BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default OS 4.5 & GPS puck...consistent problem - anyone else?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on an 8130 on Verizon, using 4.5.0.66 and a Freedom Keychain GPS puck...worked fine with OS 4.3...occasionally Windows Live Search or Google Maps would have trouble "seeing" the puck but stopping/restarting one or the other cleared it up.

Under OS 4.5 I can't get any consistent results...if I launch WLS (Windows Live Search) it finds the puck the first time and works fine...if I close and relaunch it can't find the puck.

Google Maps 2.3.1 can't find it period...says "waiting for GPS" when I try to go to my location, and never finds it.

Verizon Nav worked fine the first time I ran it w/the puck a couple nights ago when I loaded it, but now it can't find the puck either.

I've removed and re-paired the puck, it is turning on fine, connecting fine, settings of permissions are all at allow, puck is set as the GPS source in GPS settings on the BB, and location is turned on, etc., WLS is set to use the GPS, etc., all the same settings as when the puck worked fine on OS 4.3.

Anyone else having issues like this w/4.5 and the freedom or other GPS pucks?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Redflea

Just me?!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Lightbulb

Try changing GPS Services from 911 Only to Location On (if you haven't done this already) within Options, Advanced Options, GPS. This was not necessary for me with OS v4.2.2.196 on my 8830, but it appears to be a requirement for 4.5.0.77.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Redflea

Yup - it's been set to "Location On" from the get-go, but thanks for suggesting something.

I just tried the same on my wife's BB Pearl w/OS 4.3...

Google Maps - didn't work.

Mapquest Navigator - looked at the GPS status screen, and it also was never able to get a fix...just kept saying "Acquiring satellites."

So - no an OS issue, my Freedom 2000 Puck is dying? The lights come on normally (the yellow satellite one, and the blue BT one) but do these things just stop working? Figured it is solid state and would be pretty much trouble-free for much longer, it's only about a year old. <sigh>

I'm charging it now in case it's a low-battery situation, but I fear the worst.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

You might be able to test it using a computer and the comport - I think I have read that can be done - I'm not sure how to assign/reassign a comport to a computer's usb port. You would see the standard gps coded data sentences.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Redflea

Default Google Maps 2.3.1 won't access BT puck on Pearl, OS 4.5

Let the weirdness continue...

This morning I tried things again, now the Freedom puck is doing fine....grrrr, I hate inconsistent results!

What happened:

1. Google Maps 2.3.1 will not use the puck for location unless another GPS app is open and has already gotten a fix. E.g., I have to open WLS and let it access the puck and get a location fix, send WLS to the background and then open Google Maps, which immediately gets the location. If I open Google Maps by itself it never even accesses the puck - blue BT light on BB doesn't light up, puck is inactive, etc. So there is definitely something wrong w/BT puck access from Google Maps 2.3.1 on OS 4.5, at least on my Pearl. I reset Google Maps (using the Reset option in Google Maps Help) but that didn't affect this at all.

2. WLS gets the location very quickly, and today will do it repeatedly, not just the first time I try.

3. Verizon Navigator (4.10 - most recent) will also get a position quickly, and I can exit and restart it and get the position again.

No changes in any settings or hardware since last night, haven't restarted my bb or done a battery pull, but different (better) results than last night...

Last edited by Redflea; 09-25-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

my freedom mini used to do that constantly, now my G-Sat bt359 is pretty good. especially with the newest OS. I used to go to options>advanced>GPS and refresh gps, or turn off all connections then reconnect, or turn the puck off then and back on. but it would seriously happen like %80 of the time.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Redflea

I'm on 4.5.0.77 now, and haven't had a single problem w/my Freedom GPS puck since back around the time of my original post in this thread...

So very happy now.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Just me?!
No, your not alone. I am having an odd problem with my Freedom now.
I'm pretty sure it worked well when I first got it about 4 months ago, however I cant remember when the problems started and if it was related to 4.5.
I'm running 4.5.0.42. I was considering upgrading as I think there is a newer release for the 8320 now.

I see the problems when I go in to the GPS options of the bb and it says "GPS Location Update Failed" when I force a GPS refresh.

odd
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Redflea

I'm not sure what caused my short-term issues...I was having troubles on both mine and my wife's BB, so I though it was a HW issue, but things are fine again. Weird.

If you have another BB that you can try it with that might help narrow things down.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
kowen14

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon

mine does the same exact thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Let the weirdness continue...

This morning I tried things again, now the Freedom puck is doing fine....grrrr, I hate inconsistent results!

What happened:

1. Google Maps 2.3.1 will not use the puck for location unless another GPS app is open and has already gotten a fix. E.g., I have to open WLS and let it access the puck and get a location fix, send WLS to the background and then open Google Maps, which immediately gets the location. If I open Google Maps by itself it never even accesses the puck - blue BT light on BB doesn't light up, puck is inactive, etc. So there is definitely something wrong w/BT puck access from Google Maps 2.3.1 on OS 4.5, at least on my Pearl. I reset Google Maps (using the Reset option in Google Maps Help) but that didn't affect this at all.

2. WLS gets the location very quickly, and today will do it repeatedly, not just the first time I try.

3. Verizon Navigator (4.10 - most recent) will also get a position quickly, and I can exit and restart it and get the position again.

No changes in any settings or hardware since last night, haven't restarted my bb or done a battery pull, but different (better) results than last night...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Redflea

The Google Maps issue is evidently a known problem, so not a Freedom Puck issue.
Closed Thread