Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
hbkid

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Charges for using WiFi??

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, new to here so don't know if this is the right forum for this thread but anyway...

Recently got my first Blackberry from Orange in the UK, and added the £5 per month 250 Mb Blackberry Internet Service.

Having had the BB for a month, I've received my first bill and have been charged around £35 worth of data charges.

Orange have been unable for weeks to tell me what kind of data is included in the bundle and what isn't. For example, I use the Google Mail application regularly,but they can't tell me if it uses the BIS or Orange Internet (WAP).

Eventually they have come to the concusion that if I use my WiFi connection at home, then that must be the data I'm being charged for!

I don't believe that to be the case, but as no-one at Orange seems to be able to tell me anything without someone else contradicting them I'm starting to get very confused.

Has anyone else had the same experience with Orange, or can anyone shed any light on the claim that I have to pay for data recieved over a WiFi connection?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Meecht
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

You can check if your wifi is connected by going to Manage Connections from the home screen. If it shows as not connected, then you've been using BIS the whole time.

If it is connected, select "Mobile Network Options" and see which is set as your "Connection Preference." If it is set to "Mobile Network Only" or "Mobile Network Preferred" then it'll always connect to BIS so long as you have a signal. Setting it to "Wi-Fi Only" or "Wi-Fi Preferred" will default it to Wi-Fi.

(I just got my BB yesterday and set up the Wifi on it then, so somebody will have more insight than myself.)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
hbkid

Well I've now spoken to someone else at Orange who said that you don't pay for WiFi at all, and it looks like a glitch in their system where by BIS wasn't activated properly by the billing dept - hence the charges for all my data.

I do hope this is the case, although it's the 5th different explaination I've had regarding data charges!!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Tiny

Model: 9000
PIN: 2563B879

I'm on orange with the same package, though i have some unlimited bundles which take care of my extra data use not covered by the BIS bundle.

I can confirm 100% that you do not pay for wifi through your phone.

This bit is my best guess, as i cant be certain, the one phone i have done it to does have complete unlimited data, the others dont.

If you go into options / advanced options / tcp-ip do you have APN settings ticked with orangeinternet in the box?

If you dont, ignore the rest cause im wrong, if you do then my thoughts are, this is used for third party apps like Opera mini, google maps to connect to Orange Data using the normal data apn, for example if i take the settings out of apn Opera mini wont work. I believe these charges are not covered by the Orange Blackberry bundle and thus why you have been charged. Like i say i cant confirm this as I have another bundle that has unlimited data so my excess comes out of that bundle, though every month i have a portion of data showing on my bill as not coming out of the BB bundle but coming out of my unlimited bundle so guessing this is what it is.

I have another 2 Bolds on orange that have the BB bundle you have but neither of them have the APN settings in the box and thus they never have excess data charges.

Sorry like i say its my best guess but its an educated guess unlike the response you seem to be getting from orange, good luck sorting it.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
hbkid

Sorted.

They failed to remove my WAP bundle when they added the BIS and the two products conflicted hence the charges.

The woman who told me I was paying for using WiFi was an idiot.

All charges have been refunded
Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Glen1124

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2

If your connected to a hotspot network or your own wireless network then as far as I know it should be free
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
bertie_carter

Carrier: Orange

I am going away on holiday soon to Budapest and am very interested to know whether or not I will be charged for data usage when using Google Maps in a WiFi spot. In particular I am curious as to whether I will be charged for Google Maps 'locating' me. I am a customer of Orange in the UK. I have tried contacting Orange but their employees are a bit thick and do not seem to understand my predicament. I would prefer to not come home to a massive bill!
Closed Thread