Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
flyboiz08

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default streaming video over the internet

Please Login to Remove!

ok im new to the storm and i used the search to try and find my solution but no luck
why is it that you can stream videos over youtube... but any other site you try to watch videos on the error message comes on..is this because i have javascript off or is this just because the storm cant play videos on websites lik vh1 or mtv
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
pandaman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

I think it's because sites like youtube require flash-player, which is not included in the blackberry browser. You will need to get something like Opera mini, but that won't download data via the blackberry APN, which will result in extra data charges (most carriers give you an all-you-can-eat deal on your data, provided it is via your blackberry web browser).
Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
flyboiz08

so your saying as long as i have unlimited data on my plan an have opera mini i should be able to watch videos over the internet on my phone
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
zerog6

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339

No what the guy said above isn't correct.

You can not watch streaming videos through a browser on blackberrys yet. And opera does not have full-flash support to watch streaming videos either. The only browser that currently does so is skyfire, which isn't available for blackberrys yet.

Your options are to download the youtube application, or watch the videos through the "mobile" site which will stream the videos through the blackberry media player.

And also you're not going to be charged any "extra data" for using another browser for anything.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
pkasin

Default Streaming Videos is possible

You CAN stream videos over the internet. I do.

Blackberry Media player will work with some formats (you can search the forums for more on this). I know that some folks have talked about ORB (which is what I use) working. I stream recorded video and TV quite successfully.

However, youtube is not something I have used, although it seems to me that there is a client available somewhere on the forums.

With BB Browser, when a video stream is detected, it will generally open the BB Media player automatically, and stream if the file type is right.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
zerog6

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkasin View Post
You CAN stream videos over the internet. I do.

Blackberry Media player will work with some formats (you can search the forums for more on this). I know that some folks have talked about ORB (which is what I use) working. I stream recorded video and TV quite successfully.

However, youtube is not something I have used, although it seems to me that there is a client available somewhere on the forums.

With BB Browser, when a video stream is detected, it will generally open the BB Media player automatically, and stream if the file type is right.
I mentioned that in what I wrote. If you access the mobile site, it will stream through the media player. But you can't watch streaming videos directly on a full html website
Closed Thread