Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Tink *~*~*

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Seeking advice - taming the migration monster

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone. Brand new to this forum. I have a Curve 8310, recently acquired. I previously used a Motorola RIZR with T-mobile, but I moved to an area where T-mobile is sketchy, so I switched to AT&T. When I called AT&T, they had refurbished Curve 8310 for only $30 bucks, so that was a no brainer - I wanted qwerty and a camera on a smartphone and the price was right, so I went for it.

My calendar and phone book contacts are on Palm Desktop v4.1.4 which I use with an old Zire. I would like to stop carrying two devices, but I'm not sure what to do to get my data from Palm Desktop into the Curve, and then to continue to be able to add/edit data using a desktop app.

Can I make the Curve work/sync with Palm Desktop?

If not, is there some other desktop app to which I could migrate the Palm data and sync with the Curve?

Complicating matters - I have a lot of email contact information in Thunderbird, and I'm wondering if there is a way to migrate that data to the Curve too, but that's really secondary to making it so I don't have to carry both the Curve and the Palm Zire.

Thanks for any advice. I've been googling around about this but not having much luck, so I was glad to find this forum.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

I was also a Palm user who migrated over to a Curve. I really like Palm Desktop but I'm pretty sure you can't sync your Curve with Palm Desktop because it's pretty much a proprietary software. You would have to use something like Outlook. Outlook is more universal and works with many devices.

To migrate your data from Palm to Outlook, you need to reinstall Palm Desktop. When you do that, it will ask whether you want to sync your data to Palm or Outlook. Choose Outlook and it will install a conduit called PocketMirror that will migrate your Palm data over to Outlook.

Once your data is in Outlook you will have no problems synching your data between that and your Curve using BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

As for your email contacts, I'm sure you can easily export them to a file (like Excel) and import that back into Outlook.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Ricky-Ray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I agree with Trimix, reinstall the palm software and set it to use Outlook.

In Thunderbid you should be able to export your contact as a CSV file. One you do that you can import that into outlook and all your contact info will be there. Once it's all in outlook you can easily sync the info to your blackberry.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Tink *~*~*

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the prompt advice.

I've never used Outlook. However, I just looked under "Microsoft Office", and my computer DOES have Outlook 2003 installed.

Seeing as how it's 2008, I have to ask - can I expect such an old version of Outlook to behave as the both of you indicate?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Most definitely. I'm using Outlook XP, which is considered 2002.

I really liked the UI on Palm Desktop, but it took me about 2 weeks to realize that Outlook was pretty good and if not more thorough in many other areas.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Ricky-Ray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Yes.you should have no problems with it. If you are feel free to email me and I can helop you with it.

A Fisherman at heart living in the IT world.
Closed Thread