BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
sac28852

Model: 7100T
Default BlackBerry Brand Bluetooth Headset?

Please Login to Remove!

Where is it? Now, I understand that they just started using bluetooth in their devices, but i would expect that they release some type of bluetooth headset especially for the blackberry.

i think it sucks that us blackberry advocates have to dish out money to third party manu. for their headsets (plantronics, jabra and especially MOTORLA). I mean even samsung has a headset now, and very few of their non-pda phones have bluetooth. I think RIM should take action....does anyone agree.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Sure... they will license and rebrand another manufacturer's product and sell it to you at a 10% higher price. RIM is in the market of making blackberry's and BES, not in the accessories market. The accessories they sell now are just subbed out to other companies that make the products for RIM.

cd.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
blackberrycat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Personally, I like the idea of RIM concentrating their resources to making better blackberry's than spreading itself thin "chasing" accessories. Let the "big boys or girls" of accessories support RIM's inventions, that way only the better ones survive in the market-place. So, the bottom-line? We the discriminating bb users will send strong messenges to the accessories makers what we like and hate about their products. Let's do our homeworks and spread the news here!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Explain to me how RIM making bluetooth headsets would make sense? It would require them to take money away from their real innovations, and what would make a RIM headset so much better than any other bluetooth headset? Pretty much every modern BT headset will work with your BlackBerry. Unless they really, really hit a home run, it would be a losing venture. Leave the accessories to the accessory makers.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
sac28852

whoa whoa who, i understand rim's tenacity in regards to innovation, i am not suggesting that they disregard that and spend all their ime on making BT headsets, i was just curious to why they cant release one of thjeir own. Hell, i dont even use Bt headset, let alone a regular wired headset. I just like to buy products that come from the same manufacturer instead of giving it to motorola or plantronics. so be easy you guys

brooks
Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

First of all, not all cell phone manufacturers make their own headsets. There are some exceptions like Motorola. However, Nokia, for example, does not make their own headsets -- Plantronics does.

It's faulty reasoning to assume that a headset and a phone with the same branding will necessarily work "better" with each other. Granted, some headsets don't work well with certain phones but in general Bluetooth is a standard that is pretty well adhered to. There's nothing that could really be done to make a Bluetooth headset "more for a Blackberry" than any other since the Blackberry has fewer phone-related features than just about any other cell phone out there (no voice dial, etc.). I guess you could slap a Blackberry logo on the thing and charge extra for it.

IMO it's really best just to go out there and find the best Bluetooth headset out there in terms of your personal comfort and performance. Who cares what the branding is? I'd place that feature dead last on my list of Bluetooth headset priorities but to each his own...

Last edited by takeshi; 06-27-2005 at 08:59 AM..
Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
sac28852

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
First of all, not all cell phone manufacturers make their own headsets. There are some exceptions like Motorola. However, Nokia, for example, does not make their own headsets -- Plantronics does.

It's faulty reasoning to assume that a headset and a phone with the same branding will necessarily work "better" with each other. Granted, some headsets don't work well with certain phones but in general Bluetooth is a standard that is pretty well adhered to. There's nothing that could really be done to make a Bluetooth headset "more for a Blackberry" than any other since the Blackberry has fewer phone-related features than just about any other cell phone out there (no voice dial, etc.). I guess you could slap a Blackberry logo on the thing and charge extra for it.

IMO it's really best just to go out there and find the best Bluetooth headset out there in terms of your personal comfort and performance. Who cares what the branding is? I'd place that feature dead last on my list of Bluetooth headset priorities but to each his own...
Okay, thats is a resonable arguement, i guess im justr a logo jockey, i love to have all my stuff branded by the same company. be easy

brooks
Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Move
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Additionally, what type of profit margin is in a BT headset? Probably not too much in a market that's saturated with BT headset manufacturers. The real money is with innovative products. RIM BB is innovative and they will reap the benefits of a profitable product.

It's all about making money
Closed Thread