BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
figota

Default GPS for the 7280 and 6280

Please Login to Remove!

Can anyone let me know if there is a GPS system or software that can be installed or downloaded for the 7280 or 6280?
I would appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jose Figueroa
[email address]
Old 08-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

It's not possible on 72XX and 62XX because they have no way of attaching to external peripherals, since they don't have Host USB (only Client USB). Unless the peripheral managed to build in a Host USB which would be unheard of in the industry of USB peripherals!

However, it may be possible for the 67XX (and maybe 77XX series) because they can be attached to external devices such as external keyboards -- I believe they are serial. If one wrote a GPS program for it. I do not think the BlackBerry has enough CPU nor memory to provide useful navigation, although simple GPS could technically be pulled off with an external GPS if there was a compatible connector adaptor and that a software program was written.

I wouldn't count on this being pratical until the 7290 which would just maybe work with Bluetooth GPS units if a Bluetooth serial profile was available, and make it possible to write a GPS program (assuming the 7290 had the resources to run at least a simple GPS software program, even if not a map nevigation program)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
knoppi
Thumbs Must Hurt

I know a company which already developed a Java based navigation application for the Blackberry. It works with a BT GPS receiver for the Charm. I will ask them tomorrwo if they tested 77xx series and serial connections.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
jeremy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Very cool! 8) Keep us informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoppi
I know a company which already developed a Java based navigation application for the Blackberry. It works with a BT GPS receiver for the Charm. I will ask them tomorrwo if they tested 77xx series and serial connections.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I wonder if the USB port on the device could be utilized for external peripherals? Anyone ever researched this?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
eradis

Model: 8700r

Yes RIM gives you all the APIs to talk to the USB or Com port.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

so theoretically if you had a gps tracker or whatever, say one that connected to a palm and could make a usb cable that would fit into it and talk to the BB, you could take advantage of it...
Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
eradis

Model: 8700r

Absolutely.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #9
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Well someone get to work on it!!! :p
Old 09-15-2004, 12:17 AM   #10
jeremy

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Can a pawn (in this game of chess) like myself get access to API documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
Well someone get to work on it!!! :p
Old 09-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You can get access to some of the API:
http://blackberryclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=270

Unfortunately, no way to connect to a GPS yet at the moment. I suspect you will need to wait until around BlackberryOS 4.1 and the 7100/7290 or thereabouts before it becomes feasible for third parties to develop for Bluetooth peripherals such as Bluetooth GPS. The connector is a client USB only, not a host USB, so you cannot connect any existing GPS -- even RIM couldn't design a GPS driver for the 7280 if they wanted to!

The first modern Blackberry handhelds that would theoretically work with a wide variety of accessories are the 7100 and 7290 with Bluetooth peripherals. Estimated summer 2005 would be my wild guess, if RIM decides to allow Bluetooth API's for RIM-signed applications -- assuming the support of a bare-bones Bluetooth serial profile which would be just about enough to work with a Bluetooth GPS unit.

First version of BlackberryOS with Bluetooth will probably ONLY support headsets, but expect significant pressure by people (including me, consumer Charm users, etc) for RIM to support Bluetooth peripherals in a revision of BlackberryOS.

Mid 2005 is my wild guess before other Bluetooth peripherals begin to become supported. Then we'll perhaps have Bluetooth keyboard support, Bluetooth GPS support, Bluetooth modem support, etc. Hopefully MUCH SOONER, but with typical RIM cautiousness and security concerns, I estimate middle of 2005.

RIM is always cautious about security. It is noted the vast majority of Bluetooth security concerns are mainly about addressbooks (bluejacking), not peripherals. The security considerations of a Bluetooth headphone isn't different from the security considerations of a Bluetooth peripheral like GPS or keyboards, the encryption is essentially the same.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #12
iRoninTMO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

so far as I know, including RIM support, GPS support through the GSM/GPRS system, GPS only exists based on the understanding of the digital base station, the location of the person based on the tower their phone registers with. I.E. without an IP connection to GPS satellite, the only GPS is going to be implemented on GSM/GPRS connection is through the limited mileage of a GSM/GPRS tower (limited to only a few miles) and which tower your phone, which is always registered by the phone. So far as I know only that way is the only way.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

iRoninTMO,

Real GPS is theoretically possible using a Bluetooth connection to an external Bluetooth GPS unit which are getting popular -- there are over 15 brands of external BlueTooth GPS units found at http://www.gpspassion.com at this time. It appears to have been successfully tested with Charm, however, when this becomes public I do not think will be until around mid-2005. Time will tell!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #14
myearwood

Model: 7290
Default Here are a couple of GPS companies

http://redskymobile.com/blackberry/index.html

http://www.blackberrystuff.com/acces...ee&sku_no=5040

No idea what they're like yet, but there's stuff on the horizon!
Closed Thread