Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
pnico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Storm and Wifi

Please Login to Remove!

I know there is no wifi in the storm. I guess that is because verizon feels that its 3g network is good enough to replace wifi?
Granted all the wifi networks I try to access are WEP protected so I can never get in anyway.

It makes sense that vz wanted to sell more data plans and not use wifi BUT the samsung omnia and other handsets support it so I dont know that even though it makes sense, is the case?

If they really wanted to restrict wifi and force people to use their data plan, wouldn't they restrict it on all handsets? Why didnt they?

I have wifi on one device, my 6700 audiovox pocket pc, but other than that, never again. Treo 700wx and now storm. I find the 3g network to be plenty fast ...

is wifi something that is built into the device but disabled by the software/firmware that can be enabled? or was it not even built into the devices?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

the hardware simply isnt there. imagine trying to connect to a wifi network from a computer without a wifi card. all the software in the world isnt going to help.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
chrisb3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 3048984C
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnico View Post
I know there is no wifi in the storm. I guess that is because verizon feels that its 3g network is good enough to replace wifi?
Granted all the wifi networks I try to access are WEP protected so I can never get in anyway.

It makes sense that vz wanted to sell more data plans and not use wifi BUT the samsung omnia and other handsets support it so I dont know that even though it makes sense, is the case?

If they really wanted to restrict wifi and force people to use their data plan, wouldn't they restrict it on all handsets? Why didnt they?

I have wifi on one device, my 6700 audiovox pocket pc, but other than that, never again. Treo 700wx and now storm. I find the 3g network to be plenty fast ...

is wifi something that is built into the device but disabled by the software/firmware that can be enabled? or was it not even built into the devices?
As far as we know, the hardware isn't in the device per VZW & Voda's request. There's been some speculation that WiFi might be in the device because the chipset spec shows it, but it's just not there.

Which is kind of silly for VZW as they force you to take a minimum $30/mo. unlimited data plan anyways. Voda on the other hand, I get it, because of their insane data tariffs.
Closed Thread