Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
MAC525
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Problem Syncing BlackBerry Calendar to Outlook

Please Login to Remove!

I am having a problem syncing my BlackBerry Calendar to my Outlook. I have a BlackBerry Curve 8830 through Verizon running OS v4.3.0.127 and my desktop runs Outlook 2003.

My device has multiple calendars: one called "Desktop," one for my work email address and one for my Hotmail. My default calendar was Desktop. I understand from reading through various posts that I need to change my default calendar to the email address my Outlook is configured to (i.e. my work email address). However, all of my calendar entries are saved under the Desktop calendar, not my work calendar.

I have three questions:

1. What exactly is the Desktop calendar and how is this calendar different from my work calendar and my Hotmail calendar?

2. Why can't I configure things to sync my Desktop calendar to my Outlook?

3. If I can't configure things to sync my Desktop calendar to my Outlook, then how can I change all the entries in my BlackBerry to be under my work calendar so that I can sync my work calendar with my Outlook since my Outlook seems to be associated with my work calendar?

I would greatly appreciate any help. I have spent hours trying to fix this problem to no avail. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

MAC525, If you have an 8830, this is the right forum for your question.

1. Are you on a BES corporate plan? That would be your [Desktop] Calendar.

2. You can. On your BIS accounts, you can do that.

I am thinking you need to do this, and determine which calendar email profile ALL your calendar entries need to placed under:

Dude, wherexxx8217;s my calendar? | BlackBerryNews.com
Old 08-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
MAC525

I used to be on a BES corporate plan, which I'm guessing is why I have a Desktop Calendar listed (I recently left the company that had a BES so I'm now on BIS).

Thank you so much for the link - this is very helpful! I will do the steps listed there. However, I have a slight problem: I can't back up my Calendar because of the syncing problem I'm having. So how can I back up my data before doing the suggested steps to make sure my data is intact?

FYI, the main place where I'll be syncing my data is on my work PC. I tried syncing my data to my home MacBook Pro via Missing Sync and Pocketmac as well as my Dell laptop at home via BlackBerry Desktop Manager but both computers aren't seeing my BlackBerry, i.e. when I plug in my BlackBerry it's not listed as being connected both in the software (Missing Sync, Pocketmac and Desktop Manager) as well as by the computers themselves. So, I can't backup my data on my home computers either.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Oh, then you have to get past the computer recognizing your BB first.

When you connect to the PC or laptop (XP or Vista?) does the charge symbol on your BB appear (a small electrical bolt like symbol on or next to the battery)?

Once your BB is recognized on the PC or laptop (let's forgo dealing with the Mac now), to sync with Outlook, you will need to disable the wireless sync (leftover from the old BES config). Do you have ANY calendar events on the [Desktop] email that you need?
In Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation > turn "OFF" Wireless Reconcile.

(you may need to turn that OFF also at Calendars > Options > etc..)

BUT still, if you don't have ANY calendar events you want to save under the [Desktop] email profile, you can go to Options > Advanced > Service Books and delete your [Desktop] email entries there... but don't do that if you need those events.

I know all this sounds complicated, but it is nothing much to overcome once you get the BB recognized on the PC.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
MAC525

Yes, when I connect to my MacBook laptop, which runs Leopard, and my Dell laptop, which runs Windows XP, I do see the charge symbol on my BlackBerry. However, when I try to find the device as being connected to my USB port, the computers do not see it.

I did disable my wireless sync in my Calendar, Address Book, Memos and Tasks.

Unfortunately, all my Calendar events are saved under the Desktop calendar.

As for the Service Books, my old company's email address is no longer listed under the Service Books.

You are right in that the first place to start is by having my computer recognize my BlackBerry first. How should I go about doing this?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Does you XP laptop have Desktop Manager loaded to it?
I would recommend DM version 4.3 without Media Manager
BlackBerry Desktop Manager Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ

Load DM to the latop, reboot the PC. Pull the battery on the BB while still powered ON, replace and reboot the BB.

After both are back up and running , then connect the USB cable to the BB and then open Desktop Manager.

Any luck?

Last edited by JSanders; 08-14-2008 at 04:20 PM..
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
MAC525

I am getting ready to throw my computer and my BlackBerry against a wall!

I uninstalled Desktop Manager v4.5 and installed Desktop Manager v4.3 as suggested. I rebooted my laptop and my BlackBerry. Unfortunately, my laptop still is not recognizing my BlackBerry. My BlackBerry is shown as charging when it is plugged in but my laptop does not show the BlackBerry. It is not listed when I try to find it under Device Manager.

Do you know of anything else I can try? Do you have any idea why my computer is not detecting my BlackBerry?

Note: my office computer DOES detect my BlackBerry, as I can sync everything but my Calendar to my Outlook there (but my Calendar is one of my most important applications, hence why it is crucial that I be able to back it up someplace).
Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

check your device manager and make sure you don't have a yellow symbol next to your usb driver, if you do unistall it, unplug it and plug it back in.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Mac525, on your laptops, do you have other devices in drive letters f: or g I understand the BlackBerry like to connect at one of those two letters. If you have something in those drive letters, rename them to a higher letter, like m:, n:, etc.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
ziesworld

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC525 View Post
I am getting ready to throw my computer and my BlackBerry against a wall!

I uninstalled Desktop Manager v4.5 and installed Desktop Manager v4.3 as suggested. I rebooted my laptop and my BlackBerry. Unfortunately, my laptop still is not recognizing my BlackBerry. My BlackBerry is shown as charging when it is plugged in but my laptop does not show the BlackBerry. It is not listed when I try to find it under Device Manager.

Do you know of anything else I can try? Do you have any idea why my computer is not detecting my BlackBerry?

Note: my office computer DOES detect my BlackBerry, as I can sync everything but my Calendar to my Outlook there (but my Calendar is one of my most important applications, hence why it is crucial that I be able to back it up someplace).

MAC 525,

Hope I am not too late to help...

There is a pretty easy solution to get your laptop to recognize the blackberry, check to see if the mass storage mode has been turned off.

The first time you use the usb to sync the blackberry will ask you "Turn on Mass Storage Mode?" If you selected "No" and checked off "do not ask again" it wont ask you, it just wont show up in your C drive or in Finder on your mac.

To change it in Options, just go to "Media Card."

Hope you didn't throw it against the wall...

Laura
Closed Thread