Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
thaKing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

hmm...$6? i don't pay for themes but if i were i'd want a custom theme - custom icons or something that wows me...other than changing the banner and font, you can get this by using the standard theme and adding that background...

it's nice, but i don't know if it's worth spending money on...
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
CoreyVisto

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

This thread title, and word usage sounds familiar :D
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
andriver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: What's that?
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
hmm...$6? i don't pay for themes but if i were i'd want a custom theme - custom icons or something that wows me...other than changing the banner and font, you can get this by using the standard theme and adding that background...

it's nice, but i don't know if it's worth spending money on...
Agreed. It should be something special for coin charged.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyVisto View Post
This thread title, and word usage sounds familiar :D
Lol, I can see how the thread title may look familiar. But the word usage came from me.

And based on Corey's poll, there are plenty of people that like the default icons. More that like custom ones, but still plenty that like default.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBerryCurve8300 View Post
Lol, I can see how the thread title may look familiar. But the word usage came from me.

And based on Corey's poll, there are plenty of people that like the default icons. More that like custom ones, but still plenty that like default.
yes, and i'm one that voted for default...and for default icons it should be free...i think if you look at the comments from corey's poll, those who like default probably lean more towards free themes than pay-for-themes....i may not pay, but i'll give my $0.02.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Well I guess you are entitled to your opinion. However, I feel that there is a good amount of work put into the theme either way, and that work should be compensated for. I do offer some free themes.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
thaKing

my opinion is that the "good amount of work" you put into this was just changing options in themebuilder and nothing custom really...that's all i do for my themes, and i give them away for free or just use them myself...i don't feel like i can charge for something anyone can do....i would only charge if i gave them something completely customized outside of themebuilder...

i hope you make some money, cause that only helps you in the long term...it will make you want to make more themes...this benefits everyone...i just think maybe you have begun to charge a little too soon in your theme building quest...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
slmoney
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TMobile

Whats up with all the Pay Themes lately? I guess anyone can install Themebuilder..throw a wallpaper up..and change a few colors...

Nice default icons...make them yourself? I bet Plazmic has a policy against selling their work...

Learn to make something mind blowing..then charge for it.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

I hear what you are saying, but I still stand to what I said.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the author has a right to charge whatever they want for their theme. you as consumers, have the right not to buy it. The End. lets keep this thread away from the pay/free debate please.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
CoreyVisto

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmoney View Post
Whats up with all the Pay Themes lately? I guess anyone can install Themebuilder..throw a wallpaper up..and change a few colors...

Nice default icons...make them yourself? I bet Plazmic has a policy against selling their work...

Learn to make something mind blowing..then charge for it.
=( =(
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
andriver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: What's that?
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
the author has a right to charge whatever they want for their theme. you as consumers, have the right not to buy it. The End. lets keep this thread away from the pay/free debate please.
Moderator wisdom indeed.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
gadgetbean
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD

So much hate in this forum that I am actually drawn away from posting anything anymore here... great job to all the Pay theme makers and Free theme makers alike... somehow it saddens me to see people who owns supposively free themes sites bashing constantly on people with pay theme sites... in my humble opinion, when you truly have a free site have NO Ads, NO Adsense, No Banners, no Google ads and etc.. then you can ***** all you want!!! If not in the end people with FREE theme sites are yet just taking advantage of other people's work towards their advantage by driving traffic to their site or forum with the word FREE then collecting a good fat paycheck from the payperclickers.

An somehow its such irony, what is Mind Blowing??? I put up 2 kickass themes .. and I am cursed to death by these people saying I violated this and that.. BS.. the end of the day.. its just sad.. to see a community fall to this level... How do one make a MIND BLOWING THEME ??? Would it be against NDAs and stuff huh?? So who are you really trying to benefit Mr. Free theme man which I will not name...you or the community???

In closing, keep up the good work BBerryCurve8300, CoreyVisto and those that came before I and after, you guys do great work, dont let anyone talk you down on your work!! Keep you heads high and you shall be rewarded!!! Anyone who works for an honest dollar should have the right to it if another choses to pay him for it.. let the mass decide.

Last edited by gadgetbean; 02-20-2008 at 06:14 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Very good point. You have an excellent site and you are one of the best theme builders I have seen. You keep up the good work as well! Thanks.

Last edited by ScottMB4; 02-20-2008 at 06:18 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I, too, am tired of this theme-builder bashing routine.

It get soooooooooo old each time someone puts their work up for review (commercial or free) to read the same old tired complaints. And that blade cuts both ways... I just really don't understand how the entire "theme community" can't just get along. You will all increase your level of creativity as you build others up, not as you stomp one down.

You know, in case your Mama never told you, then I will: "if you can't say something nice, just don't say it." And that applies here. Constructive criticism is one thing, bashing is another. And as adults, we know the difference. For those that don't know the difference, there is a door that will be closed behind you. This is not censorship, it is just plain decency. Let's adhere to a new standard around here, please.

/ok, my rant off.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-20-2008 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #16
thaKing

ok, so my posts were moved here...but i think my comments were constructive criticisms...he's asking to be paid for something that probably took just mins to create...i suggested adding some flair to this and then ask for money...

i don't think that's bashing anyone...i think that is GREAT criticism...oh well...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Yes... Editing icons, changing colors, figuring out the best color scheme, making/finding backgrounds, checking, double checking, creating/editing things in Photoshop, testing it in a simulator, fixing things, putting it on a phone, fixing things, exporting, hosting downloads... That really takes minutes to do, now doesn't it?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
thaKing

again, like i said, you have made minor mods in theme builder..i've made themes and can see the changes you've made...i only suggested you try more "advanced" additions to your themes if you're going to try to sell them...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yea, oh well.

Thanks for keeping it all here.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
again, like i said, you have made minor mods in theme builder..i've made themes and can see the changes you've made...i only suggested you try more "advanced" additions to your themes if you're going to try to sell them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
the author has a right to charge whatever they want for their theme. you as consumers, have the right not to buy it.
Closed Thread