BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Rodolfo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Help: 7100t rang while device turned off??

Please Login to Remove!

Well, although I've been advanced to the stage of "knowing where the keys are", I'm really still figuring it out after four months: I was in a meeting today and was sure I turned off my 7100t instead of just changing modes to ensure that nothing would go off. Yet, the phone rang when a call came in. Should I have turned off the radio before turning the device off? Was this a malfunction or is this a feature I'm not appreciating today? Or is the only explanation that I couldn't have turned it off as I thought I had? Thanks for any advice on a way of totally shutting down a 7100t short of taking the battery out. (By turning off I mean holding down the power button until I get the "shutting down... unless.." message.) Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
camerch
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t

I would definately recommend turning off the wireless portion of the device to ensure that this wont happen again, however, like you said I think that it may not have turned off like you though, if you press the trackwheel or any key while the device is powering off then it stops the shut down process....

When the device is off it still has life in it but I've never heard of being able to receive a call when powered off, if problems still occur I would re-load the handheld software on the device;
Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Rodolfo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks camerch. I've tried to replicate the problem tonight and I can't, so I'll assume I didn't do what I thought I did. Indeed, I did think I had confirmed that it was off -as I usually do- by clicking the trackwheel and getting no response. Anyway.. thanks for your response.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo
Thanks camerch. I've tried to replicate the problem tonight and I can't, so I'll assume I didn't do what I thought I did. Indeed, I did think I had confirmed that it was off -as I usually do- by clicking the trackwheel and getting no response. Anyway.. thanks for your response.
The on-off power switch is very flaky on the 7100 series. Blackberry's are NOT supposed to have power switches, and RIM did a very poor job implementing the power fuctions on the 7100 series. Rather than turing it off, set your phone into quiet or vibrate mode. If you really want to be safe you can also turn off the wireless radio, but if you are in quiet mode NOTHING should make ANY noise UNLESS you have your alarm clock set, the alarm clock WILL over-ride the quiet setting (which is good, since I set my BB to quiet mode at bed time and use the BBalarmclock to wake me in the morning).
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
jasonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T

I agree that the power button is not real reliable. I have had several times that I have attempted to shutdown mine and it doesn't appear to shut off. It seems to me to be a little to recessed in the top of the 7100t. If it was me I would rather not just have one on there at all. Just my thoughts.

PIN - 202F0651
Old 08-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
disconnekt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If the BB can still ring when power is "off," what is the power button for anyway? I mean, what's the difference between pressing power off and just letting the BB go to sleep?

Last edited by disconnekt; 08-02-2005 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: rephrase
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
DrumWild
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

The power button tricked me, too. I switch to QUIET mode. To turn off:

1. SETTINGS
2. TURN POWER OFF
Closed Thread