Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Huntersplc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is There Anyway to tell if my Replacement Curve is a Refurb

Please Login to Remove!

I am exspecting my replacement today. And I want to be able to see if it was a refurb. And your Opinnion of a refurb woudl be nice. They kinda scare me. but I have no reason other than the fact that its been apart for some reason.

Thank you for your response
Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

Usually if it comes as just a BB no battery or cover its a refurb. Usually not a problem. They recover them and make sure they work. I have had a few and never had a problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

Odds are it will be a refurb! If it comes in a box like you would get as a new purchase it is likely not a refurb any other box and it probably is!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

A new comes in a sealed box with the accessories and a refurb. will come in a box with just the phone (no battery or cover). The box is usually label with "Returned Hardware" or something of that nature.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

think of it this way... one out of every lot is inspected for quality assurance on the assembly line.

a refurb was originally a problem device that was returned... usually just an openbox item that the previous user couldnt figure out how to use and falsely blamed the device. even if it were faulty, both circumstances require RIM to fully inspect the device beyond what their quality control performs with a new manufacture, and repairs, replaces bits as necessary.

in whole, a refurb is usually better than new as far as quality. of course this depends on the manufacturer... i wouldnt trust a Dell refurb to do anything but continue use as a paperweight.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Lunga Bunga
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default refurb

I just bought a refurb BB Curve 8310 and I took it to an AT&T Store and held it next to a new one and I couldn't tell the difference. Not a hair line scratch.. dent..blemish anywhere on mine. And no problems out of it either. I have 3 Bluetooths pared with it with no issues.... use it to make calls ....... search directions.... use the internet and haven't had any problems at all . It's like buying a Handgun. once you take it out of the store. even if you never fire it or take it out of the box... it's considered used. Considerng I saved over $300.00 buying a refurb that has a warranty also. I'll do it again the nex one I buy.
Tony.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

My refurb has a different PIN number than on the label underneath the battery. The IMEI is probably different as well. The other way I knew is that the green phone key and the trackball button seem a bit worn, as in they sit lower than my new phone's did and aren't as snappy.

The refurb has been much better than the original, new phone I had, but mine was a warranty replacement so by definition I had a bad unit to begin with.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Garz08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: At&t

Wirelessly posted

I bought my 8310 refurbished with At&T and it has been excellent. Nobody can tell the difference.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

Nothing wrong with refurb. Some don't trust them. When I purchase electronics I always try to search for refurbs first because most of the time you save alot of money and you don't have to worry about issues as they have already been addressed.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

Usually if it comes as just a BB no battery or cover its a refurb. Usually not a problem. They recover them and make sure they work. I have had a few and never had a problem.

I have also and never had any problems.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
irockash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Only reason I'm hesitant is refurbs through AT&T only have a 90 day warranty, as opposed to 1 yr on new devices. That's if you're buying them directly.

I'm not sure about exchanges done though.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
dragoro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 247E8178
Carrier: att

if you buy a refurb through att, its a 90 day warranty. If its a warrranty replacement through att, then warranty lasts as long as the original did. I just got a refurb replacement, and warrranty is still good till next febuary.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
jdcdpm52

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon wireless

I had problems with my new pearl in March when I got it...verizon switched it out in store for a new one...that one had a problem 3 weeks later...but was out of the 30 day guarantee so called into tech support...they sent me a refurb unit (they call them field repacement units "FRU") This one has worked perfect! better than the two new out of the box ones. I am getting a curve tomorrow...not because of the pearl quality, but I have given sure type 4 months and it is driving me nuts! So my wife inherits my pearl...which is a replacement that still works perfect!
Closed Thread