BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Feedback: How Many Of You Have Replaced Your Trackballs?

Please Login to Remove!

I've very tempted to order the yellow or blue trackball found at the cnn.cn site. I was curious how many of you have replaced your trackballs and how difficult you found it was to complete?

For the record I'm not the type of person who ever disassembles electronics so I'm a bit hesistant to try... I would also be interested in replacing the silver/chrome bezel with an all black one....

Please post your feedback if you've done either of the above... Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8800)

Haven't messed with an 8900 (I own 88xx series only), but the cnn.cn site videos made disassembly and reassembly a snap for my devices.

Trackballs were no sweat, and I custom painted my own replacement case for my 8800 (then removed it and put it on a new 8820 I bought after).
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
lovescakemix

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

i actually took apart my 8900 today to see how hard it would be before i order stuff. the track ball is pretty easy to change
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu-wei View Post
Wirelessly posted (8800)

Haven't messed with an 8900 (I own 88xx series only), but the cnn.cn site videos made disassembly and reassembly a snap for my devices.

Trackballs were no sweat, and I custom painted my own replacement case for my 8800 (then removed it and put it on a new 8820 I bought after).
Do you need those unique tools that they are using in the cnn.cn videos or just the mini-screwdriver? How does the track ball actually fit into place, does it snap in? The video was pretty short...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
cartiel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Sprint

^^^^I would also like to hear that reply ^^^^
I'm actually in need of a new trackball as we speak; I wish I would have known that you could get a replacement when I re-ordered my last 8830 because of a faulty trackball. I'm on the curve now and I've cleaned this one so many times I think the threads are worn thin -or the ball itself- that's why I'm searching the forums. Does anyone know if your service provider can order these parts for you -I haven't asked yet??
Old 05-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
wu-wei

PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8800)

I bought a full case replacement, so cnn.cn included the plastic tool shown in the 8800 video for separating the sides - I think it's very helpful and probably necessary. The sides feel like they might snap the first time you remove them, but they don't. It's a pretty easy process once you've done it a few times.

The trackball on my 88xx devices is under a ring, which pops out easily if you lift gently under the bottom edge with something small enough to fit under there (I've used a bent paper clip). The entire trackball unit lifts right out, the new one drops right in. It's actually very easy to do, just don't yank on anything.

I believe the 8900 trackball is under the front bezel, so removal and replacement will likely be more involved and may require full disassembly.

Hope that helps...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
cartiel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Sprint

I'm going to have to check out this CNN.cN thing going on...I've got to see these tools.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
lovescakemix

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

you will need a t6 screwdriver
and the track ball on this phone just comes out and you just place the new one in, there is no secret clip or anything hard, just remove the the screws to open the case and easily replace the trackball. you cant put it in a wrong way
Old 05-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovescakemix View Post
you will need a t6 screwdriver
and the track ball on this phone just comes out and you just place the new one in, there is no secret clip or anything hard, just remove the the screws to open the case and easily replace the trackball. you cant put it in a wrong way
After you remove the screws I have one questions:

Also, I can't see those clips that they reference in the video. How easily do the clips get undone and refastened? Can you do that with the screw driver that they sell?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Found this video on YouTube and it's much more helpful than the cnn.cn one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwvqFm8HbQ

Last edited by wolfgaze; 05-18-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just ordered the yellow trackball & screw driver.... Got intimidated by the bezel replacement because you have to transfer some stuff from the old bezel to the new one according to the video and cnn's site....

Unfortunately the black battery cover (which they charge an arm and a leg for) is out of stock.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
GLOCKshooter

I just got a black battery cover off ebay for cheap with free shipping. No rattle like my original grey (titanium?) one.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
BCollins521
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: Ask...

I replaced the black bezel on my 8900...so much nicer and taking apart the 8900 is cake compared to the 83xx phones. I only transferred the buttons when I switched bezel's and I don't have any feedback or anything without the mesh or foam

Get My Themes Here! | [email address] | Twitter
Old 05-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
2Curious
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMo USA

Wirelessly posted

The trackballs are all faulty? Or do they just need cleaned? Overtime they will get oil and dirt stuck in them just like the old-school trackball mouses we'd have to open and clean the rollers. The same thing will happen to your BB trackball eventually. You can replace the whole assembly, or just clean the rollers and ball.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #14
jaehodge

PIN: N/A

I bought the G1 trackball from the CNN site. It looks sweet with the black bezel.

I placed the track ball the wrong way the first time, no sweat, i just disassembled and rotated it correctly.

the bezel was easier than i thought. there is a bit of manual work to be done, nothing too demanding other than slowly taking off three parts and sticking it on to the new bezel.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Default *hand goes up*

I've done it.

You can do it with a ballpoint pen. At the time that's all I had
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
endure161
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I bought a Rogers 8900 on eBay. Trackball was not functioning. Cleaning did not fix it so I bought a new all-black one. Works great and was not much trouble to replace. It did take a little longer than replacing a trackball on an 83xx or 88xx device - but not much.
Closed Thread