alb123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
is there any other reason for this upgrades existence? i'm all for updating my OS, however if it still doesn't solidly solve the speakerphone problem that some are saying still occurs and just MMS being available now which some have been anxiously waiting for, just wanted to know if there was anything else that this upgrade adds/fixes. Inquiring minds wanna know
I'm with you on this Fizz. Ive been asking for quite a while now, why do these "upgrades" NOT come with a txt file explaining the changes/fixes in the new OS release. One would think that there MUST be some significant improvements/bug fixes in each OS upgrade, but I am not certain there are considering the "speakerphone" bug that has plagued us for many OS upgrades now. I am all for upgrading to the latest release, but I also like to know why I am upgrading.

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb123 View Post
One would think that there MUST be some significant improvements/bug fixes in each OS upgrade...
Well, I finished my upgrade about 20 minutes ago, so far the improvements and bug fixes noticed:

- the scratches all disappeared from my faceplate, it looks brand new!

- my carpal tunnel syndrome has subsided down to near-nothing, could be from the Tylenol, we'll see.

- my 1990 Hyundai stopped leaking oil.. still burns it and smokes like crazy, but hey, it's 18 now.

- my wife is in a good mood for the first time in several weeks.

Always upgrade.

LOL, etc..
Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
turn_key

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Well, I finished my upgrade about 20 minutes ago, so far the improvements and bug fixes noticed:

- the scratches all disappeared from my faceplate, it looks brand new!

- my carpal tunnel syndrome has subsided down to near-nothing, could be from the Tylenol, we'll see.

- my 1990 Hyundai stopped leaking oil.. still burns it and smokes like crazy, but hey, it's 18 now.

- my wife is in a good mood for the first time in several weeks.

Always upgrade.

LOL, etc..
I needed that... thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
canalwater05
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

about the force roam option being gone or not.....after i upgraded to the beta the day before the official release, it is no longer there it just shows automatic and home only. and mms just showed up today after i resent my service books.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ney for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaxvi View Post
MMS is showing up but I cannot get it to send, I resent service books and trying again.

Sent service books and tried again, not working for me, I just get a red X and it won't send.
I've tested it on my 8330 and it does in fact work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
is there any other reason for this upgrades existence? i'm all for updating my OS, however if it still doesn't solidly solve the speakerphone problem that some are saying still occurs and just MMS being available now which some have been anxiously waiting for, just wanted to know if there was anything else that this upgrade adds/fixes. Inquiring minds wanna know
I've been running this version for a few days now, and no speakerphone blast yet. I likely would have heard it by now I think. I've only seen a couple of people say they still get it. I went the route of wiping my device with JL cmdr before the install, as many of the old pros on these boards recommend.

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO KNOW WHAT THIS RELEASE OFFERS:

Sprint Software Downloads - PDAs and Smartphones - BlackBerry® Curvexxx8482; 8330

Click on "More Details" and then scroll down the page and it will show you MMS, HTML email, etc. as added features.

Last edited by JackG058; 02-05-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
montanaxvi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
I've tested it on my 8330 and it does in fact work.
Seems that way for a number of people, myself though along with others still cannot send an MMS after many attempts.

I have done everything short of wiping the phone and putting a clean 4.5 on.

I tried to make a troubleshooting thread on the BAW forums, but of course everyone just piles into the other threads and no one takes the time to actually figure out what the problem is.

Also still waiting word from someone at Sprint on how the MMS works, we were told by one of the admin over there that we would get an MMS that would have a thumbnail to the image we were sent, as well as a link to the Picture Mail website to view the full image. This is NOT how it is working for the majority of users, we are still getting the standard SMS with a link to Picture Mail in it with no thumbnail image. One user stated they were getting full MMS service with no handshaking with the Picture Mail service, but of course they won't confirm or try to explain what is going on, so we assume them to be a troll looking for attention. Another user stated that are getting the MMS the way we were told it would be, a thumbnail image as well as a link but again, this is just one person.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaxvi View Post
Seems that way for a number of people, myself though along with others still cannot send an MMS after many attempts.
Yes, I've been reading all day on the new release that many aren't getting the service still. Some believe it is locale based, and some specifically thought the Midwest. However, I'm from the Kansas City area and it works for me. It seems to be one of those issues that is not consistent. Best wishes to you on getting it running though.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
montanaxvi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Yes, I've been reading all day on the new release that many aren't getting the service still. Some believe it is locale based, and some specifically thought the Midwest. However, I'm from the Kansas City area and it works for me. It seems to be one of those issues that is not consistent. Best wishes to you on getting it running though.

Look at my last post on the thread about MMS working on Sprint.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ng-8330-a.html

RIM put this out before Sprint had done final testing/tweak on the MMS and Picture Mail side of things so while this is a final version, Sprint hadn't planned on it being out just yet and RIM pushed it out.

So we have to wait until the Sprint engineers can work something out which could take a while I would imagine.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #29
turn_key

Quote:
I'm in Chicago and it doesn't work for me... possible that the books might differ by region because of the infrastructure/technology.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #30
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

I can confirm that the speakerphone blast technically still occurs. However, it is so quick that it's basically not noticeable. The only reason I noticed it is I called my cell phone, and on the initiating phone, held down a key tone. When I answered on the Blackberry, I could hear that key tone for about 1/4 of a second through the speakerphone before it went to the handset.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #31
alb123

I installed the new 4.5.0.131 official release on my VZW 8330 Curve and unfortunately, after 2 hours of "testing" the new OS and several reboots/battery pulls I could not rid the phone of painfully slow operation. I was very excited to see my Free Memory had increased by at least 5MB when the phone was rebooted (had 40MB Free for the first time in a LONG time). However, moving my pointer was ridiculously slow jumping from icon to icon. Opening a folder or going into OPTIONS (for example) was ridiculously slow. Just a severe lag in response from the trackball and/clicking a folder or app icon. Lastly, when testing the keyboard response time by sending email then sms then mms - I would be 3-4 words ahead of the screen response. I couldn't believe it. I had no choice but to remove 4.5.0.131 and go back to my previous version.

I hope no one else experiences these problems. But, if someone does and discovers a "fix" please let me know. Oh, btw...My install of 4.5.0.131 went flawlessly. No lockups or 5xx messages at all.

Chris

Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #32
obeythelaw

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
I installed the new 4.5.0.131 official release on my VZW 8330 Curve and unfortunately, after 2 hours of "testing" the new OS and several reboots/battery pulls I could not rid the phone of painfully slow operation. I was very excited to see my Free Memory had increased by at least 5MB when the phone was rebooted (had 40MB Free for the first time in a LONG time). However, moving my pointer was ridiculously slow jumping from icon to icon. Opening a folder or going into OPTIONS (for example) was ridiculously slow. Just a severe lag in response from the trackball and/clicking a folder or app icon. Lastly, when testing the keyboard response time by sending email then sms then mms - I would be 3-4 words ahead of the screen response. I couldn't believe it. I had no choice but to remove 4.5.0.131 and go back to my previous version.

I hope no one else experiences these problems. But, if someone does and discovers a "fix" please let me know. Oh, btw...My install of 4.5.0.131 went flawlessly. No lockups or 5xx messages at all.

Chris
i agree that i feel that this version makes things lag a little. the speakerphone blast is either not there or not noticeable for me so it may have fixed it. what's annoying is that when i lock my keypad and then hit the ignore key for example just to take a look at the screen, it takes like 5 seconds for the screen to come up. i'm not sure i can tolerate the sluggishness.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
i agree that i feel that this version makes things lag a little. the speakerphone blast is either not there or not noticeable for me so it may have fixed it. what's annoying is that when i lock my keypad and then hit the ignore key for example just to take a look at the screen, it takes like 5 seconds for the screen to come up. i'm not sure i can tolerate the sluggishness.
Odd, I'm not having any problems at all (beyond the millisecond speakerphone blast I mentioned above, which really isn't noticeable). At this point, I think I'm finally staying on this 4.5x version rather than rolling back to 4.3x.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #34
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Still working really well for me. I have discovered for sure that a premium theme I had purchased causes icons to disappear sometimes. I've gone back to the stock Sprint theme for now to see how things progress. Device definitely has a snappier feel with this version than the older 4.3.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #35
montanaxvi
Thumbs Must Hurt

I too have said before I think it feels snappier but some users are reporting lagging issues.

Also one problem/bug popping up is when you bring the phone back into an active state from standby mode there is a second or two delay.

Some people on crackberry are saying to hit the space bar or the back arrow next to the trackball instead of using the trackball to bring the device out of standby to eliminate this lag.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
turn_key

I'm noticing a little lag as well, but not enough to really bother me. My favorite apps are still working so I'm happy with that.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #37
esmeralda.hernandez

Carrier: sprint

I have 4.5 on my 8330. mms option is definitely coming up but when I go to try to send it it just won't. I have that red X. I did the service book thing and the Host registration, pulled battery out and NOTHING. Also thought that picture might be too big but still didn't work when i made size smaller... any ideas what else I need to do?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #38
alb123

Ive chatted on IRC with a few users who are on VZW and they've reported similar issues to what I experienced (although, I admit none mentioned the slow typing-to-screen response as bad as I did). I'm wondering if there is just an issue with this OS and VZW users for some reason? I know it says it works for ALL 8330, and it does operate, but when I went back to 4.5.0.89 my phone felt like lightning compared to 4.5.0.131.... Any other VZW subscribers install this OS? Comments?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #39
bullonwall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Ive chatted on IRC with a few users who are on VZW and they've reported similar issues to what I experienced (although, I admit none mentioned the slow typing-to-screen response as bad as I did). I'm wondering if there is just an issue with this OS and VZW users for some reason? I know it says it works for ALL 8330, and it does operate, but when I went back to 4.5.0.89 my phone felt like lightning compared to 4.5.0.131.... Any other VZW subscribers install this OS? Comments?
I am d/l this now and will install and report back. I am in NJ on VZW.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
kdallen

Model: 9530
Default Assistance needed

Hello. I'm trying to upgrade my wife's Sprint 8330. I've followed the directions 4 separate times over the last few hours, but can't seem to get the proper download to the PC. Although the Installation Wizard runs, I don't get anything downloaded to the existing RIM folder.

I upgraded mine to a slightly different version a couple weeks ago (can't recall where I found it) with no issues. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread