Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!
Default Noob Guide: How To Get Back Ringtones

Please Login to Remove!

I was frustrated that I couldn't find sufficient information or methods on how to get the ringtones back. I don't know much about computers so other's methods were very confusing. Here is a noob guide!

There are two methods. Depends on what your old OS with the ringtones was. If you had a 4.2 os installed before, use #1. If you had an older 4.5 os (e.g. 4.5.0.51) with ringtones, use #2, Simple?

Locate your 4.2 ringtone file that should be called net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_qualcomm.cod, which you should have in your
C > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader Files > (your old 4.2 os) > Java, move it to the 4.5 OS located in C > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader Files > (your new 4.5 os) > Java. DO NOT RENAME THE FILE. Now go back to your old os's (4.2) folder and open blackberry.alx file with notepad. Go into the section where it references the sounds (net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_qualcomm.cod). Reading

<fileset Sound="Tunes7130c" Java="1.0">
<files>
net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_qualcomm.cod
</files>
</fileset>

Now using this information from the 4.2 blackberry.alx, change the 4.5 blackberry.alx to the same as the 4.2, only in the sounds section, listed above. You are basically just commanding your 4.5 to find the ringtone file from the java folder. Now save the file. There may be difficulties in saving it so save your edited 4.5 first in another location as an alx or all files, not a .txt. Than delete the original 4.5 blackberry.alx and move your edited one here (this saving guide is for real noobs). Make sure you have the vendor.xml file deleted from C > program files > common files > Research In Motion > AppLoader. After all that is done, turn on Blackberry Desktop Manager, a update should pop up. Backup and update. After the update, a battery-pull may be required on your handheld if the ringtones are still not there. You should have it after that.

Locate net_rim_bb_medialoader_qualcomm.cod (ringtone file) located at C > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader Files > (your old 4.5 os) > Java. Copy it to C > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader Files > (your new 4.5 os) > Java. Rename the file to net_rim_bb_medialoader_8830.cod. Make sure your vendor.xml file is deleted from your C > program files > common files > Research In Motion > AppLoader. Run Blackberry Desktop Manager and an update should pop up. Backup and update. If the ringtones do not show up, pull your battery and reset your device. You should have the ringtones.

I don't know if it could get any simpler than this. I did method #1, as I only possessed 4.5.0.77 and no other 4.5 os.

Edit: If by any chance you guys also want your wallpapers back, pay a small visit to John Clark over here, http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...them-here.html

Last edited by HungrySage; 10-25-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Closed Thread