! ! ! ! ! !
Sorry for that, and sorry to raise your hopes. Well it did work with the new sim card, no messing - for about a day and a half, I even managed to connect to my neighbours wireless setup without a hitch.......then it stopped, hasn't worked since, I'm back to the yellow indicator again. This is poo!!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #198
tornadodivine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-g-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-h-h ! ! ! ! ! !
Sorry for that, and sorry to raise your hopes. Well it did work with the new sim card, no messing - for about a day and a half, I even managed to connect to my neighbours wireless setup without a hitch.......then it stopped, hasn't worked since, I'm back to the yellow indicator again. This is poo!!
This has happened to others in the thread (was on one of the earlier pages I think) where they get a new sim, wifi works, then it's registered and suddenly it doesn't work. At least I think that was the sequence of events, cba to look back through the thread

anyway, now that you've got your new sim, have you tried resending your service books?
Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table then Register Now
Your provisioning service book should say something like BESPRV-EU

at least that was what mine said when it worked, although bizarrely enough when I just checked it now it's back to PRVURLs and the wifi on mine works fine
Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #199
Cestrian

Carrier: O2 - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadodivine View Post
anyway, now that you've got your new sim, have you tried resending your service books?
Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table then Register Now
Your provisioning service book should say something like BESPRV-EU

at least that was what mine said when it worked, although bizarrely enough when I just checked it now it's back to PRVURLs and the wifi on mine works fine
I have noticed that my Provisioning service book is alternating between BESPRV-EU and PRV URLS without me doing anything; yet WiFi still works OK. I am roaming a lot in Germany on o2-de mainly, so that may have something to do with it.

I have found the most reliable way of refreshing the service books to get BESPRV-EU is to Resend Service Books from within the BIS website.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #200
MikeG

After yet another email to O2, I received this:-
"We received resolution for your query from our support team. This is quite difficult to comment on, as we don't support connections to home routers.

The first thing we would advise to do though would be to reset up the connection on the Blackberry® again for the Wifi connection.

If possible, also try connecting to the router with another Wifi enabled device, to rule out the hardware problem."

Great response..........

It seems weird but my wifi seemed to stop working straight after I got the 'Welcome, your blackberry service account is now active' email, it was firing on all cylinders before that!
Closed Thread