Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Replacement Device Activation Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Have been experiencing issues with some users when trying to activate replacement devices. These users had a BB, and either got a newer model or a warranty replacement. The devices will activate but something is still not right. For example, just today I had a device that would not show or sync over the user created folders. Mail and calendar was synching fine. Had the account deleted from BES and recreated. Reactivated the device and this time everything worked 100%.

Are there certain steps that should/need to be taken when a user gets a replacement device to make sure that the BB activates 100%? Is there anyway to know if the device is a replacement if the user doesn't say so?

BES 4.0
Lotus Domino 6.5 (I think)

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Gregory Ptrolati

Default similar problem in Exchange environment (w/ solution)

One thing I have noticed w/ some device upgrades is that the Address Book, Tasks, and Memo Pad have to be re-associated with their corresponding folders in the Outlook profile. Even though it probably looks like they are associated correctly already, something has gone screwy and they don't sync (the sync goes through w/ no errors, just doesn't 'sync' anything). Removing the association w/ the mailbox folder and then re-adding it, then re-synching, has taken care of this in every case for me so far.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Gregory Ptrolati

Default whoops

we are on BES 3.6 so this is completely irrelevant for you. sorry!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
kdgaughan

Model: 8700c

On replacement handhelds we find that it's necessary to clear the pending mail queue just before activation (e.g. before the new pin is detected by the server). I understand previously queued mail is using an encryption key from the old device and cannot be decrypted by the new device for successful delivery.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgaughan
On replacement handhelds we find that it's necessary to clear the pending mail queue just before activation (e.g. before the new pin is detected by the server). I understand previously queued mail is using an encryption key from the old device and cannot be decrypted by the new device for successful delivery.
I have seen this as well. While it is not always required to delete the pending messages, it does resolve a number of activation issues for me.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-26-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

The procedure I've adopted for any new devices or (second-hand device) being assigned as a replacement is to do a security wipe plus remove and re-add the user. Our users don't generally have high pending queues if any and we always ensure the pending queues are cleared before doing any user administration. Sometimes the user does the "switch" without our knowledge.
For Domino there are some other steps that I use - delete the state database and check the profiles database.
I've found it more common/annoying in Domino than Exchange - haven't polled anyone here to determine if that's case.
Closed Thread