BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
TexasRebelAggie

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Desktop Manager: Restoring from Backup

Please Login to Remove!

Howdy y'all ... This is my first post, so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been searching and reading here and Google and have found nothing to help me, so I turn here.

Every few days, owing to the data clutter, I backup my BlackBerry and then clear my SMS, MMS, and E-Mail messages. Right now, I'm staring at 23 backup files on my computer which hold about 7,000 messages. Somewhere is a message I need, but I have no idea where it is. My first thought was to reload the files back on to my BlackBerry, do a search, find the message, and forward it like I need.

However ... I ran into a problem with the Desktop Manager: it seems to want to load the data on my 8700g in a subtractive, not additive, manner. I do not want to *replace* the messages on my BlackBerry, I just want to add the archived messages to the current ones.

Is there a way to load data from a backup file WITHOUT replacing what data is on the handheld itself? Or is there an application out there that can merge multiple backup files into one?

Thank you very kindly,

Seth
Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Unfortunatly, when using the Backup/Restore feature you are dealing with whole databases. There is no way to restore a single message. You can only restore the entire message database.

Your best work around will be to backup your BlackBerry as it sits. Then restore the backup file that has your old message. Forward it to where ever. Finally restore your backup you created a few minutes before.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
TexasRebelAggie

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Smile RE: Desktop Manager: Restoring from Backup

I was somehow afraid of that. Thank you very much for the help! I appreciate it.
Closed Thread