BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
sdedic005

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry Bold or 8900? What is right for me?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello fellow blackberry users. It is christmas season here and I was just wondering what blackberry I should get, the Bold or the 8900. Now before picking whatever one of you seems to prefer, I want to tell you what I would like in the phone and what type of a user I am and then make your decision for me based on that.

For one, I am not a hardcore business user, I am a 2nd year university student. I want to have a phone thats different than normal by browsing the web at times when bored and being able to check things such as bus schedule, scores of games, class schedules etc.

Number 2: I am going to be using my blackberry as a media player as well, I am not sure which model has the better player so this is another question I pose to all of you

Number 3: I do get a lot of university emails because I volunteer a lot within the community so I am not sure if one blackberry is better than other in emails.

Number 4: I will travel with this thing a lot, I am not much of a holster person and would like to keep my blackberry with me in a pocket at all times. Longevity is also key, I realize technology is always growing but I would like to have a useful machine in 2 years time.

I realize the things I have mentioned contradict the strengths and weaknesses of both the Bold and the 8900 but please taking all this into consideration, what would you reccommend for a university student with the needs I have discussed above. Your help is very much appreciated in determing a christmas present that hopefully will last me a while. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: o2 UK

Pocket...?

Student...?

Get 8900

Bold is a bit of a brick..

8900 lighter / smaller / cooler
Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

+1 on the 8900.

Get me one, too.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
sdedic005

Carrier: Rogers

Good point, that is what people tell me but I was just wondering, I also will want to browse quite a bit I feel, maybe not extensive business browsing but I mean anytime I take the bus back from school or wait around for little things I would not mind browsing. Are the lack of 3G limitations exaggerated? I hear that in Canada, Rogers 3G actually has quite a few problems and ends up being as fast as Edge?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

I went from the curve to the Bold, I don't think its even close to a brick. Typing is so smooth on it also. Noth devices would seem to fit your bill, it comes down to size. I keep the Bold in my pocket usually, you should probably visit a at&t store and hand a Bold, see how it feels in your hand. I personally love how it feels in my hand and its not that much bigger than the curve. What is the weight difference anyway, 1 ounce and change, that's not a brick! If you want a better camera then an 8900 would be better but the Bold has many plus's also.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Be careful carrying it in your pocket. Lint and dirt gets in and around the trackball making it stop working from time to time. The fix is easy but it is somewhat annoying. Plus, it can easily fall out and break. And I do not recommend carrying it in your pocket.

Also if you are on the web and surf a lot, I would assume that 3G would be an issue. I know the Bold is 3G, but not sure about the 8900 series. Better check that out.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Wanchaiman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5820
Carrier: hk
Default Pockets

I have had my Pearl in my pocket for over two years with no problems.

The lint does get into the back a bit but dusting it off every 6 months or so on reboots just tidies it up.

The trackball gets dirty in all sorts of ways - mostly through grease and biscuit crumbs, but just pushing it in hard solved the stickiness.

I tried the Bold and it fits into my pocket easily - its not much bigger than the 8900.

I am going to get the Bold over the 8900 because of the 3G. Where I live there is blanket 3G/HSDPA coverage. Since 3G was launched here when it first came out EDGE never became popular. GPRS works... just but 3G is much quicker.

It's also a "world phone" - if you go to Japan or South Korea GSM phones don't work at all and 3G is a must.
Closed Thread