Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
esbe02
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO
Default Bricked My 8900???? Help!!

Please Login to Remove!

I attempted to load the new OS (.168, stickied above) but the worst thing that could happen, happened.... yes my friends, you guessed right, I think I "bricked" my 8900. I've been working on saving the device and restoring the OS over the last 2 hours and no luck...

I've never had trouble with any OS upgrade/downgrades... until this one. I did the usual (download, install, delete vendor file, open apploader, load new OS) however, in the middle of the installation I think the USB cord may have come loose... or, the installation just went wrong and bricked my device. End result, I got the dreaded "reloaded software, error 507" white screen on my 8900. After I saw this, I told myself "no biggie, I'll just redo the process over again, and no worries..."

Only until 2 hours later, I want to throw my 8900 against the wall because I've tried everything and I keep running into the infamous "multi-stage loading could not be completed." For the ones who been down this path, I've got my laptop to recognize the device as apploader reads the device as "PIN:UNKNOWN" and I go to the next step, eventually it takes me to the screen where I can click and unclick what I want and don't want... after hitting next again, the installation process starts up... beginning with "loading software" after this, is the "device initialization" step and this is where my 8900 craps out on me... after about a minute of the window stuck on the "device initialization" step, I get the "multi-stage loading could not be completed"

I've searched this topic and tried many variations (timing the battery during the installation process, try loading an older OS, etc.) and I'm about to call it a night... unfortunately, its nearly 3:30am and I'm without a working BB... life sucks...

anyhow, I'll cross my fingers and hope that I have better luck tomorrow or I can hope I wake up and it was all a very very bad dream, haha.

any tips fellow BBers?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

That "multistage" error normally refers to not having the BB plugged into a main, powered USB port. Not a hub or such.

Also, I would suggest that you reboot the laptop and try it again.

Good luck, you will be fine once it all gets settled.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
ebockman

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMOBILE
Default I ahd something similar happen with the last update...

I finally ended up using JL-CMDR to wipe the BB and reload. This finally worked. (It did take several attempts to get JL-CMDR to connect... I found that continuing to try the connection while the BB was rebooting finally worked). I was a little freaked that I had bricked it, but all is good now
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Perfect!

I've seen users need to run JLCmder 15-25 times before the connection is made. Patience and persistence is the key.
Closed Thread