Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK
Default mobile.blackberry.com on 8820

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8820 in the UK on Orange and noticed that in the browser the home page (http://mobile.blackberry.com) displays a page saying "The BlackBerry HELP! website is designed for use with the BlackBerry browser...." It looks the same on the BB as it does through IE, Safari, Thunderbird etc on a desktop.

On a Blackberry should the http://mobile.blackberry.com site look different than what is displayed on a desktop?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

I don't understand your issue.

Why would you visit http://mobile.blackberry.com on anything other than your BlackBerry?

Doesn't really make a difference what it looks like on IE, Safari, or any desktop browser. You can't really use the site on anything other than a BlackBerry device.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
dmacd

But there is nothing there! When I access the site from my 8820 it simply says that this site should be accessed from a Blackberry device and has a link to BlackBerry. Isn't there supposed to be links to stuff to view on your Blackberry? Thats my point- it doesn't seem to work on my 8820- it seems to think I am accessing the website from a desktop and telling me to use a Blackberry. Therefore I can't get to the site.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
When I access the site from my 8820 it simply says that this site should be accessed from a Blackberry device and has a link to BlackBerry.
Do you have your BlackBerry browser emulating a different user agent?

Browser > Options > Browser Configuration > Emulation Mode = ?

Sorry.. I've never seen this issue before.
Maybe the 8820 is too new for the user agent detector on the mobile.blackberry.com website to actually recognize that it is indeed a mobile device?

Stumped.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
dmacd

I have the option you specified as:

Browser > Options > Browser Configuration > Emulation Mode = Blackberry

I assume that is what it should be. Seems very strange but maybe you are right- the 8820 is quite new and maybe they haven't setup their website for it yet.

Anyone with an 8820 notice this problem? Could this be a UK problem?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
dmacd

This link shows someone having a similar problem last year on an 8700/f:

Can't Access BlackBerry Help or mobile site from 8700f/Orange - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

I have started looking through but I don't see an obvious solution.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
oconq

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Thumbs down

I've exactly the same problem on my BlackBerry with Orange FR;

The problem is: to access mobile.blackberry.com you MUST use BlackBerry Browser or Internet Browser (see. blackberry website for this).

But Orange install a specific browser on the phone (named "Browser" in France). So you can't access the site.

The ONLY solution is to update the services directory of Orange to have the blackberry browser on our devises...

On other words we can't do anything if Orange is not providing another brower...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconq View Post
I've exactly the same problem on my BlackBerry with Orange FR;

The problem is: to access mobile.blackberry.com you MUST use BlackBerry Browser or Internet Browser (see. blackberry website for this).

But Orange install a specific browser on the phone (named "Browser" in France). So you can't access the site.

The ONLY solution is to update the services directory of Orange to have the blackberry browser on our devises...

On other words we can't do anything if Orange is not providing another brower...
Thanks for the info. I seem to have go it to work (on Orange UK at least) by applying this fix (http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...ml#post706134).

It adds the 'Internet Browser' to the configuration in: Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration. Then when adding a bookmark for 'mobile.blackberry.com' I can assign the Browser as 'Internet Browser'.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
tobyw

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Yes, this issue is a pain, especially when the carrier's support don't know what you are on about. I had exactly this problem with T-Mo UK, and eventually got them to resolve it...
Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

mobile.blackberry.com can ONLY work with either "Internet Browser" or "BlackBerry Browser." Nothing else. Emulation mode is not a factor in determining this.

You can either change the default browser or the bookmark, or when entering the address hit the menu key and select "change browser."
Closed Thread