BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Cool ALERT -- RIM's Poor Treatment of BlackBerryForums Moderators/Operators!

Please Login to Remove!

Now RIM/Rogers is refusing to send me the launch 8700r - as I attended the Rogers launch party on behalf of BlackBerryForums. (Something to do with my employer being an ISV - But I paid to attend in my own capacity!). What gives...

I paid for the trip to Toronto, too. Trying to find answers about this one. There were no rules against this, and they specifically said that everyone attending would be getting one. Many of them know I am a moderator here (and the maintainer of the popular BerryFAQ here) and Tom came with me to the launch party.

There was no fine print in the invitation about who is specifically excluded, and I paid for my transportation to the launch conference.

I'm not happy. This is a fiasco.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-13-2005 at 12:06 PM..
Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Now RIM/Rogers is refusing to send me the launch 8700r - as I attended the Rogers launch party on behalf of BlackBerryForums. (Something to do with my employer being an ISV - But I paid to attend in my own capacity!). What gives...

I paid for the trip to Toronto, too. Trying to find answers about this one. There were no rules against this, and they specifically said that everyone attending would be getting one. Many of them know I am a moderator here (and the maintainer of the popular BerryFAQ here) and Tom came with me to the launch party.

There was no fine print in the invitation about who is specifically excluded, and I paid for my transportation to the launch conference.

This is a real shame. You are an important person and resource in the BB community. Anyone who has a line of communication open to RIM and or Rogers should pass this issue along. Mark should get their highest and most favored treatment.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Are you in Canada or the US

In the US I think your rights would be absolute. Don't know about Canada. I would use Barjohn to speak to RIM directly though as the best course of action.

Quote:

Old 12-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

Quote:

If I was you, I wouldn't even want it now. In my limited participation in this and other forums, you have been RIM's biggest supporter. I guess it's inevitable that a company gets big and forgets what got them there, but this issue is just silly.

Seriously, tell them you're not interested anymore, maybe show it in a signature or something and let them come crawling back to you.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed

Quote:

The exact same situation happened to me. They are refusing to send me one as well, I have spoken to several hands at RIM, and all were very negative. I do not understand why they have suddenly turned against blackberryforums, expecially since they were so happy and open at the event.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Sit down time I guess

I would find someone to go meet with face to face to sort this out. If they are mad at your users for complaining that shouldn't impact you or the great service you offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
The exact same situation happened to me. They are refusing to send me one as well, I have spoken to several hands at RIM, and all were very negative. I do not understand why they have suddenly turned against blackberryforums, expecially since they were so happy and open at the event.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

Wow eh... I hope it's not because I posted a picture of me with the 8700r before it was released... I know the RIM people are a very tight knit group, but you would think that they would care a little more for the people here who contribute and actually try to help build the community and support their products.

I know that without BBF, RIM would still do fine, but a lot of people who support and sell RIM products come here regularily. Crazy stuff.

Who knows...

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Wow eh... I hope it's not because I posted a picture of me with the 8700r before it was released...
I do not think it has anything to do with that. You are merely one of the hundreds of thousands of our guest users (with nearly 30,000 of them being registered members, you having been one of them), and you are merely a user on our forums and the picture did get removed upon RIM's request. I believe RIM is smart enough to know a forum is a diverse community.

All of us moderators are the operators behind this forum website, the Internet's most popular discussion forum. Many of the early moderators here (including myself) have done many thousands of hours on these forums over the last 1.5 years of the forum operation -- The Internet's Biggest BlackBerry Discussion Forum -- which has grown bigger than the BlackBerry sections of the RIMROAD.com and HowardForums.com websites.

Yes, there are a lot of new users and consumers -- but this site is also visited by many executives, members of the press, and people who have a say in thousands of BlackBerry units. It is a wide segment of the BlackBerry audience. All our website already gets mentioned in magazines such as PC Magazine and The Register, as well as in certain BlackBerry related books.

I am just very dissapointed at RIM/Rogers' poor treatment of BlackBerryForums moderators;
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Well at least you didn't get 'uninvited' from the event... :(

I say stick it to the man... you got a voucher right... I would ask them what the purpose of giving you a voucher entitling you to a device courtesy of RIM is if they are going to reneg on the promise.

I am gonna buy a PPC I think... at least Microsoft sends me free goodies as appreciation for the number of clients I recommend their products to. I know everyone loves to hate Microsoft, but when you implement a solution with their products, it works pretty well... I have a complete MS shop here and I very rarely have problems other then business decisions and hardware issues... my systems are all rock solid and fast...

Microsoft takes care of the people who recommend and drive their product sales... why doesn't RIM?

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Hi,

We have received several PM's of support already. We have noticed that understandably, some representatives/executives/employees do not want to post in this thread because they do not want to affect their relationships, and avoid commenting publicly on this matter, but are also dissapointed to see that BlackBerryForums is not properly represented by RIM.

If any of you representatives, executives, administrators, employees, etc. are reading this, you are very welcome to send a PM to me (Mark Rejhon) and PM to Guess (Tom G.) about anything regarding this matter. Your privacy will be preserved.

Also, next time you have any contact with people at RIM, politely mention to them that you are a visitor of BlackBerryForums.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I'm not familiar with exactly how launches work, but have they given you guy's free devices in the past?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

All launches can be different, but in this case everyone that attended either of the lauches was promised an 8700.

I would think the only people who wouldn't get one "might" be employees of RIM or Rogers/Cingular and even then, why not, they need toys too ;)
Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Tom (Guess) has reported to me that there is a possible resolution to this issue. It may turn out to be nothing -- this thread will remain until then -- but I will close and retire this thread if this is resolved.

Best case, it was a simple case of misunderstanding: One hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

Worst case, BlackBerryForums will go full public (news media) with this issue.

Keep tuned.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-13-2005 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed

I have been assured this is a simple misunderstanding and that everything has been taken care of. Mark and I will be receiving the devices shortly. I have spoken to RIM representatives both via email and phone.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
BBUser7100t
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
I have been assured this is a simple misunderstanding and that everything has been taken care of. Mark and I will be receiving the devices shortly. I have spoken to RIM representatives both via email and phone.

I will keep you guys updated.

That is great news and I hope its true! This forum is a phenomenal resource to blackberry users and anyone who has spent any time on the forum knows that its devotees are mostly blackberry fanatics. We may complain and make constructive criticisms, but at the end of the day we love our blackberries. There's no reason that the founders or moderators of this list should be blacklisted.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #16
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Good luck guys! And keep up the good work!

Oh yea, Mark, like another member said in another thread regarding 'Blackberry Hacks' it was great to see a familiar name! I picked it up and didn't stop until it was done.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #17
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

Is it me or is RIM having a bad year?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorganPhoto
Oh yea, Mark, like another member said in another thread regarding 'Blackberry Hacks' it was great to see a familiar name! I picked it up and didn't stop until it was done.
I would have to add that I give credit to the several forums member that also contributed work to this book than I did -- And, yes, I did contribute to this O'Reilly book. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
SMorganPhoto

PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I would have to add that I give credit to the several forums member that also contributed work to this book than I did -- And, yes, I did contribute to this O'Reilly book. Thanks!
My hat is off to all of you. For such a newb, it was easy to understand and fun to read.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #20
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Usually the way I resolve these things is to keep asking to speak to whomever I am talking to supervisor. It usually works, but it does look like Mark and Tom have it solved...

As to someone else's question - different launches are different. There are morning launches in Dallas and Austin this week in which you get a chance to win an 8700C, it is not automatic.