Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8703 reboots often...

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8703 on the Sprint network. I had one for about a year and got tired of it rebooting for no apparent reason. Finally I got a new device and wouldn't you know, it's happening with this one too. I think I nailed it down to the BB web browser. Well, that's the only thing I can come up with for the reason it happens. On several occasions when using the Blackberry web browser that comes with the unit, it just stopped and rebooted itself. It'll do this a few times a week or much more often. I've found no rhyme or reason to it yet. Just seems like maybe the browser triggers it. I was searching Google on the BB browser today when it crashed and rebooted.

Any ideas? I'm on the latest version of BB software available for my device. Has this or does this happen to you? It's very annoying and I've come to not trust Blackberry because of this. Again, very annoying. If someone knows why this happens please chime in so I can fix it

P.S. It also reboots while in the holster when the browser is not in use. So that's bad news, for troubleshooting's sake. I know it's rebooting in the holster because if I see my Enterprise Messenger logged in when I pull it out of the holster, it rebooted. I have that messenger set to log in automatically, but I always stay logged out. So when I see it's logged in, I know it rebooted.

Last edited by 8703user; 12-23-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Old 12-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have a 8703 and its happend twice in maybe six months. I think its clearing memory when it does that.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I have an 8700g and it has spontaneously rebooted maybe twice. It's been so long I don't even remember if I was in email or the browser when it happened. Don't know what to say if it is happening all the time. Look at the apps you are running? Look at free memory as Dawg suggests? Time for OS reinstall?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

My 8703e has rebooted twice, maybe 3 times, since I got it in April. Once I remember I had tried to open a web page that is really large and I thought that's what caused it. The other time I had no idea what caused it. I've noticed since upgrading the OS that I can view web pages that it choked on before. 8703user, maybe try setting your browser emulation to something different and see if it helps.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
grinch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Mine reboots too (8703e VZW), usually a few times a week. I'm pretty sure that my Messages database is simply too large. I could set it to only keep messages for 3 months instead of 6.

I also find that deleting multiple messages at once (select a few messages, then Delete) takes over one minute to complete, while deleting a single message takes only a second.

I've been wanting an 8830 to see if that'd fix the problem. I miss a GSM BlackBerry, as I always remember it running more quickly overall.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Memory being full causing it you say? I'll try to see if I can find out how much it's using at any one time and keep track of it. How would I check the memory usage. Is there an easy way?

I don't keep messages (emails) on my BB. I usually delete them within a day, so at any given time I have no more than 25 or so emails on my device.

If it helps, here's what I have loaded on my BB (extras - stuff I put on there in addition to what comes from the factory):
- blackberry maps
- google maps
- yahoo messenger (always logged out when the reboots happened)
- Wave icon theme
- Gmail application from google

Like I said, I know for sure it's rebooting even if I don't see it happen because my enterprise messenger would not be logged in if it hadn't rebooted. Also, if I see my BB is locked and it's been less than an hour since I looked at it last, I know it rebooted because it won't lock otherwise until the 1 hour time expires for when I told it to automatically lock.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

To check memory, try alt-cap-H..... Works on my 8700g and may on the 8703e, but don't know. Otherwise, go options > status. In either case, look at file free.

P.S. Doesn't looke to me like you are overloaded on apps. And you don't keep emails much to speak of. I'll be surprised if you have memory issues. But who knows.

P.S.S You are on BES, you said? Could that somehow be a factor? Don't know. Just asking? What does IT say?

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-24-2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

File Free = 37,333,788 Bytes

Yes, I'm on a BES. I'm in the IT dept myself, I talked to the person that takes care of our BES and she had no idea why it's doing this. Sprint tech support had me clear the event log in an attempt to fix the problem but it didn't seem to help. Before I got the replacement, I had 2 instances where it locked up with a blank screen and gave me a message that said: Device Error: 348. Reset". That's what pushed me over the edge to get a new device. Once I got the new one, within a few days it was rebooting itself. I suppose I could remove all but the original applications that came with it and see what happens, but then I have to ask myself...what's the point if I can't even run simple stuff like the apps I mentioned I have installed - which is common stuff and should cause no problems. I love my BB, but it's just frustrating sometimes and I can't figure out why it reboots. At least 2 other guys in my dept had the same problem and no one can figure out why it happens. Maybe when the next software update comes out that will fix it. Until then, unless I find out exactly why it's doing this, I just have to live with it.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Rebooting all the time will be hard to live with.

For grins, it would be interesting if you could take that BB off the BES for a while to see what happens.

You know with the natural antagonism between us users and IT, I'm going to have to hold IT guilty until proven innocent, right?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
mknoebel

Model: 8130

My wifes 8703e reboots too often while we are BB messengering each other. She works in the hospital and I often wondered if that had anything to do with it?? Magnetics, machines, Xrays????
Old 12-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
Stacey

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8703e rebooting

I also have an 8703e from Sprint and was having the same problem. I am now on my 3rd Blackberry....after many hours with Tech support in the store and on the phone, I think it was Yahoo IM. I have now had the Yahoo off of my phone for about 5 days and it hasn't rebooted since...which really sucks because I communicate with alot of people using IM. It's the only solution that I have been able to come up with. Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
I also have an 8703e from Sprint and was having the same problem. I am now on my 3rd Blackberry....after many hours with Tech support in the store and on the phone, I think it was Yahoo IM. I have now had the Yahoo off of my phone for about 5 days and it hasn't rebooted since...which really sucks because I communicate with alot of people using IM. It's the only solution that I have been able to come up with. Good Luck!
Try JiveTalk, you can use Yahoo! IM as well as AIM, and MSN
Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
CopyMan

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default My 8703e (Sprint) on BES also reboots many times a day!

I am also on my second BB 8703e (Sprint with BES) because of the rebooting problem! I eventually started getting the Device Error 348 and then I was forced to get a replacement. I have reloaded the OS on the second one a few weeks ago and it rebooted within 10 minutes afterwards! This one is now rebooting sometimes 4-6 times a day. It will reboot even while in the Holster because I will have to re login to my AmpClient application. I also have Google Maps 2.x loaded, the Antenna Software, plus the Blackberry Browser and Proprietary Software. I'm beginning to hate this phone as this is so frustrating to deal with. It's so unreliable. I like it when it works, but I hate it too! I guess you could say it's a "love-hate" relationship! Too much added stress. Sometimes it make my heart go into a racing mode (Atrial Fibrulation!). I'm not kidding! Why don't they (RIM) come out with an updated OS real soon to fix this? All my co-workers are having the same problem with rebooting.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
absoblogginlutely

Model: 8830

I thought CopyMan was one of my colleagues as we are in the exact same issue. We have about 12 8703e's that spontaneously reboot - mine was rebooting about 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes taking 45 minutes to reboot. We've upgraded the firmware, ensured no third party apps are installed (including google!) and still get the issues. Reboots also occur in the holster too.
Most of the time we get a "verifying security settings" message after the phone reboots but not every time. We've even had synchronised reboots where ALL the phones have suddenly rebooted themselves.
Eventually my device was upgraded to the 8830 and the reboots have stopped.
We're currently (as I type) talking to Sprint AND RIM to try and get an answer - paying for an "upgrade" to 8830's should not really be an option as the phones are not fit for the purpose if they don't stay online for 8 hours.

Update: After 45 minutes on hold whilst the Sprint rep spoke to RIM , we find that RIM do know about this problem and are working on a solution but no eta yet. If you would like to be informed of updates to the software by RIM then send an email to [email address]. subject line Email Update Request for Reboot Issue and in the body, put the fact you have an 8703 with issues rebooting at random and that you want email updates on when the problem will be resolved.

Last edited by absoblogginlutely; 01-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: news from RIM.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #15
limodewd

Model: 8703

I have an 8703 also and Im in Cleveland Area, Sprint keeps saying they have no known issues of BB's rebooting. Ive been having issues where mine has rebooted 3-4 times in an hour. Sprint store sales rep has same phone, same troubles. Hes been trying to figure it out too and on phone with higher ups with no luck either. And Sprint doesnt want to help much at all with it either, no discounts no nothing

Very baaaad customer service, IVe been a Nextel customer for 6 yrs and was told Sprint would answer all of my unanswered prayers. Now I have more headaches than I had with my 7520

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Sprint has bad customer service for sure, but I and many otherz I know, with the 8703e do not have rebooting issues. I think they may have been right.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw

I've been having the same problem for over a year, but I've found out how to make it more tolerable. It's probably happening daily now. I replaced my first 8703 when it started happening, but have kept this one because I figured it's probably the same across the board. The first few times it happened to me, it would take literally 45 minutes of rebooting to become active again. However, the same was true if I took the battery out. I do about 5-6000 minutes/month sometimes and do a lot of email and text. I found that if I go in once per week and purge everything over a week old, it only takes 5 minutes for my phone to come back on.

I go to Messages and hit alt-p for phone, then I delete everything over 5 days.
I go to alt-O for outgoing and do the same
then I delete all sms's

I used the 8830 for a month and found that it was MUCH faster at deleting things.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #18
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

When I had my 8703e from Alltel, I would notice it re-booting every once in a while. I could be at my desk, with the Blackberry sitting there, and it would re-boot. Not running anything at the time.
It would usually happen when I was in my office, which is in the basement of our building. Coverage is good, so that wasnt the issue. \
I thought it was just me having this.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #19
trekuhl

Model: 8703
Carrier: vzw

have also had this prob with vzw 8703. hasnt happened in a few weeks now, but has been going on for over a year. will randomly shut off and sometime happens several times a day. then go for weeks without an issue...

mine gets rebooted every few days as i charge two extra batteries on external charger and swap out (all OEM rim bats) and have tried using individual batteries for lengths of time to ensure not simple bat issue.

ive got the warranty thru vzw but never bothered to pursue it. since sept my BB has seen some road rash from a couple small accidents and i am sure they would likely blame the issues on that even though its been happening for much longer. figure ill either swap out near end of contract, of just get a newer model this fall or wait for the next model.

-trekuhl

Last edited by trekuhl; 02-05-2008 at 04:22 AM..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

I think it is related to location and reception strength. All 3 of my Sprint 8703e's have had this problem. It will randomly reboot at home, where I have poor signal strength and my BB is constantly switching between 1X and 1XEV mode. At my office, I have a Sprint tower across the street and it has never rebooted.
Closed Thread