Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
xraydr1

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Syncing with Google calender

Please Login to Remove!

Am I able to synchronize my BB with the Google calender? When I run the desktop manager, and go to configure synch, the only options I get are Yahoo and ASCII importer/exporter. I'm kind of new at this and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
cozper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydr1 View Post
Am I able to synchronize my BB with the Google calender? When I run the desktop manager, and go to configure synch, the only options I get are Yahoo and ASCII importer/exporter. I'm kind of new at this and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The best option at the moment is to use the program offered by Google called Google Sync. It automatically syncs your online Google calendar over-the-air with your BB's calendar, so Desktop Manager isn't even required. The program has a few limitations (only syncs 24 weeks into the future, the events you add on your BB can only be synced to your default Google calendar), but besides those it works flawlessly, at least in my experience.

It's available at mobile.google.com
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

I love google sync. Works almost like outlook except it is done over-the-air which is even more convenient. I like how you can enter events on the google calendar itself on your pc and it will show up on your blackberry. Nice!!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
iceman027
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

google sync is awesome, use it all the time with no problems
Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
pearl_rocks

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

is there any way to use this without having a browser plan, just email?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
dboogie2288
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Sprint

Blech! steer clear of google sync!!

I have a pretty intense calendar setup in my outlook, which then uses GSyncit to update google calendar. Well I was hoping I could make it two way with google sync, and well lets just say the results were ugly. All of my recurring appointments were trashed, and I basically had to start fresh.

There was another 3rd party app by some small time guy written to sync with google calendar, but it failed miserably as well. Too bad google dropped the ball on this one. I would have really enjoyed seeing a flawless sync to my blackberry.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
cozper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboogie2288 View Post

I have a pretty intense calendar setup in my outlook, which then uses GSyncit to update google calendar. Well I was hoping I could make it two way with google sync, and well lets just say the results were ugly. All of my recurring appointments were trashed, and I basically had to start fresh.

There was another 3rd party app by some small time guy written to sync with google calendar, but it failed miserably as well. Too bad google dropped the ball on this one. I would have really enjoyed seeing a flawless sync to my blackberry.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that's a problem with Google Sync. I use Google Calendar exclusively and I have a bunch of recurring stuff, and Google Sync works just fine to move those events to my BB (and recurring events I create on my BB are transferred just fine to Google Calendar).

My guess is that the extra step of syncing events from Outlook to Google Calendar before they are synced to your BB messed something up. Maybe Google Sync only works if the events are originally created on your BB or in Google Calendar. Who knows...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
jwt0001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 3193046c

I haven't been able to get Google Sync to work correctly. Everytime I run it, it doesn't make any changes. I have read that there are some issues, but I don't know how to get around them.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:

I'm using the exact setup and have no problems. Maybe my calendar isn't as sophisticated as your, but still, no issues.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:

I used to feel that way but I have working at an acceptable level. I sync my Outlook to Google Calendar using SyncMyCal, sync Google Calendar to my BB using Google Sync, and removed the calendar option from DM when syncing my BB to Outlook. That last step was key, kept events from getting corrupted by using Google Calendar as the central calendar. With that setup, I am keeping my main calendar and 5 other Google Calendars synced up.

Google Sync definitely still needs work, it doesn't handle recurring events well (tends to split them up into individual events) and reminders can be an issue as well. Also, Google Sync will remove events older than a week from your BB, which is why keeping it synced to Outlook is key for me. Even with the shortcomings, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to work out the kinks.
Closed Thread