BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
tical
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
Carrier: cingular
Default Resetting the IT policy not seeming to work on the 8100 ?

Please Login to Remove!

Any Ideas why. I have read the IT policy removal manual , followed all the steps, but it just does not seem to work on my 8100. I used the same steps and got it to work on a 8700 before. Does policy.bin work on the 8100 ?

steps that I am using

------------------------------------

Unlocking the Blackberry.
First of all, this is not a guide on how to remove carrier information from a Blackberry. If you're unable to use a different SIM card than the one that was originally supplied with your device, look elsewhere. However if, like many others you have a Blackberry that is locked by a BES, meaning you're unable to change certain settings, or install Third Party Applications then read on. Essentially, the problem is that your Blackberry has at some point been connected to a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server), and this BES has placed a restrictive Security Policy (or IT Policy) on your device. A quick check to see if this is the case can be done by going to Options/Security on your Device. If you see any references to IT Policy whatsoever, then you have a potentially restrictive IT Policy that can be removed.

The Disclaimer/Intended Use.
This guide is intended for use by people that own their own Blackberry, and for whatever reason, have inherited a company's IT Policy on their Device. Really, there are two scenarios where this guide is useful.
You, like me, bought a Blackberry on EBay and are unable to make changes to the settings or install Third Party Applications. You have a Blackberry that was previously connected to a company's BES and, for whatever reason; you no longer intend to make connections to that BES. If you're still connected to a Company BES, and simply want to install the latest and greatest Third Party Application I wouldn't recommend this approach. Go talk to your administrators and ask them to grant you the appropriate rights. There are two problems in using this guide to bypass your Company's Security Policy. Firstly, whenever you reconnect to the Company Server, your security settings will revert back to how they were. Secondly, and (perhaps) more importantly, you run the risk of getting fired.

[edit]Procedure
[edit]Step 1
Ensure the Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed using Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you are unsure, it would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Desktop Manager and start again.

If you don't have the CD that came with your Blackberry, the Software can be downloaded here. BlackBerry Software Site

[edit]Step 2
Download the file policy.bin Download Here. and save it in your Blackberry installation directory (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry).

[edit]Step 3
Wipe your Blackberry, creating a backup if necessary. Select Options/Security/Wipe on the Device.

If this option is unavailable, you may have to install the latest software on your Blackberry. You need to Download and install the latest Desktop Manger Software, then the latest Handheld Software. Connect your device, open the Desktop Manager, select Application Loader, and follow the prompts.

[edit]Step 4
Close the Desktop Manager if it is open.

[edit]Step 5
From the Windows Start Menu select Run..., and at the prompt type regedit. In the tree on the left hand side, navigate to:

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

[edit]Step 6
Open the Desktop Manager.

[edit]Step 7
Connect the Device.

[edit]Verification
Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy, you should now be able to change all settings (including password prompts), and install Third Party Applications.

[edit]About this Guide.
This guide was born from an amazing amount of frustration shortly after buying a Blackberry 7230 on EBay to test an Application I was working on. It addresses what I consider either a bug or an extremely poorly implemented feature of the Blackberry device, and a problem I'm sure 80 percent of people who buy a Blackberry on EBay face.

Kudos and thanks in particular to 7100simpleisbetter and barjohn of www.blackberryforums.com.

---------------------------------------------

anyone know if I am using the wrong policy file or what could be wrong ?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I am *guessing* that the 8100 requires a different Policy.Bin file (or format) and that no one has posted a blank one yet.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
tical

hoping that someone will post a blank IT policy got the 8100.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

That policy works on the 8100, I have used it before.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
That policy works on the 8100, I have used it before.

^ +1
Old 02-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
tical

always getting called failed. there is signal with GSM (uppercase) but always call failed when dialling out. I had this problem with an 8700, but when I did the policy erase, it worked fine.

anyway, I got these screenshots when uploading policy.bin

please advise if this is the correct screenshot after policy.bin has been applied.

Also, anyone know why I am getting called failed. It is the T-Mobile white pearl and I got the unlock code from gsmphonesource. the phone is unlocked, but just will not make any calls on the 900 Mhz band
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Tical,

there are couple of things you have to keep in mind.

1. Your DM shoudl be configured to use Blackberry Internet Services and not BES.
2. When you copy Policy.bin file into the directory, you shouldnt have to run the app loader in order for your BB to receive that particular update. At least I didnt have to. The DM should detect your device and try to sync up.
3. Make sure your registry setting is set: HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Other than that, you should be good to go. Its more than likely your DM is set to use BES and not BIS.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
tical

this is really frustrating.

See my setting here ( my OS is on the D drive )

I have reloaded the Desktop Manager and selected BIS ( about three times now)

Not sure what to see.

Anyway in the security option I have

password Disabled
number of password attempts 10
Security Timeout 1 hour
--------------------------------------------------
Lock hanheld upon holstering, no
allow outgoing calls while locked no

--------------------------------------------------
Content Compression enabled
Content protection disabled
Strenght strong
Include Address Book yes
---------------------------------------------------
message background colour
enterprise message none
other message none

Still getting call failed. does the menu above indicate IT Policy enabled ?

I can see signal , with the words GSM (uppercase). Is there some other setting that i can check. In network it finds the network with a capital H by it.

is there some way to 'kill' the device and reload everything. i am getting desparate
Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Yellowfin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
PIN: 30105C09
Carrier: Verizon

Aha, found the policy file...but am using a school comp with no command prompt! Gah, one IT policy after another!!! Damn these people!

Last edited by Yellowfin; 02-03-2007 at 05:17 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tical
Still getting call failed. does the menu above indicate IT Policy enabled ?

I can see signal , with the words GSM (uppercase). Is there some other setting that i can check. In network it finds the network with a capital H by it.
Call failed does not have anything to do with the IT Policy. Neither do any of the screen shots you posted. On your BlackBerry go to Options > Security Options > General Settings. Do you see anything on that screen that says IT Policy? It not, you do not have an IT Policy applied. I think your confused as to what the IT Policy is supposed to do. What are you wanting to accomplish?

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
tical

Default I just want the phone to make calls on the 900 Mhz band

I have two different carriers, one on 1900Mhz and one on 900 mhz. If I put in the sim from the 1900 mhz carrier (prepaid sim), I get data connection refused with gprs in lowercase, but I can still make calls.

If I put in the Sim of the 900 Mhz carrier, I get GSM (uppercase), but always calls failed (if i use my 900 mhz sim which has data provisioned I get gprs (lowercase) but still call failed).

I had simarly problems before with a cingular 8700 c but I removed the IT policy and it worked fine. thus I assumed that was the problem.

I now note that the Cingular .67 8100 works fine in my country on both networks, so now my new task it to upgrade to the Cingular 8100. I am currently at Tmobile .64.

Steps needed to do this would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 AM   #12
jeff1971

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

It worked on my 8100
Closed Thread