TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I was asking a serious question Tbol, As I really didnt know about the suit. I really wasnt trying to flame at all. I am reading the suit now.

Sorry if my post came across as snippy as some call it. There really was nothing meant by it at all.
Peace brother.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #62
Cap41

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!

I got this working on my 8800 (Bell) BB...its kind of confusing but it works...you basically download the map to a microsd card...so the map is stored on your device....than the gps works fine.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #63
kdrweez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap41 View Post
Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!

I got this working on my 8800 (Bell) BB...its kind of confusing but it works...you basically download the map to a microsd card...so the map is stored on your device....than the gps works fine.
Doesn't Bell have the GPS unlocked normally?

In other news, I decided to join the bunches who have called Verizon to harass. I gave them a speech that (not to toot my own horn) impressed my law student friend in the car with with me. I touched on pretty much every point that people here have against VZW's GPS deal, as well as suggesting that I'd pay the $10/mo if they'd let me use any application (my opinion). They transferred me to some "higher" customer support department, then a complaint department. I left my mark, and they said they will file it. That probably means they will take a coffee break and go discuss gas prices in the next cubicle over, but still couldn't hurt. I'm also kinda planning on calling once every week or 2 to check the progress of my complaint. Takes 10 minutes of my free time
Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #64
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I just emailed my government rep.....She said she can add the GPS feature to my 8830 for $9.50.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #65
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That gives you Verizon Navigator GPS app. You still can't use it with other applications that support the built in GPS.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #66
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

IMO I don't care if Verizon locks or disables features on my BB as long as they discount the phone to reflect the disabled features. Why should I pay the same price as someone at Sprint, AT&T, ect. While their phones are FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my VZW 8830 or 8330 is gimped. Now I recently explained that to an 8yr old and he even under stands the difference. Unlike some people. Especially Verizon.

Last edited by BigA; 06-02-2008 at 03:58 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #67
BigA

Last thought. I really do feel for Verizon simply because I hope that with all complaints and VZW bashing out there that I hope it was profitable for Verizon to charge for this VZnavigator access. My gut feeling is that it was not profitable for VZW, every user I know of that has a Verizon 8830 has not purchased VZnavigator or has and has canceled the service.

Would it be of any interest to do a poll on who has the service or not. I would like to see some real world numbers. My bet is it's less than 1% of BB 8830 users on VZnavigator.

Last edited by BigA; 06-02-2008 at 04:11 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #68
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
IMO I don't care if Verizon locks or disables features on my BB as long as they discount the phone to reflect the disabled features. Why should I pay the same price as someone at Sprint, AT&T, ect. While their phones are FULLY FUNCTIONAL and my VZW 8830 or 8330 is gimped. Now I recently explained that to an 8yr old and he even under stands the difference. Unlike some people. Especially Verizon.
Sprint cant do MMS so you cant use sprint as a fully capable device.

I know ten or so people who pay for the service and love it. I have paid for it and it worked great. You already got a break on the price when you didnt pay full retail.

Last edited by Dawg; 06-02-2008 at 08:25 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #69
hollywoodfrodo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Only way to get GPS Activated - Cause a storm

I was ticked about the whole GPS fiasco. And I did do research and had heard from several places that it was disabled by Verizon but also from others that it wasn't. Ultimately I had an online chat w/Verizon Sales rep who asked me where I had heard it was disabled and said that was misinformation. She then said that they didn't disable it and it could be used with any software including 3rd Party. Then she said "I just checked to make sure and yes, it can be used with any 3rd Party software even if you don't subscribe to VZ Navigator."

Obviously she had no idea what she was talking about, but I print-screened the entire conversation so I would have proof and amo to use in complaining. So far I've gotten nowhere with conversations to "executive" Customer Service reps, but if Verizon gets enough angry customers, they might consider a change.

I mean, they know they have us by the balls since they hands down have the best network at least in most places, so they may just figure that they can do what they want and we're not going to leave them. But that's a crappy way to do business. And if enough people make waves, you never know. Could be a Verizon GPS revolution!!!

I'm off to write a letter to the President, and the CEO, and the BBB, and the .................................................. .......................
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #70
BigA

Quote:
Sprint cant do MMS so you cant use sprint as a fully capable device.
Give me a break. It's not like I can't simply plug in my bb to desktop manager and download them off the phone for FREE. I would gladly take crippled MMS over gimped GPS anytime.

Problem is I am locked to VZW for the moment, work phone. But it won't be long before our CFO gets sick and tired of $$VZW$$. Thats when I make a sales pitch for Sprint or AT&T. Quite honestly I think that VZW could miss our 6 grand a month with service with them for the last 5yrs.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #71
Dawg
No longer Registered.

What does downloading them to the computer have to do with MMS. At least stay on topic. I stated they cant do MMS. I am not going to get into the who GPS topic again its been discussed enough on this forum. So there is your Break.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #72
10ACTony
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashg View Post
For all of Verizon's misgivings they still have one of the lowest churn rates in the industry and some of the highest adds per quarter. Sure, their Walled Garden approach is annoying as heck and they nickle and dime you to death, but for many of us their presence and service are the best in the area and far better than the competition.

The day you find the combination of phone and service that has 100% of what you want and absolutely nothing that you don't like will never come. My 8830 is a quality phone with many features that make me happy to use it, gimped GPS or not.
Man you got that right! I switch my wifes phone to the "More bars" (but lots less quality) for a very short time and came back to Good Ole VZW in less than 6 months. AFAIC VZW's the Best. I can use my 8830 in places where a friends More Bars BB can't.

Last edited by 10ACTony; 06-03-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #73
BigA

Quote:
What does downloading them to the computer have to do with MMS. At least stay on topic. I stated they cant do MMS. I am not going to get into the who GPS topic again its been discussed enough on this forum. So there is your Break.
MMS implies you are trying to send images, audio and video. All of which you can download via Desktop manager.

If you need me to draw it out for you I can.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #74
Dawg
No longer Registered.

yes but you cant send and that is what the discussion is about, do I need to spell it out for you?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #75
BigA

Quote:
yes but you cant send and that is what the discussion is about, do I need to spell it out for you?
No thanks I just did.

Another Verizon GPS HACKING thread

LOL!

Mods please lock this thread. We are going way off topic, and are starting to circle the wagons!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #76
haephaestus
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: head, Zippy

Seems kind of drastic to base corporate buying decisions on whether your carrier gives you GPS or not, no? I would understand consumer-side needs for GPS but first and foremost would be whether you're paying for a reliable network. We considered switching off Verizon for reasons other than GPS but always went back because you can't control where employees who need to be reached decide to make their homes. That is, unless your business needs GPS to conduct its business. If that were the case, I could think of better handheld solutions for navigation than the Blackberry.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #77
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
You see, I'm not so sure about it being resellers...

Had VZW initially said anything to the effect of "GPS requires activation or extra cost" instead of just saying "built-in GPS" in their own initial adverts then I could see how VZW has a leg up. They didn't, and now they should have to pay the piper.
Lets see, by that line of logic, that add you posted also says it works on GSM/GPRS networks, but doesn't say that to get THAT to work that you must activate a service plan at a cost. So should they have to "pay the piper" because they're not giving you free cell service too?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #78
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Currently AT&T sells the Curve with a new contract for $49, and T-Mobile sells it with a new contract for $249. Which of those two prices do you think you shouldn't have to pay?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #79
BFEINZIMER

Quote:
You see, I'm not so sure about it being resellers...

Had VZW initially said anything to the effect of "GPS requires activation or extra cost" instead of just saying "built-in GPS" in their own initial adverts then I could see how VZW has a leg up. They didn't, and now they should have to pay the piper.
Verizon should have never sent me that... ;)

My scan still floats around! :P
Old 06-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #80
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It's a dead horse. This topic just gets folks all wound up.
My thoughts exactly. Here's a better idea for all those who think they have been "shafted":

Change providers.

Easy as pie!!
Closed Thread