BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Hi all,
I would be interested to know if there are any building trades people out there that use Blackberries?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

All I know, is I wish my general contractor had one. It is almost impossible to get a hold of him! I am sure he will be calling soon, its time for him to collect another check.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaglin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Hi all,
I would be interested to know if there are any building trades people out there that use Blackberries?

I am a manufacturers rep and my customer base is largely made up of subcontractors in the trades. Have not seen alot of BBs around, mainly push to talk phones. The guys in the office are e-mail based, they guys in the field use phones. That will probably change but that is the way it is for most of my customers.

What is you perspective?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
All I know, is I wish my general contractor had one. It is almost impossible to get a hold of him! I am sure he will be calling soon, its time for him to collect another check.
Contractors that don't have them don't know what they are missing out on. Just yesterday I had a 1:00PM appointment with a client. She e-mailed me to change the appointment time. If I didn't have my BB I would have driven to her jobsite for nothing. I consider it an indispensible tool!

I also like to use it to tell my clients "I need to collect a check!"In fact, I think this is my favorite BB operation.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Quote:

Hi all,

I am a manufacturers rep and my customer base is largely made up of subcontractors in the trades. Have not seen alot of BBs around, mainly push to talk phones. The guys in the office are e-mail based, they guys in the field use phones. That will probably change but that is the way it is for most of my customers.

What is you perspective?
All I know is that most likely not many trades people are aware of the benefits they could reap by deploying a BB. I have a door and millwork shop and everyday I seem to find myself using the device more and more, not to mention The ability to utilize PIM, and also being able to download Google Local for finding directions to visit New clients.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
atldawg

Model: 7520

I am a home builder and use a nextel blackberry. Its great as a PIM, and good for email as well. The Google Local is a killer app that I use daily. All of my proposals and correspondence are electronic, so it is a must.

Not many of my subs use the blackberries, some of the biz owners do, but the field guys dont.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:

All I know is that most likely not many trades people are aware of the benefits they could reap by deploying a BB. I have a door and millwork shop and everyday I seem to find myself using the device more and more, not to mention The ability to utilize PIM, and also being able to download Google Local for finding directions to visit New clients.

Funny, I sell to door and millwork shops in the Mid-Atlantic states. We sell to prehangers and to co-ops/distributors. Small world.

As a rep I sell a few products, the one I sell to your industry does not get me involved with the trades. I sell into commercial and residential construction and see alot there.

Going to Vegas in 2 weeks for IDA show- not exactly your industry but close.

John
Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldawg
I am a home builder and use a nextel blackberry. Its great as a PIM, and good for email as well. The Google Local is a killer app that I use daily. All of my proposals and correspondence are electronic, so it is a must.

Not many of my subs use the blackberries, some of the biz owners do, but the field guys dont.
Yeah, my proposals are about 90% electronic also, not to mention that most of my shop supplies and hardware are ordered electronically.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Funny, I sell to door and millwork shops in the Mid-Atlantic states. We sell to prehangers and to co-ops/distributors. Small world.

As a rep I sell a few products, the one I sell to your industry does not get me involved with the trades. I sell into commercial and residential construction and see alot there.

Going to Vegas in 2 weeks for IDA show- not exactly your industry but close.

John
Pretty much all of my door work is custom. I also get into making plantation shutters and custom cabinetry, but it's the door building I like the most. If you have a chance, visit me at www.viewwoodworks.com. I often can show clients my site right off of my BB.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Koperry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I am self employed as an electrical contractor and have been using a blackberry for a couple of years now.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

We have a construction department with a mixed force of office and field. More and more of our field force are using BB and for someone who works with them, its great. I have the PTT option, but sometimes email is just better.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
fmaglin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koperry
I am self employed as an electrical contractor and have been using a blackberry for a couple of years now.
Do you find it to be indispencable in regards to saving time for your business?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
Koperry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I could probably make do with out it, but it sure makes life easier with it. I keep all appts., all contact info etc.
Closed Thread