BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
zirconx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Some serious flaws in BB? Or I just can't figure it out...

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my BB for a day now (an 8330, my first smart phone ever), and I really like some things about it. But there are a couple things I can't figure out, and from my google searching I'm afraid the BB just doesn't do these basic things?

1) A simple, quick way to go into silent mode? I don't want to fumble with menus and all that, you should just be able to hold down a key. I've read to hold down the # key (this worked on all my previous phones, too) but that doesn't work for me.

2) How to turn the camera shutter sound off? This is so annoying! Is RIM my nanny? Its my device and I'd like the camera to be silent.

3) How to turn off the key tones when dialing a number. They are LOUD I don't like all the other people in the office hearing me dialing! I don't exactly need them turned off, I just need them to be not speaker phone volume.

4) I'm sure this one is my fault - I can't dial any 7 digit numbers, I have to dial with a full 10 digits. I get an error message on the other end when I only dial 7. I've gone into the dial options and set my area code, so shouldn't always prepend this?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by zirconx; 11-13-2008 at 05:23 PM..
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

1 turn off dial from home screen and push the F key for Profiles. 2 can't do it. 3 can't do it. 4 I'm pretty sure this is a carrier issue.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
MaddestMax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

zirconx, welcome to the wondeful world of BB!

1) I don't think there is a quick way, but really? It's pretty easy to do as is.

2) The shutter sound is irritating. Google BerryAnnoying.

3) I think you have to set your profile to Silent, or Vibrate to silence the keys.

4) No idea on this one. :(
Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

1. I don't thinks so-but I will defer to others who may know something I don't.

2. No direct way to do this, although there are workarounds. Do a search for "camera shutter sound" here on BBF, you should be able to see what others have done.

3. From the menu of your 8300, go to Options>Screen/Keyboard, anfd change the "Key Tone" option to 'Off".

4. Agree with zerog, this may be a carrier issue.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post

1) A simple, quick way to go into silent mode? I don't want to fumble with menus and all that, you should just be able to hold down a key. I've read to hold down the # key (this worked on all my previous phones, too) but that doesn't work for me.
Options > Screen/Keyboard > Side key opens > Select Profiles. That should be the quickest way.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

The Bold has the ability to switch to and from vibe profile by holding down the Q key. I don't think any of the 4.5 OS have that ability yet. However, you can find many themes that allow homescreen access to profiles. Most L themes have a profiles icon that you can scroll quickly to.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
CureMS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: wheel*
Carrier: TMO

"Some serious flaws in BB" because you couldn't figure out 4 convenience items in your whole one day of experience -- hmmm

1. One click and a short scroll to switch to quiet is fairly simple and quick but you also have other options -- turn it off or set it to change profiles at given times.

2. As stated, an inexpensive little program can solve it for you.

3. Turn off key tones in options.

4. This one never occurred to me. I live in an area where 10 digit dialing has been a must for some time. And since I can potentially get any area code I want, the area code no longer reflects location. I thought everyone had to use 10 digits on a cell. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am curious how common this is - anybody know?

Sometimes we have a bigger learning curve (no pun intended) because our phones keep getting smarter! I usually assume that if I want to do something, it can be done and someone has probably figured out how. If not, they are likely to figure it out soon.

Enjoy your new BB!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
announce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted

Welcome to the world of the most unperfected/full of problems the Blackberry, I mean..look, there is a need of several forums..just to get by coping with the dumb thing, but its a good, reliable device with the best e-mail and security, and good people trying to help you with the far from perfec phone...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

The Pearl allows switching between current profile and Vibe by pressing the # key. I'm pretty surprised the Curve (all BBs, for that matter) don't also support that.

Turning off keytones in Options on the Pearl doesn't change that I can see/hear...I still get keytones when dialing from the desktop or from the call log. The only time keytones are silent is when I have chosen either the Vibrate or Quiet profiles. Does the Keytones setting really have any affect on the Curve?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Agree with Redflea. Turning off keytones in options doesn't affect phone dialing tones. Only will be silent if profile is set to Quiet.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
CureMS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: wheel*
Carrier: TMO

My mistake on #3 -- I have key tones turned off, and dialing tones are not so loud as to be any issue unless all around me is silent (hasn't come up as an issue for me). And they certainly aren't any louder than my speaking on the phone. At times when I would be concerned about dialing noise, I would have the phone on vibrate or quiet anyway.

If you want everyone to hear your phone except when dialing - you can use either the vibrate or quiet profile and change settings for those things that you do want audible, or you can use a headset when dialing.

I'd still consider it a minor inconvenience rather than a serious flaw.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
alb123

Model: 9630
PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

In PHONE if you hit MENU > SMART DIALING - isnt there a default AREA CODE for your phone? Then you don't have to do 10 digit-dialing? I just completed a telephone call that is NOT in my Contact List. Just randomly dialed a 7 digit telephone number and it went through. Probably woke the poor guy up, its 6AM here. haha

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #13
wjereb

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES

To change profiles make sure "dial from homescreen" is set to off. Then to go to vibrate hit F, V and spacebar. To go back to normal hit F, N and spacebar.

BJ
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
zirconx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
To change profiles make sure "dial from homescreen" is set to off. Then to go to vibrate hit F, V and spacebar. To go back to normal hit F, N and spacebar.

BJ
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb123 View Post
In PHONE if you hit MENU > SMART DIALING - isnt there a default AREA CODE for your phone? Then you don't have to do 10 digit-dialing? ...
Yes I have my area code set. I may have to call my carrier I guess.
Closed Thread