BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
VortXxe

Model: 7250
Default [7250] Setting up email - completely lost

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, i just got a BlackBerry 7250, and i'm at a complete loss on how to syncronize my email. I've read the manual, searched online, etc. etc. and it all mentions this enterprise server program, and various other things that i realy am not understanding.

I don't have any of this enterprise stuff, all i have is the desktop program that came on a disc with the BlackBerry, my computer, an Outlook email account thats through my own domain (VortXxe[-at-]VortXxe.com), and apparently my blackberry has an email as well (VortXxe[-at-]telus.blackberry.net).

What i'm trying to do is sync the email between the two so that if i delete a message on one, it dissapears from the other.

Here's what i tried:

1. my domain email redirected to my blackberry.net email, so if i send an email to my domain one, it appears on both, however if i send one to my blackberrry one, it only comes onto the blackberry (Really what i want is it to go both ways)

2. I played around with the "intellisync" program inside the desktop manager, and that will sync my address book and stuff, but doesn't seem to be doing anything with the emails.

3. I have an icon called "BlackBerry Desktop Redirector" on my desktop. I tried opening this but it simply closed again with one of those windows XP send error report dialogs.

4. I tried playing with the "redirector settings" with no results, other than recieving some sort of no mail devices found error.

If someone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it, as i have been unable to find a guide which actually is able to explain how to setup email syncing on the blackberry for a HOME user. This really seems like one of the most basic functions, and i would have thought the documentation which comes with the unit would be a little more helpful.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

You won't be able to sync to Outlook without BES. As a standalone, you can use the Desktop Manager to sync your calendar, contacts, tasks to Outlook via the USB cable. There are other 3rd party options for BES.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
VortXxe

BES = blackberry enterprise server, correct?

Ok, thanks... i was under the impression i could do it without it. It says in my "getting started guide" that "if your handheld is not enabled on a BES 4.0, you can install the desktop software to integrate your handhelf with your email account"... I was under the impression that it ment email as well, not just contacts and stuff.

I don't suppose theres any free BES services?... I'm already paying like $90 a month just to have the damn thing, and now i have to pay extra just to sync my email? This seems like really bad false advertising on RIM's part, it was advertising right at the store that you could sync it with your outlook email... nowhere did it mention a $4000 dollar or so enterprise peice of software... maybe Telus, my provider, provides it?... although probably not.

edit: also i hear about the "Desktop Redirector" a lot (the program that crashses on start on my computer), for example, from "http://www.exchangemymail.com/blackberryfeatures.html", which i dug up while searching "BES":
Quote:
No need to use the Desktop Redirector - Our servers handle sending and receiving your emails 24x7x365
Old 09-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Purduecoz

The desktop redirector, while running, will watch your Outlook inbox and send off any mail that comes into it to your Blackberry - no BES required. Not sure if it works only for connections to Exchange or not. If you're not connected to Exchange though, chances are you're using POP and you can use the Webmail portal to configure a POP account to check. Your provider should have a link to their Blackberry portal web site.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
VortXxe

I already have all my outlook email going to my blackberry (i have it set to forward it to my blackberry email)... my issue is syncronization. Can the desktop redirector sync it?

I don't really mind not being able to sync OTA, because i'm never using both... if i'm at the computer, my blackberry is plugged in... but thats when i want it synced.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

You still need BES or Outlook on Microsoft Exchange Server for the redirector to sync your calendar/contacts/tasks/email over the network. There is a service advertised on this board.... http://link2exchange.com starting at $19.95/mo
Old 09-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
BlackberryTechAgent

Model: 7520

No you do not have to be set up on any kind of server just to synchronize those things, you just have to have a program such as Outlook or Lotus Notes. Address Book, Calendar, Memo Pad, and Tasks are all stored in folders on the Hard Drive of the computer. Therefore, you do not have to be on a network to have the information synched over, it just pulls the info from the hard drive. All you have to do is open Desktop Manager, Click, Intellisync, Click Configure PIM, Hilight the items you want to send over to the BB, click choose, select your program from the list, press OK, Click OK again, and click Synchronize Now and you are good to go.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

What this user is looking for is not only a way to receive and send email via his/her Blackberry, but to also have the layer of synchronization that allows emails deleted on the handheld to also be deleted for the email's main server. Without a hookup to a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server), that is not possible. There are two ways that you can have BES access to your handheld device. The first way is through your employer. If available, a corporate employer will host a BES that will synch your work email to your handheld device. The second option has been mentioned earlier in this thread, and that is an outside hosted BES (usually costing approximately $20/month for service). These are the only two options for the email synchronization you are looking for.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
VortXxe

What i was more looking for actually is just something that syncs email in the same way it syncs your outlook contacts... it wouldn't need to deal with the server at all... just look for identical messages and put both in the same state... i see options for this in the intellisync, but it just doesn't work.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Without your Blackberry device connected to and feeding your email from a BES, you will not be able to delete messages from your handheld and them delete from the email server. Furthermore, I do not believe you will be able to achieve this with the Desktop Manager software that came with your device. That type of synchronization can only come through a BES.

Please, somebody, if I'm missing something here, let me know so we can close this question out.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #11
VortXxe

I am a bit confused by your wording. When you say "you will not be able to delete messages from your handheld and them delete from the email server" I am interpreting that as an actual, realtime server syncronization. what i am talking to is about, say i'm out all day with my blackberry, deleting stuff, making changes, etc. When i get home, and plug my blackberry in, it automatically updates my address book locally... no server involved... i want to simply do the same with my emails.
Closed Thread