BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #101
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Rexguys;
I've become a heavy user of both Todomatrix and Ideamatrix. One issue with Todomatrix that is seriously limiting my use. I make extensive use of emails to generate Todo items. In Outlook, it's very easy to just drag them in their entirety into the Todo folder. With the existing size limitation on Todo Matrix it makes this capability much less effective. I understand why you want to keep the database small and fast but is there any way you can up the size limit at least a little?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #102
techphreak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Hi Rexguys;
I've become a heavy user of both Todomatrix and Ideamatrix. One issue with Todomatrix that is seriously limiting my use. I make extensive use of emails to generate Todo items. In Outlook, it's very easy to just drag them in their entirety into the Todo folder. With the existing size limitation on Todo Matrix it makes this capability much less effective. I understand why you want to keep the database small and fast but is there any way you can up the size limit at least a little?
I would welcome a bit more room as well, and this also could be helped by a little better management of how things come across. For example the list of addresses from the To: and cc: lists often end up taking up the entire item preventing even the subject from coming across. What would be better is to have subject come first as the title of the task, and then all I really need is the date, and who sent it for reference. And then if we can get a little more room in general for clipboard info, etc. that would be even better
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #103
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Hi Rexguys;

Message received. We are playing with it in lab. Another update on where we stand on this issue in a few weeks.

thanks,

--the REXguys
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #104
bostonnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Message received. We are playing with it in lab. Another update on where we stand on this issue in a few weeks.

thanks,

--the REXguys
Great! Looking forward to the update.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #105
bostonnerd

Quote:

thanks,

--the REXguys
Hi Rexguys;
Any update? Your few weeks is up . Also, any chance of having a web client option to disable timeouts? My PC is quite secure and I don't need to re-login all the time.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #106
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Increased ToDoMatrix Field Size Will Happen to Help with Creating Tasks from E-Mails

Quote:
Hi Rexguys;
Any update? Your few weeks is up . Also, any chance of having a web client option to disable timeouts? My PC is quite secure and I don't need to re-login all the time.
We are pretty happy with the results of lab testing the larger ToDoMatrix field size. The change will not be out for a number of weeks due to testing time. Expect to see it after the July 4th holiday.

As far as webclient logoff delay time customization, this would require the implementation of cookies to recognize the user, something that we don't do today. We have made a lot of other commitments and this is not on the active agenda at this time - but we may revisit again later. We are introducing some really excitiing enhancements over the upcoming months and just can't add more to the plate right now.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #107
bostonnerd

Quote:
We are pretty happy with the results of lab testing the larger ToDoMatrix field size. The change will not be out for a number of weeks due to testing time. Expect to see it after the July 4th holiday.

As far as webclient logoff delay time customization, this would require the implementation of cookies to recognize the user, something that we don't do today. We have made a lot of other commitments and this is not on the active agenda at this time - but we may revisit again later. We are introducing some really excitiing enhancements over the upcoming months and just can't add more to the plate right now.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to all the cool feature updates.

Understood on the timeout. It was a low priority ask ;)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #108
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

I sent in some ideas for todoMatrix, what does everyone think?

-Ability for users to have multiple databases (something we would pay extra for). Instead of having one database for items, give us multiple so those of us with tons of stuff to prioirtize can keep them within separate databases (i.e. - Work, Personal, Side Business, whatever, whatever)

-When editing a task item in todo, allow us to change Folder thru alerts by clicking a hot key instead of clicking the track ball to change items.

-Possibly allow ability to change due date on multiple tasks items at one time.

-Allow us to specify a time limit to snooze if we choose snooze before reminded again

-If task assigned to a delegate, have ability to auto email them a task and notify us that it did instead of manually sending emails (I delegate a lot, what can I say!)

-Allow users to create their own views and to hide system views that we dont need to see.

-THE BIG ONE FOR ME - I feel that RexWireless is almost there, but I think they should consider creating a today screen to access all of the data in a database to show all of tasks due today, past due, future tasks, whatever. I do not mind looking at the views, but just having all on one screen and selecting to have that screen pop on when the program is accessed would be nice. Plus taking it to the next level, and basically linking the products that they have and will develop into a full-fledged PIM for the BB.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #109
RichardSwe

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingulaar
Default status of 5D?

I'm wondering how the anticipated next version of ToDoMatrix is coming along --

thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #110
brufi

Model: Curve
Carrier: T-Online Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
A) Ability for users to have multiple databases (something we would pay extra for). Instead of having one database for items, give us multiple so those of us with tons of stuff to prioirtize can keep them within separate databases (i.e. - Work, Personal, Side Business, whatever, whatever)

B) THE BIG ONE FOR ME - I feel that RexWireless is almost there, but I think they should consider creating a today screen to access all of the data in a database to show all of tasks due today, past due, future tasks, whatever. I do not mind looking at the views, but just having all on one screen and selecting to have that screen pop on when the program is accessed would be nice.
I selected the points I want to comment and named them A and B

on A) That is what I use drawers/folders for. I run several companies and have named drawers 3digitcompanycodedrawertopic. By using the (J)ump shortcut I am there in an instant.
MUlitple databased would pull things apart that I happily how got into one place within TMX.

on B) I reset the order of the views. My most used view is "due today and past due". This I set as the last view in the list.

by pressing "x b return" am am in my costum view. The 2 other often used views are secend and third last so a short scroll beween b and return gets me there too.

Works well for me.

Bruno
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #111
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSwe View Post
I'm wondering how the anticipated next version of ToDoMatrix is coming along --

thanks.
From a post in the Aftermarket Software Thread I believe they stated the next release was a few weeks away. They also gave us a list of some of the features we can expect.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #112
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Sucks

This is one area I would LOVE to have an application that worked as well as it did on my Treo. There are a bunch of great ToDo lists, one especially useful called Bonsai. The problem I had with ToDoMatrix wasn't some of the bells and whistles but just the simple stuff like UI, ability to change fonts to something more legible, etc. Bonsai also doesn't use the Outlook database - pity, but it is what it is. You only have so much you can work with. But if you have an extra database for your ToDo's, it will be fine provided there is a desktop application - and there is one here as well.

I also agree with the Today screen comment but I had to make do with Bonsai for the Treo, and lived with it. The functionality was SO easy (e.g. adding a new item consists of hitting return and the hierarchical list continues) and this ease of use needs to be in there. Putting the key combos on the bottom made it again too typical Blackberry and it doesn't need to be an app where it involves memorizing 2 dozen keystrokes. Scroll, click or return.

I'm not sure what is taking so long for the update but if they just did some marginal fixes to ToDo Matrix like the above, it would be a winner and I'd buy it. Until then it just looks and feels very crude (including the way lists of tasks appear like paragraph returned items one underneath the next.)
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #113
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
This is one area I would LOVE to have an application that worked as well as it did on my Treo. There are a bunch of great ToDo lists, one especially useful called Bonsai. The problem I had with ToDoMatrix wasn't some of the bells and whistles but just the simple stuff like UI, ability to change fonts to something more legible, etc. Bonsai also doesn't use the Outlook database - pity, but it is what it is. You only have so much you can work with. But if you have an extra database for your ToDo's, it will be fine provided there is a desktop application - and there is one here as well.

I also agree with the Today screen comment but I had to make do with Bonsai for the Treo, and lived with it. The functionality was SO easy (e.g. adding a new item consists of hitting return and the hierarchical list continues) and this ease of use needs to be in there. Putting the key combos on the bottom made it again too typical Blackberry and it doesn't need to be an app where it involves memorizing 2 dozen keystrokes. Scroll, click or return.

I'm not sure what is taking so long for the update but if they just did some marginal fixes to ToDo Matrix like the above, it would be a winner and I'd buy it. Until then it just looks and feels very crude (including the way lists of tasks appear like paragraph returned items one underneath the next.)
You may pick any font you like on ToDoMatrix or IdeaMatrix in user preferences, found in "Edit Profile" off the main menu.

Sorry that you don't like the way we did our user interface - a lot of people do like it - and a lot of people do like an application with a lot of hot*key shortcuts. We offer free trials and would encourage people to try it for themselves, since there are obviously strong opinions in both directions.

To answer your question about timing, the new release adds substantial functionality and is therefore taking more time in both development and testing, but we are not becoming more like the Treo application you love.

Here are a few highlights as to what is coming soon:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post632882

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #114
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You may pick any font you like on ToDoMatrix or IdeaMatrix in user preferences, found in "Edit Profile" off the main menu.
How so? The only thing I could see was changing font size in "Profile" not the font type and it's called "Font Choice" but I'm only given "Tiny" through "Extra Large." I'm apparently not the only one not fond fond of the preselected font which does not use the system font chosen.

Quote:
Sorry that you don't like the way we did our user interface - a lot of people do like it - and a lot of people do like an application with a lot of hot*key shortcuts. We offer free trials and would encourage people to try it for themselves, since there are obviously strong opinions in both directions.
I'm not trying to knock over a product you put in more effort than most. I'm trying to give you areas where it could use improvement, IMHO. You're free to disagree but I'll help fund anyone who can add some flexibility to what you can see and ho you can choose to view your lists.

The layout for to do items is not always geared on "due dates" like it is in todomatrix but also allows for a general open and close outline of things you need to do and alarms can be set. What if I want to see a general outline of all the cateogry items I need to get done this month and then allow me to choose to drill down to each one I want to see?

Coming from the Palm/PPC world I've noticed that some Blackberry apps suffer from what I call "superfluous click overload." Changing the font is one such example. Instead giving me a dropdown to change the font that says 'change font' just give me the choices and let me scroll through them. Instead, I've got "save, change option, close" which gets me to another menu which I have to back out of and click again too. I've noticed that this is the same with every option and in some cases is a Blackberry standard. The worst application of all as to be OperaMini which is a real challenge to use... no, I take that back. The useful Mobipocket Reader is the worst and Operamini a close second. This is also why some of the others were a BEAR to use, e.g. the simple checkbox which you should be able to check/uncheck by scrolling over pulls up a dialog box to say "check it, uncheck it, save" etc. It's a clicking nightmare outside of an otherwise well done built in phonebook and email application. Many a Palm/PPC owner will probably tell you that.

Quote:
To answer your question about timing, the new release adds substantial functionality and is therefore taking more time in both development and testing, but we are not becoming more like the Treo application you love.
In the same way I've taken a look at ToDo Matrix, it might be a good idea for RexWireless to look at what happens on the Palm and PPC devices.

Now I could be wrong, but from what I read, the desktop component uses web-based access for the "desktop" component and you only get a time-based ability to use it. What was great with my Palm application, like many to do lists, is a simple Windows-based application that syncs with your PDA and allows you to add/remove tasks. While the web access is nice, it not only is terribly inconvenient if I'm not connected to the Internet and, to be frank, I hate how many ASPs in the Blackberry world seem to force this down your throat. I don't know if this is a BB-issue directly but it seems like the folks at DataViz have this down. Drag your docs to your PC card and you can view and edit them easily. You don't need to go through some server -- especially not a third party server like RexWireless, no offense intended.

As I said, you've done a very good job on this application and kudos to you. There are things that I like it a lot. But at $60 and no true desktop application, I'm not ready to get there and unfortunately it's not flexible to me because I'm not always connected to the Internet. If this is the path you're taking with the web application as well as not giving some liberties to create true to-do outlines and more flexible viewing options, that's your choice. Right now you're one of the few games in town which makes this an easier choice for most. I guess that's part of it and you don't have to make the changes. I was hoping you would.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #115
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus View Post
With NextAction! I feel I get nothing more than a category. You can't even see how many tasks within one category - you have to view all categories one by one! That is insane! Also they don't have due date or alert function. So to me, the NextAction! is un-usable, and at their price, it is not worth the money at all. So you are warned, don't waste your money on NextAction! I regret my purchase.
To be fair, Next Action is a great idea with horrific execution and is typically overpriced as most Blackberry software is at $20. Not seeing how many tasks per category in the drop down menu wasn't so bad. Essentially what it does is enable you to put categories to your Tasks Manager for Outlook by using the existing tags. It's great in that all you do is use the drop down to sort through your stuff, easy as pie. Should have been done this way on the Blackberry.

What is atrocious is that this is all Next Action did. When adding a new task they decided not to include setting any other variables you'd usually get, e.g. due date, alerts, levels, as the above reviewer said. I downloaded a demo and was shocked to see that the "settings" aka preferences to set consisted of ONE variable. You can't set anything else like colors, etc. or anything truly useful.

What is unfortunate is that the Blackberry has become consumerized and it is neither here nor there and there is a dearth of software for it. Hence developers can usually get away with crap like this. This is in contrast to incredible software I've spent on it too, which happens rarely (my chat software is incredible - Jivetalk). ToDoMatrix is a vastly superior piece of software but to me it unfortunately won't do at all because I wouldn't spend $60 on what essentially to me is another ToDo manager for my Blackberry only and without the usual options I'm looking for and are present in the PDA world. But make no mistake, the usability differences between the two are ridiculous.

Last edited by slinky; 08-19-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #116
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
How so? The only thing I could see was changing font size in "Profile" not the font type and it's called "Font Choice" but I'm only given "Tiny" through "Extra Large." I'm apparently not the only one not fond fond of the preselected font which does not use the system font chosen.
We apologize that we didn't make the font choice more obvious. In the same list that includes font sizes, the last choice is "user default" which sets our application to the font type and size that the user has set on the BlackBerry. Our next release will default to the user's default... in retrospect, that should have been the default choice all along.

As far as the rest of your comments, we really do appreciate your perspective and points of view. Many of the features we come out with did start as user requests. We were simply trying to say that in the short-term timeframe, we do not have a large scale overhaul of the UI planned. We do have many things in discussion for the future; however, we don't reveal details about future releases because sometimes things don't work out as planned - just the realities of software development.

On the desktop front, based on the volume of emails we get, around 75% of our customers are pretty darn happy with the web-based REXdesktop.com "desktop". Of the remainder, 20% want an interface to Outlook and want to use Outlook as their "local desktop". The other 5% want a true REX-PC-resident application. It may surprise you but we are in the camp of wanting to provide the latter someday because it offers us far more flexibility to add value, but are facing the realities of the far more voluminous Outlook customer requests first. So, in the near-term, we will work on an Outlook interface and then reconsider a REX-PC-resident application thereafter.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #117
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Wow - Maybe I am far more alone than I had thought, but as a longtime Outlook user I have been looking high and low for a way to abandon Outlook altogether! Though it is the most comprehensive PIM widely available, encompassing contacts, tasks, notes, and a calendar in one package, it fails to do any of these things well. It just has them all together. Plus the fact that each successive release of MS Office becomes increasingly difficult to purchase as an upgrade due to the prohibitive costs - even for current user to upgrade to.

I have been desperately trying to ween myself off of Outlook entirely by using a combination of other applications - unfortunately most calendars that are available are online calendars, such as Google Calendar, 30 Boxes, and Spongecell. The latter two are the way of the future in my opinion, mainly because of the Web 2.0-type Ajax input features, such as real language parsing. Just type in "Appt w/Dr Jones wed at 3" and the calendar event is created on the following Wednesday at 3:00 PM - yes, some of them are smart enough to know that such an appointment would not commonly occur at 3 AM, and can also parse things like Wed as the immediately following Wednesday and "next wed" as the Wednesday after that. Google calendar is naturally the largest and has the most integration capabilities with other applications, but it does not yet have such intuitive input features.

However using such calendars and other tools like online task/todo websites can be a little tough to coordinate unless there is a way to get them all to talk to one another. Mobile phone input features are making some of these tools more accessible at any time, day or night.

I first posted some trepidation about not having my todo's database available on my own desktop PC, as I fear, like many, my data becoming lost if for any reason REXwireless were to disappear, or if the day comes that I could not afford to renew my subscription to their desktop solution on their own server. However I then compared this concept to the many acquaintances of mine who use MS Exchange servers to store their PIM data exclusively, so they can reap the ease and benefits of OTA instant synchronization. They all seem quite happy with that sort of solution and do not harbor fears of someday losing access to that data. (Though I am still not quite able to drop that concern personally!) However now that I have been using todoMatrix and ideaMatrix for the past week - and using it quite extensively, I might add - I have grown to like the Web*Desktop server access quite a lot. The interface is a good one, it has been available round the clock so far for me - though I am fortunate to have an always-on, super-fast cable internet connection available at all times. (Though admittedly, losing that connection due to technical issues for several days is a disaster I do not wish to contemplate!!)

While there are many features and applications I naturally miss by having recently switched to a Blackberry device after 12 years (actually more) of the Apple Newton/Epoch platforms, then Palm/HandSpring devices, a brief fling with the Symbian platform, and finally 11 different Windows CE/Pocket PC/Windows Mobile devices... I am not entirely regretful with the limitations of the Blackberry platform, and I am completely overjoyed NOT to be resetting my device two to three times daily at a minimum and performing hard resets every 2 months as I have been with WM devices. Not to mention the unscheduled resets that are a regular part of living with Windows Mobile. (Many installs/uninstalls and running lots of beta applications almost ensure having to do all that due to registry corruption and extremely poor memory management of those devices). I can definitely live with the Blackberry limitations (primarily the strict API availability that limits the amount and the quality of 3rd party software development) because that, like the Symbian platform, is what allows them to offer devices that are so much more stable in what they see as their core competencies - namely extremely reliable voice and messaging communications.

To be completely honest, REXwireless is the kind of developer that I have come to appreciate over many decades (Soooo many decades - I am ancient!) of working with software developers and their applications. I have communicated with them numerous times in the last 10 days or so and they are unbelievably fast with responses, and that does not include any of the annoying auto-responder messages telling me they have "...received my inquiry and will be in touch with me, possibly even sometime within the current decade." I have actually not seen any kind of auto-response from REXwireless, but instead have received a personal reply every time I have written them -- even the suggestions sent from the application on the device itself. And always within an hour or two; most of the time within minutes. And every single response has been a serious reply, directly on point, with no stock or standard developer-"softspeak". One change I suggested was made immediately and will be in the next release. Others, while possibly never implemented at all, were replied to and discussed extensively with me as to what they are thinking about it, and why they might or might not implement such a feature. Never a brush-off. Always a respectful and thoughtful reply. In all honesty, I am not accustomed to such attention from a software developer whose product I just purchased about a week ago and about which I most likely do not know even a part of all that I will know.

Yes, the "Matrix twins", todoMatrix and ideaMatrix, are not inexpensive applications -- to put it mildly! And the desktop solution is server-bound and is available only via a separate annual fee after the initial free period (though I admit to having grown to like it quite a bit after a week of usage). But I am enjoying these products immensely -- I am more than a little obsessive when it comes to task/note/goal management -- and frankly I find these programs to be more productive than anything similar I have used previously on a handheld platform - especially considering the extensive developer involvement in customer satisfaction.

Anyway....Just my never-so-humble opinion...

Jim
Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #118
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

I just started using ToDoMatrix today. On a Sunday of all days. I thought I merely had two ToDo items, but as I started to organize myself I kept finding more information I needed to add. I didn't realize just how badly I need a system like this. I juggle so many projects at once, and this software is the best I have seen to keep your ToDo items active.

I am more than impressed. And I think this is going to allow me to be better at what I do. The combo of web app and Blackberry app is fantastic. It's really required to keep data safe, and up to date. It's what I expect from my Blackberry applications.

And here I thought I didn't need yet another application. I was quite satisfied with my current set of apps. Glad I was browsing today.

-Alex
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #119
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
I just started using ToDoMatrix today. On a Sunday of all days. I thought I merely had two ToDo items, but as I started to organize myself I kept finding more information I needed to add. I didn't realize just how badly I need a system like this. I juggle so many projects at once, and this software is the best I have seen to keep your ToDo items active.

I am more than impressed. And I think this is going to allow me to be better at what I do. The combo of web app and Blackberry app is fantastic. It's really required to keep data safe, and up to date. It's what I expect from my Blackberry applications.

And here I thought I didn't need yet another application. I was quite satisfied with my current set of apps. Glad I was browsing today.

-Alex

Your in luck, a new release is due out any day now that addresses their 7D initiative. Be sure to check that out when it comes out!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #120
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Newest ToDoMatrix (version 2007.09.14.4x) is available

FYI, we have adjusted a few items in the 2007.09.01.4x release for the better with the 2007.09.14.4x point release, now available for download.

The detail is here:
REXwireless Software Release Notes

If you have not seen the summary for the major 2007.09.01.4x release, it is available here on BlackBerry Forums:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post688599

Please upgrade when convenient.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--