BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
chavdar

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Blackberry 8320 Curve T-mobile - UMA - AT&T 2Wire DSL Gateway Model 2701HG-B

Please Login to Remove!

Phone: Blackberry 8320 Curve T-mobile
DSL CA: AT&T
Modem/Router: 2Wire DSL Gateway Model 2701HG-B

After experiencing difficulties to have stabile UMA connection, I finally resolve the problem and gladly share it here.
Apparently, the resolution is to set(allow) PPTP server for your Blackberry in the Firewall settings of the router. Since I did that the UMA connection is perfect and doesn't drop at all.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Glad you got it working

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
sgtcasey

Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:23 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
PCgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Question

2WIRER here. Could you please let me know how to access the firewall settings? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
chavdar

Default Step by Step Config

Go to http://gateway.2wire.net/ - this is your access to set up your 2wire router. Then go to the FireWall Settings. This may require you to log in, since the set up could be password protected. Then select the BlackBerry device from the drop down menu. From the list under the device name select the PPTP server and click on Add to the right. That will add the PPTP server to the right, which means it is not falling under the Firewall. Click on Apply and exit. That should resolve the issue. I also changed couple of times the IP range, but I am not sure if that helped at all, perhaps it didn't. Changing the channel also didn't help me.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
PCgirl

Talking Thanks chavdar!!!

I was able to set the PPTP for my Curve (it was cool to see my PIN listed there!) so hopefully this will work! I tried changing the channel and range things in the past and they didn't work for me either.

My only other question is: do you know how I could add my husband's curve to the PPTP? I tried and it only allows one device per application.

Thanks again!

Last edited by PCgirl; 11-06-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
PCgirl

Thumbs up OMG Chavdar is a genius!!!

Wow! I just about gave up on UMA for phone calls. BUT IT FREAKIN' WORKS NOW!!! I actually made and stayed on a call using wi-fi! (Will test the EDGE hand-off shortly but I'm sure it will be fine!)

Thanks so much for posting this in the regular 8300 forum because I wasn't even looking in the wi-fi section anymore since I've been using mobile preferred for phone calls instead of wi-fi preferred. TRES COOL!!!!

Can you tell how happy I am right now???

Maybe you should get a sticky for this???? hint hint, mods???
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
chavdar

Hey PCGirl! I am very glad my message helped!!!! It took me a while to figure that solution out. I am not sure how you can add PPTP for you husband's BB though; it is a good questions.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
rboy

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A231B9
Carrier: at&t

i tried it on my mothers router and it worked for about a minute and it stoped soon as i made a phone call. i did it like you said. how do you change the channel? she has a uverse 2 wire router.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried this for my 2wire AT&T router/modem and it worked great for the first day! For some reason for the entire day today I can't get UMA at all, not even for a second. I pull the battery, reset my modem, remove the PPTP and then add it again, I get nothing. The Wifi itself works, just no more UMA?

Wifi diagnostics says ISP/Tmobile error over and over again as it constantly tries to get a UMA signal.

What might be wrong here?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
Kurt M
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I've had the same problem today. It had been working for the last month. My guess is the UMA server is down.

Try it again tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #13
PCgirl

Red face Wifi probs today

Yup. I was talking to my mom and all of a sudden the call dropped and I couldn't call her back (call failed or busy). So I switched back to T-Mo preferred and it went right through perfectly.

Funny thing is that I'm trying to get my mom to switch to T-Mo because her carrier doesn't work very well and when I got her back on the phone after switching over she said, "no dropped calls, huh?" and laughed. So then I had to explain wifi and UMA to her.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
rboy

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A231B9
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
What kind of Internet connection does she have? If it dropped when you made a call you could be seeing low bandwidth issues. Especially if anyone was doing something on the Internet from a PC or laptop when you tried to make the call.

Dave
i know she has at&t uverse. i dont know if she picked the fastest speed though. she has a very big fancy 2wire router. my little cheap actiontec all in one router keeps me on uma when im at home.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Yoryie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Default Chavdar's wisdom applied to Belkin router succesful!

Thanks Chavdar, after reading your post, it all made so much sense, because the Curve has its own firewall, basically I had 2 firewalls. I accessed my belkin router settings page and placed the Curve in the DMZ zone (outside of Router's firewall and UMA speeds increased exponentially! In addition I've made two calls (too early to call more people) and the reception was much better I will be observant for dropped calls, which has been a UMA problem at home (not in other Internet spots). Still and always concerned about security (paranoid here) I tried to use the MAC address filter on my router. That worked for all other computers (2) but not for the Curve . But when I come back from work I will continue tweaking it.

anyone knows of a BB anonymous group in NY? (jk!)
Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
squeakr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

Good luck on the elkin router. I gave up on it as although I hammered out most of the problems, the newest firmwares have little to no customization and have locked me out of most of the control pages. I see why Belkin dumbed down the control to make troubleshooting easier for tech support and to limit what a user can screw up, but this is just unacceptable. I have the N1 and have found that sometimes it works great and other times not at all. Even when I could get it to connect and stay a call over 5 min would be dropped, as there is no QoS control through the router set up. Swapped out of the T-Mo router and have had no problems since then at all. I was a loyal Belkin user, but this paired with my recent go around with CS have soured me to their products and supports (found out the hard way that all is on the burden of the user and in no part anything that they have or could have done (still fightig out a fee for returned product that they claim they never got even though delivery confirmation is present through the USPS, what wrotten support).
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #17
PCgirl

Unhappy Bummer

Oh well, unfortunately my UMA calls failed again today. I just decided to keep the phone on "Mobile Preferred" since the only place I use a wi-fi connection is at my house anyway and I don't need hotspot@home since I never even come close to using up my minutes. The T-Mobile network has never dropped any calls so I'm just going to keep it on that setting since I do get the wi-fi for data anyway.

P.S. I still think Chavdar is a genius.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
m4rketsense

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMOBILE

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have been having similar issues with a new 8320 on Tmobile. I tried the settings here and it helped with overall connection problems, but it didn't get me connected to the Tmobile UMA server to make calls.

I found that in addition to adding the PPTP server setting to the 8320 in the 2Wire firewall, you also have to add port openings for UDP 4500 and UDP 500. Based on another post I read somewhere, I also added port openings for UDP 50-51, but I know that 4500 and 500 are a must. After making these changes, I was actually able to make calls through the 2Wire connection, but I haven't testing long-term stability. From what I understand, the PPTP server setting opens necessary VPN ports, but does not open the 4500 and 500 ports necessary for voice communication. I hope it helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
m4rketsense

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMOBILE

Well, I spoke too soon. I can connect and initiate calls, but can't stay connected. I think I will just go pickup the TMO router and call it a day.
Closed Thread