BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone know if there is a prepaid sim in the US that includes data?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #22
SeikS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100R
Carrier: Fido/T-Mobile

Has anyone heard new info on this topic?

I have an unlocked AT&T 7290 and a fido sim with GPRS data pack.
I have tried many APN settings and have had no luck to get my fido account to connect with my BES provider.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:34 AM   #23
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Unfortunately, this has not worked (Fido needs to put "blackberry.net" APN on your account, but they won't add it), so you will need to get a BlackBerry plan.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-28-2005, 02:51 AM   #24
SeikS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100R
Carrier: Fido/T-Mobile

Ok, makes sense.
I'll have to try to convince fido to do that or wait till Fido and Rogers are fully merged and then get a blackberry plan as Fido is not offering blackberrys yet.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:09 AM   #25
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
As a result, it seems like one would now be trespassing a carrier-side Blackberry gateway when one attempted BYOA (Bring Your Own Access). It also indicates Blackberry functionality is likely not possible on networks that don't have a Blackberry-specific gateway, although technically RIM could make Blackberry work (albiet less reliably) over non-Blackberry gateways due to problems with varying IP addresses and the connectionless protocol that Blackberry uses for push email.)
If I'm reading your concern here right, I'm not sure how they would consider it trespassing as the company you are getting your BES/MDS access through has paid for a CAL license. Apologies if I read this incorrectly.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #26
jagmeet

Model: 8100

I have an unlocked Blackberry 8100 pearl, I can use my fido sim card in it for voice calls. I cant access any data with my phone. Does anyone know how i can configure my phone to access the internet, not for blackberry services but just to access the internet? Fido gave me various configurations including apn settings and dns numbers, I dont know how i can manually configure these settings on my blackberry. Can anyone help?

The firm I work at has its own BES. If I can get my phone to access data, then maybe it will work with the BES? Anyways the first step is to access data.

Last edited by jagmeet; 11-10-2006 at 10:57 PM..
Old 11-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #27
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryapps
As one post stated... this will probably only work with Fido as they are the test network for all the RIM employees. This is probably one of the only carriers that has a connection to the RIM NOC and doesn't offer blackberry service to it's customers. I think i'll try this shortly to see if it works.

Cheers,
Andrew

Actually that was a long time ago as Fido was originally Canada's first GSM provider and RIM used Fido's network to test GSM BlackBerries. Any GSM BlackBerry testing RIM would do has been done on the Rogers Wireless network for many years now. (Info I received from both of my corportate Rogers Reps when I inquired about this)

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 11-11-2006 at 07:04 AM..
Old 11-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikS
Ok, makes sense.
I'll have to try to convince fido to do that or wait till Fido and Rogers are fully merged and then get a blackberry plan as Fido is not offering blackberrys yet.

From what I hear they won't be offering them either. There was some talk in the beginning of the year of Fido to carry BlackBerries mid to late 2006 but that was scrapped. (Info I received from both of my corportate Rogers Reps when I inquired about this)
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #29
adidascanada

Model: 9000
Carrier: Microcell
Default Blackberry 8100 pearl on Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmeet
I have an unlocked Blackberry 8100 pearl, I can use my fido sim card in it for voice calls. I cant access any data with my phone. Does anyone know how i can configure my phone to access the internet, not for blackberry services but just to access the internet? Fido gave me various configurations including apn settings and dns numbers, I dont know how i can manually configure these settings on my blackberry. Can anyone help?

The firm I work at has its own BES. If I can get my phone to access data, then maybe it will work with the BES? Anyways the first step is to access data.

Hello, I am in a similar dilemma, has anyone gotten this to work?
It's either that or migrate to Rogers,
I know fido is offering Blackberry email service for a Nokia E62 but the online registration doesn't seem to be working. Is this something I could take advantage of? Thanks!!!
Closed Thread