BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question re: outgoing calls when BB is security locked.

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, here's the deal ...

I have my BB Pearl (8100) security locked upon 5 minutes of inactivity, or when holstered. I really like the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if I lose by BB or if someone steals it, there is very little chance of them getting to my personal information stored on the phone.

However, here's the (relatively minor) problem. I routinely make calls using my BT headset. Since the BB is set to lock when holstered, I need to enable the feature that allows you to make outgoing calls when locked. So, although a potential thief does not have access to my complete address book or any other information stored on my BB, a thief does have access to my most recent calls via the call log. Depending on my recent calls, I may have some private information in my recent call log -- for example, the phone number and PIN for my international calling card. This could obviously give a potential thief the ability to rack up a lot of international calling fees that would be charged to me.

So, although this is a relatively minor problem, I'm wondering if there is a way to allow outgoing phone calls without revealing the recent call log.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Menu>Security>General Settings>All Outgoing Calls while Locked = YES

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Menu>Security>General Settings>All Outgoing Calls while Locked = YES

E-
Uh .... I appreciate your attempt to help, but I think you must have responded based solely on the title and without actually reading my post.

I know how to make outgoing calls while locked, and I've already enabled that setting.

What I want to know is whether you can enable outgoing calls while locked WITHOUT revealing the call log.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I wonder if you enable encryption (content protection) on your device if that will protect your call log from viewing? Phone Dialer screen > Options > General Settings > Content Protection = Enabled.

I don't know that will work, just a stab in the dark. Let us know?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
scott_perry

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint, Alltel

To add to JSanders, you will need to make sure that "Include Address book" under "Content Protection" is set to "Yes" or your address book will be searchable while the device is locked.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

Warning note: If you have enabled Content Protection and need to wipe the device, it'll take close to two hours for that to complete.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
scott_perry

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint, Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Warning note: If you have enabled Content Protection and need to wipe the device, it'll take close to two hours for that to complete.
This is not true. It depends on how much data you have on the device. I have content protection enabled on all of the devices that connect to our BES. I have never had a wipe take more than 40 minutes.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

We've had content protection enforced on 9000 devices for close to two years, I think I know what I'm talking about. I know it depends on the amount of data and 40 mins is about the minimum wipe time you'll see. My intent was to warn that it'll take considerably longer than the typical +/- 5 mins
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
GadgetGuru72

Thanks everybody. I think the solution referenced here is a bit overkill for a relatively minor problem. It's already enough of a pain to have to enter my password every time I want to check e-mail. To then have to wait a few additional seconds to check e-mail is more than a bit annoying. As it stands now, if my BB is lost or stolen the person would only have access to the telephone call log. So, if my BB is ever lost or stolen, I'll contact the vendor for my international calling card and cancel it, and change PIN numbers for any telephone PINs listed in my address book. I think that's probably a better approach.

Thanks for the help, though.
Closed Thread