BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
nipismylastnamehonest

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default BB unique identifier

Please Login to Remove!

We're developing an intranet asp.net application and have roles set for a particular user of the mobile intranet site.

Is there a unique identifier for each blackberry so we can map each id to a user to give roles? or is there a way to use windows network authentication when accessing the intranet through BES and a BB?

One more thing, we do not want our users to login when using the resource.

Thanks.

Last edited by nipismylastnamehonest; 10-04-2005 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
NC*Nextel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw

each BB has its own unique PIN... isn't that what you are looking for?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:23 AM   #3
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

you can get the e-mail adress of the owner via
Session.getDefaultInstance().getServiceConfigurati on().getEmailAddress()
(net.rim.blackberry.api.mail.Session)

i am not sure if or how you could get the PIN of the device but the e-mail adress should work well

gs
simon
Old 10-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
ecarmody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

You can get the PIN via ...
java.lang.Integer.toHexString(DeviceInfo.getDevice Id())

Previous msg points out how to get email address.

Or, if sending HTTP to server and you use MDS, then you can turn on a MDS feature to include PIN and email in the header. This can even be configed on a per domain basis. There is a knowledge article on it; I don't know the details.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
Paco

Model: 7290

Another possibility is to use the IMEI, the International Mobile Equipment Identity, that any GSM/UMTS mobile phone has. It is diferent for any mobile, its identity card, located in its firmware.

import net.rim.device.api.system.*;

String imei = new String(GPRSInfo.getIMEI());
Old 10-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

From your post, it sounds like you are developing a browser-based app. If so, the other posts won't help since they a J2ME-based solutions.

If you are using a BES, you can add an entry in rimpublic.property so the PIN # or email address will be added to the http header. i don't recall the exact setting but its in the [HTTP_HANDLER] section and detailed in the Content Developer's Guide.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
koolaidman

Model: 7250
Default Solution and Results

You will need to edit the "rimpublic.property" file in

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\INSTANCENAME\config\

on your BES server where "INSTANCENAME" is the name of your BES server instance (i.e. BESSERVER), and add the following lines at the bottom.
(i pulled these straight from the configuration file in the MDS simulator):

Code:
#[HTTP HANDLER]
application.handler.http.header=pin,email
#application.handler.http.header.domain= .+\.rim\.net
# signs indicate comment lines in that configuration file.
The 3rd line allows you to filter the domains you send the PIN or email headers to, by means of a regular expression. Just remove the #, change "rim" and "net" to read "yourdomain" and "com", respectively, if your domain is "yourdomain.com" and the device will only send these headers when the domain matches, and it will work for all subdomains. handy!

Note: If you have BES server 3.7, you will only be able to enter "pin" OR "email" as the header. BES 4.0 supports both pin AND email simultaneously.

Then on the BES server, once you've saved and closed the file, open Start->Run and run "services.msc", and then restart the Mobile Data Server service for your BES installation.

Once you follow these steps, these headers should be present in HTTP requests your server's attached devices send in browser requests.
The headers will appear as HTTP_RIM_DEVICE_ID and HTTP_RIM_DEVICE_EMAIL.

There is a knowledgebase article on the blackberry site about this configuration, it's Article #DB-00435

Curiously, I had trouble getting this to work until I realized that I was using the "Internet Browser" on my device instead of the "Blackberry Browser". I didn't realize there was a difference but there is, and here it's crucial - Internet Browser sends your HTTP requests through a RIM proxy MDS, while the Blackberry Browser sends the requests directly through your BES server's MDS, which is the desired behavior here. just something to keep in mind.

oh yeah!

Last edited by koolaidman; 10-20-2005 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: additions/corrections
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
koolaidman

hmm. for some reason the board insists on inserting spaces near the end of the 3rd line of that code snippet above. THe last 4 characters of it should be:

.net
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidman
hmm. for some reason the board insists on inserting spaces near the end of the 3rd line of that code snippet above. THe last 4 characters of it should be:

.net
The space insertition is an old forum bug designed to wordwrap long words. Strategically insert spaces (such as right after the equal sign) to prevent the forum from automatically inserting spaces. A .txt file attachment also works.

I know, it's an annoying forum software bug...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
koolaidman

I edited the original post and included the space after the = sign... I'm not sure if the BES server will care or not about whitespace in a config file but just to be safe I'd remove the space when pasting those lines.
Closed Thread