BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Tapdance42
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default What does this symbol mean? (And, how can I get rid of it?)

Please Login to Remove!

I have the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition. Today a new "message indicator" symbol appeared on my screen, just underneath the time. It is an envelope with a star, similar to the one that appears when I have a new e-mail, except that the envelope is blue instead of yellow. I've checked my voice mail and all of my messages, and cannot seem to figure out what this is indicating. I also turned the phone on and off, but it's still there. Any idea what this means? Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Welcome to BBF!

Not sure about that blue mail icon but I checked out your smartphone's "getting started guide" but I couldn't find it > http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...kBerry_Zen.pdf

We'll see what the other 8830 folks have to say...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Tapdance42

Yes, I looked through the manual that came with the phone, but this symbol isn't in there anywhere. Hopefully somebody here can help...it's driving me crazy to think there are messages that I can't get!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapdance42 View Post
I have the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition. Today a new "message indicator" symbol appeared on my screen, just underneath the time. It is an envelope with a star, similar to the one that appears when I have a new e-mail, except that the envelope is blue instead of yellow. I've checked my voice mail and all of my messages, and cannot seem to figure out what this is indicating. I also turned the phone on and off, but it's still there. Any idea what this means? Thanks!!
Have you installed any other applications that might have a notification system?

Try this: press "f" to bring up your profiles. Scroll the "advanced," click, and then pick a profile.

Do you see anything in the list that isn't a stock piece of software?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
MLester

Model: 8707h
Carrier: Docomo

Can you take a screenshot and post it here?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Tapdance42

I haven't installed any applications--I don't even know how to do that! I tried pressing "f" but the phone seems to think I'm dialing a number beginning with 6.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to take a screenshot, but the icon is blue with a red star in the center, if that helps...
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Do you have Blackberry Messenger or any other IM active? It may be a message from one of them. Just guessing here.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Tapdance42

How do I find out if I have Blackberry Messenger? I've never used it, but maybe it's on there anyway?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Wirelessly posted (Titanium BlackBerry® 8320)

You should have an icon that looks like some text bubble out from comic books with the BlackBerry logo inside it.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Tapdance42

Yes! I opened that and the mystery icon went away. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
mspistivity

Model: 8330

Wirelessly posted

We were all new, once! Welcome!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapdance42 View Post
I haven't installed any applications--I don't even know how to do that! I tried pressing "f" but the phone seems to think I'm dialing a number beginning with 6.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to take a screenshot, but the icon is blue with a red star in the center, if that helps...
Now that it seems this has been tracked down to BB Messenger, here's some tips on why you're getting a 6...

You have you BB setup (I suppose the default) to let you dial from the home screen. This is useful if you want to quick dial, but not so much if you want to use hotkeys to jump to various applications (e.g., L=calendar, A=address book, O=options, M=Messages, etc.). If you're someone that makes lots of outgoing calls, leaving it the way it is is good. If you're someone that uses lots of applications, then changing to not dial from the home page is a good idea so that you can use hotkeys.

(If you elect for hotkeys, to dial you need to press the green phone button first)

To change, press the green phone button, then the menu (BB logo) button, then Options, then General Options. "Dial from Home Screen" is halfway down.

That said, if you keep dial from home, to get to profiles (this is how you're notified of phone calls, mail messages, and all sort of other things -- think "ringtones," volume, and vibrate), roll the trackball upward until the speaker icon in the upper right is highlighted. Press the trackball to change the profile (e.g., "vibrate" or "quiet" or "phone only"). Note that this may be in a different place (or even look different) depending on the theme on your BB.

Good luck!
Closed Thread