BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
doabbs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Torch touch screen goes haywire?

Please Login to Remove!

Since I first got my Torch yesterday morning I've had sporadic touch screen issues. What happens is that it will randomly stop working as expected, so you touch the Q on the virtual keyboard but it will instead type an R, then you type w and you get a w and a g. Thought it was a one time thing since a battery pull resolved but then last night it started acting up again and now is stuck in this mode. Anyone else notice this?

Other issues I've run into, Browser crashes trying to enter in URL (java error). Clicking on the top area on the home screen and then clicking on Options doesn't do anything. Calls sounds like I'm in a tin can. Last but not least, when I ended a call yesterday there was just a wallpaper on the homescreen, no apps no matter what I did. Finally pivoted the device horizontally and then back to vertical and they magically reappeared.

Needless to say sounds like I got a bad device, but just wondering if I'm alone on these.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Id almost suspect the OS as much as the device.

Confirm your running the latest OS, if so, exchange!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
VRaptor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A

I just got mine yesterday afternoon and I haven't had any of those problems yet. I'd take it back to the store and get a replacement.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
JEEPers
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 22C60153

Try adjusting the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Make sure its not super sensitive.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPers View Post
Try adjusting the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Make sure its not super sensitive.
I am on my second Torch. My first one had a touch screen defect that caused it to jumble numbers.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
bsb101

Default mine is acting up too...after a week!!

Ok i am happy that my device is not the only one....not happy that its acting up.
When i press one letter sometimes 2 every key on the top row gives an r, every key on the second row gives an f and every key on the last row gives a C. help
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
msmoot

I am having the exact same touchscreen issues with my BB Torch - now less than weeks old. I can press any touchscreen key and either it won't register, or it registers as a different key that's located two keys away to the right or left. Orientation does not seem to matter and it can be cleared up temporarily by a battery pull - but the same issue always returns in an hour or two. I bought the extended warranty/in-store replacement agreement thru Best Buy and will go do a phone swap with them today.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
msmoot

...less than two weeks old. Sorry.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
mrandery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by doabbs View Post
Since I first got my Torch yesterday morning I've had sporadic touch screen issues. What happens is that it will randomly stop working as expected, so you touch the Q on the virtual keyboard but it will instead type an R, then you type w and you get a w and a g. Thought it was a one time thing since a battery pull resolved but then last night it started acting up again and now is stuck in this mode. Anyone else notice this?
Similar problem here - http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...or-issues.html

I've been looking, but have not found a solution

Did you find a solution?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Mine has been acting up for a couple days now. A battery pull fixes it.

Running the latest OS - .246.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
mrandery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

A battery pull fixes it, however, in anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours the problem is back.

When I press the P key on the touchscreen the "Q" on the other side gets highlighted at the same time and both the P and Q get typed. No matter what key gets pressed on the first row, the "Q" also gets entered.
On the second row, same problem - but this time the "A" is added instead of "Q"
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Mobility
Exclamation

Same problem here, I posted about it in my own thread and then found this thread.

What gives? I did not notice this problem for the first few days but I am definitely noticing it now. I has happened twice now in the last 12 hours or so. Battery pull fixes it.

Not very happy now. Software glitch would be okay, hardware is what I am worried about. Running the latest OS 9800, 6.0.0.695/6.0.0.246 (Multilanguage) on Bell Mobility network. Phone is two weeks old only and I barely used the touchscreen to date.

Edit: I just tried the settings from this thread and will wait and see whether this problem comes up again. I am not sure what the heck is going on but it is annoying as hell and makes me very worried about hardware being defective as much as I try to believe that this is a software defect.

Last edited by dejanh; 10-18-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
Same problem here, I posted about it in my own thread and then found this thread.

What gives? I did not notice this problem for the first few days but I am definitely noticing it now. I has happened twice now in the last 12 hours or so. Battery pull fixes it.

Not very happy now. Software glitch would be okay, hardware is what I am worried about. Running the latest OS 9800, 6.0.0.695/6.0.0.246 (Multilanguage) on Bell Mobility network. Phone is two weeks old only and I barely used the touchscreen to date.

Edit: I just tried the settings from this thread and will wait and see whether this problem comes up again. I am not sure what the heck is going on but it is annoying as hell and makes me very worried about hardware being defective as much as I try to believe that this is a software defect.
Suggested fix did not work. The problem is back again. That is 4 times now in the last 24 hours, and 4 times over about 12-16 hours of effective use. The phone is basically unusable as it stands. What the heck is going on?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Deep88
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ROGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrandery View Post
A battery pull fixes it, however, in anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours the problem is back.

When I press the P key on the touchscreen the "Q" on the other side gets highlighted at the same time and both the P and Q get typed. No matter what key gets pressed on the first row, the "Q" also gets entered.
On the second row, same problem - but this time the "A" is added instead of "Q"
I'm having the same issues with mine. I called Rogers today and had them send me a replacement.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far I had to replace my Torch 4 times, on my 5th phone now in 15 days of owning one. First 4 were deemed DOA. Two had the exact same screen issue we are talking about here (I mentioned mine before in this thread), one completly died within 3 hours of activating it, and one had a defective trackpad. All but the phone that died were Mexico 5 and those with the screen problem had a fair amount of screen wiggle, both left-right and top-bottom.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
SkipperTO

Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Torch touch screen goes haywire?

So I have the same issue with the phone only 12 hours old - and I've pulled the battery which has fixed it. My question is - should I return the phone altogether anyway? Is this something I'm going to have to put up with? Suggestions?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Return it. I went through 3 phones with this same problem and the 4th does not have it. It's a faulty phone. It will only get worse with time. Try to get a phone made in Mexico 4, Finland, or Canada.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
interj

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I guess I'll call AT&T again. On the phone with support for 90 minutes. They made me wipe the phone and start over..I just want a phone that works.....
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
interj

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Just received a new device which is not experiencing the problem so far....I would recommend a swap out if you can.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
jfremillard

Carrier: Rogers

I got mine at the end of decembre 2010. This exact problem started mid february so about 6 weeks later (it used to work just fine until then). If, let's say I receive an emai and I want to touch on the new email icon, another icon get highlighted like the Youtube icon or something and the email app does not start. I need to use the trackpad to get to the email and once I am there, if I try to scroll by touching the screen, it zooms instead. Very annoying... Yesterday, I pulled the battery 3 times to fix it. It does fix it, but the problem reappears minutes later. I am calling today to have a replacement sent, but reading this thread, I do not have much hope. If the problem appears on the new phone, I will consider getting a Curve instead and a refund.
Closed Thread