Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
camerch
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t
Default New Cingular BB, Codname: Electron

Please Login to Remove!

Just to fill everyone in...

The rumored BlackBerry device codename "Electron" is schedueled for release from Cingular Wireless on October 28th, 2005. This is just a code name not sure of the actually device model number but I can confirm that this device is real and will be available around Oct 28th.

More details to come!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Thanks for the heads up, we'll see if it's true come 2&1/2 months from now.

HOWEVER... There's already a thread about this subject. Your message really should've been posted there.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
camerch

Granted that there is a post already, it's in the rumor section, not general discussion which this is in and it's not a rumor so it wouldn't belong there..
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerch
Granted that there is a post already, it's in the rumor section, not general discussion which this is in and it's not a rumor so it wouldn't belong there..
Actually, I'd say it's STILL a rumor... unless you'd care to name (and provide a link to) a REPUTABLE source for the release date!

Internet Messageboard Posting Mistake Numero Uno: Stating a rumor or opinion as fact without backing the statement up with a single shred of proof!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
camerch

Yes, I work for Cingular Wireless and I have access to the new release spreadsheets...

So YES I can confirm this device!

Sorry to bust your bubble! You should be happy not optimistic!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Wink

Quote:
Yes, I work for Cingular Wireless and I have access to the new release spreadsheets...

So YES I can confirm this device!
Duly noted.

However... I work for an independant cell phone dealer that carried Cingular up until a month and a half ago. Frankly, I'll believe it when I see the Electron in stores. The reason: Cingular's new phone release dates get pushed back ALL THE TIME because Cingular's product testing cycle is so strict.

Remember the Motorola A630? The text messaging phone that was heavily advertised in the holiday magazine given out at Cingular stores last year? And yet, where is that phone now? T-Mobile exclusive, that's where! Cingular delayed it repeatedly, and ultimately passed on it because it didn't pass their rigorous product testing, which ticked off LOTS of customers that were waiting anxiously for that phone!

So, like I said, I'll believe it when I see the new BB in stores. With 2&1/2 months to go, I expect that date to change several times!
Quote:
Sorry to bust your bubble! You should be happy not optimistic!
As for being happy... I'll be happy when I can get an Electron/8100/whatever on NEXTEL! But I already know that's probably at least a year away... the Nextel 7100 is still at least a couple more months away, after all!

And I think you meant PESSimistic! Optimistic means looking on the bright side!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 08-17-2005 at 01:12 AM..
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
bperkins

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Just to fill everyone in...

The rumored BlackBerry device codename "Electron" is schedueled for release from Cingular Wireless on October 28th, 2005. This is just a code name not sure of the actually device model number but I can confirm that this device is real and will be available around Oct 28th.

More details to come!
Thanks for the info!! Excited about this device. Since the tentative date is 10/28....wonder when RIM will release the info on it via a PR? Don't they usually release the device on their site first before it goes live with a carrier.

Jack.....go easy on the guy, this sounds legit to me. If he works for Cingular, why would he not be privy to pre release info?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I dont see a 7100 on nextel coming at all maybe on the sprint side..
Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

I remember how excrutiating the wait for the Cingular 7290 was, but it did come out within a reasonable time after its expected due date. Of course those of us interested in one wanted it faster than it came out, but it did speedily hit the sales racks, looking back at it. And it came out when it did because of the Christmas sales period. We might have a similar experience with the Electron. But the problem appears to be that we want it yesterday, rather than this fall.

Patience with camerech guys. I would counsel a couple of things:

1). It's coming up on a year since the latest edition of a Berry (7290) came out, and the competition has ratcheted up since. It's time for RIM to take the next step, so I wouldn't be surprised that the Electron is it. I certainly haven't heard of anything else.
2). Christmas time is the best time to hit the market with a new device, so October-November sounds like a reasonable release date for me. Certainly better than December-January.

Last edited by guinda35; 08-17-2005 at 10:16 AM..
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperkins
Jack.....go easy on the guy, this sounds legit to me. If he works for Cingular, why would he not be privy to pre release info?
Oh, I agree that it sounds legit... Now that I know he works for Cingular. It's just that he didn't mention that fact in his first post, which take us to my responses to the effect of "what's your source for this info?"

And like I said, I used to sell Cingular phones. Did so for about 8 months. In that time, I experienced first-hand the accuracy of their release date info. If they say "new phone XYZ will be out this week", you can count on it. Anything farther in advance than that, and it's still something you should consider a tentative date that is highly subject to change. It's all because Cingular does something like 400 hours of testing on every product, apparently the most rigorous product testing of any carrier. During that phase, if they find something they consider a flaw, they'll send the product back to the manufacturer and delay its release. That's what happened with the Motorola A630... repeatedly.

Now, we all know RIM makes good products. They really know what they're doing. But that's no guarantee that Cingular won't say "we think this is an issue, fix it!"

Of course, that wouldn't be so bad if Cingular's product testing actually worked as well as they want us to think it does. They'll cancel the launch of the A630, a phone that seems to satisfy most of its owners, but they'll release (and then ultimately recall) bug-ridden phones like the V600 and the MPX-220. So, Cingular gets an A for having the right idea, and a C- for the actual execution of it.

That's just my 2 cents on the subject, FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I dont see a 7100 on nextel coming at all maybe on the sprint side..
Well, it's been slowly leaking out for a couple months that Nextel's next Blackberry WILL be a 7100 series unit! I'm pretty sure there's a thread on the subject over in the Rumors Forum. I've even seen a picture of the unit. Looks like a slightly modified 7100g.

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 08-17-2005 at 01:28 PM..
Old 08-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
bperkins

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Jack...I am not disagreeing with you about Cingular pushing release dates back. I have read about this happening quite frequently. I was was just thankful that someone was able to get a more tentative date for release. Not knowing why he did not release his "source" I would think that it could be he/she did not want to divulge who for fear of repercussions.
Closed Thread