BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
lateralus

Model: none!
Default Opening a file from a web page

Please Login to Remove!

I have been working with several of my users and they are complaining that they can't open PDF files from links on web pages. Well I did some research and it seems that every file type linked to a web page has issues. I have varying degrees of success when a file is sent via email but downloading them from a web page is a no-go all (most) the time. The end user insists that other Blackberry users she knows have no issue opening files.

Also I have noticed that some of the PDF files are about 3.5 MB in size and I was wondering if that was an issue.

My stats

BES for Exchange 4.03 Hot fix 2
Server 2003 (SP-1), Exchange 2003 (SP-1)

The Blackberries are 7250's and 7290's.
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus
The end user insists that other Blackberry users she knows have no issue opening files.
It seems that you have forgotten the two most important rules of support.
  1. Don't believe the end-users, they lie!
  2. Don't believe the help desk. They believe the end-users.
Sorry, cant help with your PDF problems.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
lateralus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
It seems that you have forgotten the two most important rules of support.
  1. Don't believe the end-users, they lie!
  2. Don't believe the help desk. They believe the end-users.
Sorry, cant help with your PDF problems.
Yeah I know about end users, and I am the help desk as well as the BES administrator.... I have to give a valiant effort.

Microsoft's new smart phones with email via Exchange 2003 SP-2 is looking more and more promising if I can't do basic web browsing on our Blackberries.

I'll guess I'll head over to the local Verizon store and see if I have better luck with a 7130c.

Last edited by lateralus; 02-14-2006 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

lol

microsoft's new bla bla.....doesn't even work yet. and doesnt look very good to me. Look into it, you'll see.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
lateralus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpheous
lol

microsoft's new bla bla.....doesn't even work yet. and doesnt look very good to me. Look into it, you'll see.

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks, until then I'll try to figure this out.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon
Default Does too!

Quote:
lol

Does too. I am a Mobile Data Services Administrator for a large Gov. entity. I basically sell Mobile Mobile Data Services to our departments and agencies. We are now using several of Palms Treo 700W with Microsofts Mobile 5 with the Feature Pack and Exchange 2003 SP2 and it works fabulous. I've been a loyal and devoted BES admin for years and we have BES 4.0 SP3 with 400+ various BB devices and alot of our so called "Crackberry Adicts" are seriously concidering switching to the Microsoft devices. And now that it costs us over 11K+ and going up for a year of T-Support that used to cost 3.5K, I as an admin am like why spend so much for Blackberry when Microsofts technology is so much cheaper. This is even before we concider the RIM vs NTP litigation which I believe RIM will win in the long run. But still the Windows Mobile 5 devices are pretty swift and configuration is breeze. I expect the user volume on my BES to decrease and the number of Windows Mobile 5 devices in my Exchange Environment to increase and eventually the BES may just fade away thru attrition unless RIM has something up it's sleeve. I just want my customers to be happy and so far they really like those Palm 700w devices.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

RIM isn't going anywhere.

Does microsoft have any plans on making the email work with Domino or groupwise on theri mobile devices?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon
Default I agree

Quote:
RIM isn't going anywhere.

Does microsoft have any plans on making the email work with Domino or groupwise on theri mobile devices?

I agree, RIM is not going anywhere. They just have alot of very good competition comming up. As far as Domino or Groupwise support, I'm sure someone will develope a client to install on the devices to support syncronization those messaging platforms. But indigenously the Windows Mobile 5 OS with ActiveSync will only work with Exchange 2003s OWA. SP2 for Exchange 2003 adds admin support & the Push Technology for the Mobile Feature Pack that is now preinstalled on most of the Windows Mobile 5 devices.

The good thing about the Windows Mobile Devices is all that is needed to sync with the exchange server is an Internet connection. I was using a Dell Axim X30 with 802.11b WiFi and as long as I had a connection to a wireless access point somewhere I could sync with my Exchange 2003 email albeit not with Push capability. I have been doing this since we upgraded to Exchange 2003.