Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
biancaann

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Internet for an unlocked Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I have an unlocked T-Mobile curve for AT&T and I can use my Internet access when I'm at home with a Wi-Fi connection or anywhere else that has Wi-Fi. However, when I'm elsewhere, I can't use the Internet. Before you ask, yes, I have Internet access. Now, since I "don't" have Internet, I can't send MMS. I called AT&T and they said that I simply can't use the Internet from AT&T because the browser and configurations aren't built into a T-Mobile curve... Please tell me this isn't true. Or if it is, please tell me there's another way around it..?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Wirelessly posted (8120 4.5.037)

You say you have an internet plan before we ask. But do you have a BlackBerry data plan. Does you phone show EDGE or edge?

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 05-30-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
aky0

Model: 8100
Carrier: idk

Is there a different between EDGE and edge ? (sorry for asking that but I'm new on BB's world. )

I've got kinda the same problem, I reinizialise my BB and I cannot connect myself on WAP.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
biancaann

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
Wirelessly posted (8120 4.5.037)

You say you have an internet plan before we ask. But do you have a BlackBerry data plan. Does you phone show EDGE or edge?
It says edge. I didn't know that even made a difference, actually. But here's the thing, AT&T also told me that to get a BlackBerry data plan would be useless because their Internet STILL wouldn't work with a T-Mobile phone.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

edge and EDGE are different. You need EDGE to transmit/receive data.

For your primary issue, your AT&T person is wrong. For your unlocked BB, once you get THE BlackBerry Data Plan, you will receive EDGE and an internet connection outside of WiFi areas.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

As an ATT employee I must say that mr JSanders is corect add the BB data service and you will be fine
Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

You just need to input the APN settings.

If you go to options -> advanced -> TCP, it's in there. You can easily find the settings using our friend google. I just started using an unlocked AT&T device on T-Mo, and had to do the same thing.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I've used unlocked T-Mobile Blackberrys with other carriers' data plans without issue. Like JSanders said, this rep you spoke to is either confused, stupid, or both. My money is on both.

The important things to ensure are:
1. The Blackberry is unlocked.
2. You have a Blackberry Data Plan, not a regular smartphone data plan.
3. AT&T has the plan active on your account. This doesn't mean to make sure they're billing you for it. They'll do that even if it's not properly provisioned on your account. Just call customer service to confirm that your Blackberry Data Plan is active. I'm shocked at how often something is mis-configured on their end and a simple call elicits a response like, "Oh, um, <click clickety click> try it NOW."
Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
biancaann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post

If you go to options -> advanced -> TCP, it's in there. You can easily find the settings using our friend google. I just started using an unlocked AT&T device on T-Mo, and had to do the same thing.
If input the APN settings, will I be able to use MMS?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
biancaann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

As an ATT employee I must say that mr JSanders is corect add the BB data service and you will be fine
Well, my friend doesn't have a Blackberry data plan at all, but has a Blackberry and had the Internet Pay Per Use. Her phone, however, was an AT&T phone. Do I need the Blackberry Data Plan because I need it for my Internet, or just because its more sensible to have? I don't care for the Internet as much, just my MMS.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

You'll need the Blackberry Data Plan for MMS as it's considered data, unlike simple SMS messages.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #12
BadWolf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post

This is correct.

I bought an unlocked 8310 and I was able to access the internet BEFORE I had a BB data plan. I simply entered my carriers APN info, and I was away!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
biancaann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolf View Post
This is correct.

I bought an unlocked 8310 and I was able to access the internet BEFORE I had a BB data plan. I simply entered my carriers APN info, and I was away!
All right, so I googled the APN info for AT&T, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas why?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #14
BadWolf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancaann View Post
All right, so I googled the APN info for AT&T, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas why?
Do you have a data plan with AT&T?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #15
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

you need some kind of blackberry plan on your phone and u need it to say EDGE on the top right not edge

EDGE is needed to transmit data where "edge" just means the connection is there, but you CANNOT connect with your data settings.

i red online somewhere awhile ago about changing the APN settings to some carrier in china or something and getting free internet, but i dont know how accurate it is and i do not suggest it.

just but the 30 plan from ATT and youll be ok
Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancaann View Post
I called AT&T and they said that I simply can't use the Internet from AT&T because the browser and configurations aren't built into a T-Mobile curve... Please tell me this isn't true.
Well, it is half true. No BB comes out of the box with the configs/service books for any carrier. However, that doesn't mean that you can't use a TMO BB with at&t (countless people have done so and vice versa). Once your line has a BB data plan then it will receive at&t's BB service books automatically. The service books will configure your BB.

at&t's CSR's are pretty hit-and-miss in my experiences...

Last edited by takeshi; 06-02-2008 at 11:07 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I gave my buddy an unlocked/T-Mobile branded Pearl. He's got AT&T service. The CS reps said he'd never have a browser icon because the BB was originally TMo branded. But the second I had him register with the network he got his service books and the browser icon showed up. BAM!

HoFo info: 1
Customer Service: 0

Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #18
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

As a PSA to new folks with Blackberrys, the procedure for getting your service books to your device varies by carrier. With T-Mobile you have to log into your MyTMobile page on the web and do it. For AT&T it's much easier and accomplished without using the web.

For AT&T, on your device go to Settings or Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table. From there, use the Menu key and select the Register option. Your service books should be sent immediately to your Blackberry, but it could take up to 20 minutes or so to start receiving email.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
As a PSA to new folks with Blackberrys, the procedure for getting your service books to your device varies by carrier. With T-Mobile you have to log into your MyTMobile page on the web and do it. For AT&T it's much easier and accomplished without using the web.

For AT&T, on your device go to Settings or Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table. From there, use the Menu key and select the Register option. Your service books should be sent immediately to your Blackberry, but it could take up to 20 minutes or so to start receiving email.
That same method works also with TMo. At least it did for me for the past four years.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Always worked for me with both carriers. You should actually get them automatically but both methods for manually getting the service books should work on either carrier.
Closed Thread