Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Aidan UK

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry v Windows Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using a Blackberry Pearl on BIS in the UK on the Orange network. I've had this for 12 months since starting my own business and prior thereto was with a company that had BES.
I'm sure that with BES the Blackberry system is far superior to Windows mobile . I'm due an upgrade and am minded to switch to a Windows Mobile product.
The reason for this is I am frequently abroad for 2 weeks and am frustrated at having to deal with emails on my Pearl and then on my return having to again read, delete and move the same emails whereas with a windows mobile device I can plug the device in and messages will be synchronised with my Microsoft Outlook.
This situation seems to be a major failing with the Blackberry and I'm surprised RIM havent provided a message sync solution on the desktop manager. Perhaps they are only interested in corporate business ?
Perhaps I am missing somthing or there is a solution ? Any assistance would be most welcome.
Aidan UK
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Smatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: O2

The same problem happened to me with the pearl - all of a sudden, the option to 'delete from Handheld and Mailbox' disappeared, leading to the very same problem you are having.

Haven't got a solution for you currently, but I upgraded to the curve, and it now allows the mailbox and handheld deletion option - meaning no unwanted deliveries to my inbox upon my return from business trip/holiday etc.

Stick to the BB, I tried the Microsoft office, and came rushing back,
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
dodgydane
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone

The "only" thing I would bear in mind is that compression is far superior on a BlackBerry device and if you're going abroad with a Windows device you would have bigger data transfers and could therefore have higher cost.
You want to check that out.
Not sure if you are on a tariff that will allow for a certain amount of data while abroad?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Aidan UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydane View Post
The "only" thing I would bear in mind is that compression is far superior on a BlackBerry device and if you're going abroad with a Windows device you would have bigger data transfers and could therefore have higher cost.
Not sure if you are on a tariff that will allow for a certain amount of data while abroad?
Hi,

Good point - I hadnt thought about data compression. As you know using UK mobiles abroad is very expensive for voice and data - particularly on Orange. I've just come back from 16 days in Spain and I'm dreading the bill.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Aidan UK

Quote:
This function does work but it doeant assist me as when I retirn to my PC I need to file emails for future reference. If I cant sync my Blackberry and I've deleted from server they are lost forever.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
dodgydane

Which messages would you have deleted from the server?
(sorry if I missed something?!)
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
aapierre

Model: 9520

the old os used to have the option to delete from mailbox and server but i don't get that on my updated os.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
Aidan UK

Quote:
Which messages would you have deleted from the server?
(sorry if I missed something?!)
if I delete messages from my Blackberry and use the delete from server option on BIS I presume they wouldnt be available to download from my POP3 server to my PC on my return from the office.
This issue is a slight sidetrack to the key thrust of my original post which if the wish to be able to file messages in my Outlook sub folders on my PDA to avoid the double handling. Hence I'm considering ditching my Blackberry and getting a HTC TYTNII.
The purpose of my original post was a last ditch attempt to establish a Blackberry solution
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
dodgydane

Seems like you have already made up your mind.
If you don't like it you can always come back.
I know of a lot of people who are very happy with their Windows Devices but it isn't for me personally.

Did you ever consider hosted Exchange and BES?
if you don't like the Windows device maybe you should consider that so you take advantage of all the features of BES.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
Aidan UK

Quote:
Seems like you have already made up your mind.
If you don't like it you can always come back.
I know of a lot of people who are very happy with their Windows Devices but it isn't for me personally.

if you don't like the Windows device maybe you should consider that so you take advantage of all the features of BES.
I havent made my mind up. I'm certainly swinging to wards a WM device but I posted this thread having searched the forum in the hope someone would persuade me otherwise.
I presumed that as I'm a business of one person the costs of BES and the technical knowledge required would be beyond me. I dont understand what a hosted exchange involves.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
PaulMdx

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Firstly let me say I used my O2 XDA Mini-S (aka Wizard) very happily for 2-3 years until I got my BlackBerry. At the moment I have a personal BlackBerry 8100 and 7290, and a company O2 Stellar (TyTN II).

I would think very carefully before ponying up for a TyTN II without having tried it in person. At the time I thought my Wizard was excellent, but I find WM devices horrible to use these days. My BlackBerrry just works more fluidly with less clicking, waiting and messing around (especially when connecting abroad with poor reception). My biggest beef with my TyTN II is the keyboard though - beyond issues like poor recognition of button presses / double presses, poor tactility (if that's a word) of what key you're on, it just isn't a very enjoyable typing experience.

Quote:
Definitely a good suggestion.

Here's a company that offers hosted Exchange/BES services:

Berkeley IT - BlackBerry enterprise hosting

Essentially they have a corporate setup that they resell to smaller entities.

Last edited by PaulMdx; 09-04-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan UK View Post
I dont understand what a hosted exchange involves.
Have you looked at any Excahnge hosting providers? If their site doesn't provide enough info email or chat with them to find out.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
Aidan UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Have you looked at any Excahnge hosting providers? If their site doesn't provide enough info email or chat with them to find out.
Are there any hosting providers you would recommenrd and is there any disadvantage in using a US provider as I'm based in the UK ? I suspect the US providers will be cheaper.
Thanks for your help.
Aidan UK
Closed Thread