Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
jdmevo8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Emergency Calls

Please Login to Remove!

I recently dailed 911 while driving because of a boulder in the middle of the freeway and after making the phone call, my phone was stuck in emergency callback mode. Nothing worked. I was only showing 1x on my phone and I was not allowed to really do anything elese except make phone calls. Has anyone else experienced this? I had to restart the phone to get out the mode. Very frustrating. This did not happen with my previous phone the pearl.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
NJBourne23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

usually the phone remains locked after a 911 call so that they are able to track you if need be. I have yet to dial a 911 on the storm but i knwo that on other phones there is an option to exit emergency mode, hope that helps
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
afrosam

PIN: ask me
Carrier: Clearnet (Telus)

I made an emergency call by mistake on purpose (I was actually trying to see if you could create/choose emergency numbers)
Anyways, I started the emergency call I was able to end the call, but it was still in the emergency callback mode, which I was able to end and put the phone away then 911 or possibly telus called me after but I missed the call. After that I was safe and my phone returned to normal.

I don't remember mine going into 1x I don't think this is something they would have the phone do automatically because (I'm guessing) they use the data connection to track you. Can anyone confirm what tracking/gps system the emergency trace system uses?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but in order to avoid that from happening, it's best to only call 911 in the event of an actual emergency. If it's not an emergency, you should call the city's non-emergency dispatch.

That's all I've got. :\
Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vrz

adorkable. . . that trully makes sence but how many people carry the non-emergency dispatch number in their pocket?. . . .
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
2 Samuel 22

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

From Blackberry's website

About Emergency Callback Mode

If your BlackBerry® device is connected to a CDMA network, when you end an emergency call, your device enters Emergency Callback Mode. This mode enables the operator to call you back or determine your approximate location. Depending on your service provider, Emergency Callback Mode is active for five minutes or is canceled when you make a non-emergency call.

In Emergency Callback Mode, you cannot send and receive messages or browse web pages.

Your device exits Emergency Callback Mode at any time if you make a non-emergency call.

This also applies to the Curve 8330 and is mentioned in both user guides.

ETA: Actually, I guess I'm one of the few. I do have the non-emergency phone numbers for my city/county police and state highway patrol, local hospital numbers, too. It's my SOP, but that's just me.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
adorkable. . . that trully makes sence but how many people carry the non-emergency dispatch number in their pocket?. . . .
Very few unfortunately. It's a handy number to save into your phone though. And, if it isn't an emergency, then you should have the time to call 411 or look it up. You are using a Blackberry after all.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but in order to avoid that from happening, it's best to only call 911 in the event of an actual emergency. If it's not an emergency, you should call the city's non-emergency dispatch.
Seconding this. Our local sheriff and police strongly counsel keeping track of their direct number for most issues, and also, in case 911 is clogged, which happens too often! Learned this the hard way once.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Closed Thread