BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: How upset with Rim are you?
Not mad at all - all is ok 74 41.57%
upset over lack of communication by Rim 74 41.57%
upset over failure and starting to think of alternative phones 8 4.49%
What Outage? 22 12.36%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #21
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

It is a bigger deal for some than others. I was in the middle of bringing our company email in in-house to an Exchange server yesterday, as well as setting up BES. One of my primary testing tools was to be my blackberry.net account. Wasted much time trying to figure out why emails were not getting out of the office before I thought to check here for system outages. Sure, you can say it was just bad luck on my part, but I'm sure there were many other people for whom email was CRITICAL yesterday.

but not critical enough that they use BES which wasnt affected.
Ahh, I see now: the outage was not important because it only affected the peon BIS users, not the corporate BES users.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I threw my 8800 in the toilet so I am using my 9300 now.

does it have the keg tap built in
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #24
MikeyLikesIt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: Nope
Carrier: Cingular (8700c?)

I am not going to beat them up too bad for two outages in a year, but then again, if this becomes a recurring event....... The reason we drive all Brand B automobiles in my family that I never thought I would ever own in my lifetime (I am sure my Dad rolled overe in his grave) is because a lifelong history of loyalty to Brand A was trashed by a recurring transmission and engine problem in a couple of models in a row.

One thing I do have to say is that I really appreciate this forum because there ended up being a place to go to to find out about all this. If RIM is going to make one improvement, they should have a notice board of some kind where we could go look. My Earthlink account has a place I can go check for system outages if I suspect that to be the problem. RIM should do something similar. That would have saved a lot of time and expense-our IT guy happened to be in the office and I wasted a lot of his time trying to figure out what the heck was going on before I realized that it was just a matter of waiting it out and hanging close to the PC version of e mail.

MikeyMike

PS: I owe the IT guy an apology because I was just sure that he had muckied up our e mail server. At $110.00/hr, I wasted several hundred dollars on this.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #25
BroadcastDoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post

Ahh, I see now: the outage was not important because it only affected the peon BIS users, not the corporate BES users.
Methinks you doth protest too much. What he means (I believe) is that if you're using a Blackberry for critical email, you'd use a BES. BIS is not a mission-critical-grade service. Yesterday was proof of that yet again.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcastDoc View Post
Methinks you doth protest too much. What he means (I believe) is that if you're using a Blackberry for critical email, you'd use a BES. BIS is not a mission-critical-grade service. Yesterday was proof of that yet again.
That is absurd.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
BroadcastDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
That is absurd.
How so? (Other than the "yet again" comment, which really wasn't a bash. Just that it occasionally happens)

Last edited by BroadcastDoc; 09-08-2007 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcastDoc View Post
if you're using a Blackberry for critical email, you'd use a BES.
It is aburd that you would think that. Of course it is only an opinion, no biggie.

Last edited by JSanders; 09-08-2007 at 03:17 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #29
BroadcastDoc

Quote:
It is aburd that you would think that. Of course it is only an opinion, biggie.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that the BES was considered the "weapons-grade" service, while BIS was more of a "best-effort" system.

With so many ISP's and so many configurations, BIS is by nature a very basic service. While it works great most of the time, I could see where problems could crop up.

But you're right. It's simply an opinion.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #30
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Well, im going to switch to something else (AT&T Tilt) when it comes out not just because of the outages, but because I do a lot of web surfing and the browser just plain sucks. Not only that, but it is extremely slow. I have friends that use other devices on EDGE, and I am jelous of the speed they get browsing pages. SURE I can make it just as fast by turning everything off, but they get the speed plus all of the features turned on.

Then don't get me started on the latency issues! Sometimes it takes a long time and several requests to start loading a page. And when a script has to be run? Forget it .... you have to wait a long time.

I totally love the push email though, and the way the OS works in general. But that doesn't help knowing my most used feature is also the weakest aspect of the BB and other platforms have caught up and surpassed it in web browsing. I just hope the BlackBerry Connect software on the new AT&T Tilt works pretty good for push email.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #31
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Well, im going to switch to something else (AT&T Tilt) when it comes out not just because of the outages, but because I do a lot of web surfing and the browser just plain sucks. Not only that, but it is extremely slow. I have friends that use other devices on EDGE, and I am jelous of the speed they get browsing pages. SURE I can make it just as fast by turning everything off, but they get the speed plus all of the features turned on.

Then don't get me started on the latency issues! Sometimes it takes a long time and several requests to start loading a page. And when a script has to be run? Forget it .... you have to wait a long time.

I totally love the push email though, and the way the OS works in general. But that doesn't help knowing my most used feature is also the weakest aspect of the BB and other platforms have caught up and surpassed it in web browsing. I just hope the BlackBerry Connect software on the new AT&T Tilt works pretty good for push email.
Have you tried Opera Mini? It's way better than a BB browser. I used to be a Windows Mobile user and I liked the browser the device itself was way to unstable, and memory management was a unpaid part-time job...lol. the Tilt is a good looking idea, but just like the other HTC sliders, how will that sliding perform once it loosens up?

I have a 8703e with verizon that hasn't seen a email since early last night and a 8100 with T-mobile that spewed about 10 emails this morning from last night. It doesn't bother me that this is RIM's 2nd outage this year simply because my Windows Mobile devices would randomly stop pushing emails without there being outages, it just didn't flat out work half the time.

Last edited by dwp1975; 09-08-2007 at 04:20 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #32
deznetwork

Model: 7800c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Talking Bad Timing

I’m not upset as my important emails are on a BES.

But I did choose the wrong day to finally set up a personal BIS account, It was hit and miss with my testing.

Overall, it would have been nice for AT&T to send a PIM or something just as a heads up, or even something when it was over to say it back to normal.

--
Long time lurker, First time poster....
Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #33
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

My local home ISP has had more outages than RIM, and my web hosting company has had more outages than my local ISP and RIM together.

Granted, outages are inconvenient and frustrating, but I don't see any point in getting bent out of shape about it. Stuff happens, such is life.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #34
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Greetings, deznetwork, and welcome to the forums.

You picked a bad day to set up a BIS account.

I picked a bad day to stop doing crack.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #35
BigPlaya

Model: 8830
Carrier: VeeZeeDubya

Quote:
I picked a bad day to stop doing crack.
Sniffing glue is much more economical.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #36
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlaya View Post
Sniffing glue is much more economical.
Ha! Cut costs so that you have more cash left over for your other addiction: buying the latest and greatest blackberry! lol
Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #37
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Maybe I am selfish, but I could care less if BIS email is down. I support 3000 BES users and we dont support their BIS setup.

My only concern is that a similiar problem happened not too long ago. RIM needs more redundency to ensure that complete outages like this dont happen anymore.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #38
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Someone did the math in another thread... they said RIM had been down for a total of 13 hours this year, divided into the total number of hours in a year... it ended up being 99.80% uptime.

I'd say we're doing pretty well here.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #39
Kazmi

I work for a small business and we cannot afford BES yet. My email is all on BIS and I run the Operations of a teleradiology company, so we are on call 24x7. Not having my email and no communication about the downtime left me in a lurch.

There ARE some people doing critical jobs who still use BIS for critical email. No where does it state that we as BIS users should expect a lesser service standard from RIM than BES users?

Also, I am on verizon and my wife on AT&T - both our services were down and while I got all my email this AM, my wife still hasn't.

I hope I don't have to reactivate my Treo.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #40
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
I work for a small business and we cannot afford BES yet. My email is all on BIS and I run the Operations of a teleradiology company, so we are on call 24x7. Not having my email and no communication about the downtime left me in a lurch.

There ARE some people doing critical jobs who still use BIS for critical email. No where does it state that we as BIS users should expect a lesser service standard from RIM than BES users?

I hope I don't have to reactivate my Treo.
If we're talking medicine, you may want to have a backup. Nobody's life depends on my work, but my company uses blackberry, but the actual on call people also carry pagers (you know what i'm talking about, they have 3-4 buttons... maybe 2 lines of text) through USA Mobility.

They're inexpensive. Make sure you get the kind that have what they call "guaranteed delivery" - this is where the pager sends an acknowledgment back to the network that it actually received the message - some paging networks don't do this, so they transmit the message, and if you don't get it, you're SOL.

Anyway, those are the only devices that I have ever worked with where I have never seen any downtime.
Closed Thread