Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Default Virginity rates by Major

Please Login to Remove!

"Cool chart that shows the virginity rates among students at Wellesley College according to the student's major. I found some things particularly interesting:

1. 0% of students with 'studio arts' major are virgins

2. Virginity rates for Spanish major (43%) is much lower than virginity rates for English and French majors (50%)

3. There is evidence that geeks get laid the least in college. Check out the rates for Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. "

forwardOn: Virginity rates among students by major

Last edited by test54; 03-17-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

LOL! What is the over/under number for male college students here on BBF who just read this and changed their major to Studio Arts?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

lol, i was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Political science is interesting as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

Too dang funny
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Wirelessly posted

It's good to know that double standards are still alive and well. I'd hate to think that virginity was the only thing out of style.

+1 for setting us back -50
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

whats the double standard? you lost me.

Wellesley is of course all women but the study nor the comments make any judgements on the data.

Would love to see the same study done at a larger coed university.

Last edited by test54; 03-17-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Geeks may be at the least active end, but nerds (Computer Science) are 5th from the left side.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Woohoo! Go computer science dudes!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
whats the double standard? you lost me.

Wellesley is of course all women but the study nor the comments make any judgements on the data.

Would love to see the same study done at a larger coed university.
Sorry, I should've been more explicit: I believe the fact that the study was done in the first place is indicative of a double standard.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

but there is no judgements made as to right and wrong so how can there be a double standard? If it was done by the Catholic diocese or something then I would see a possible issue but this has no judgements made other than by majors. The comments above were not part of the study, they were added by the site listed.

So is the double standard against women or against geeks?

Last edited by test54; 03-18-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I also don't see where it breaks it down by men and women.... :shrug:

Kris
Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

it can't because its an all-female school.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ahhhh.... Well duh to me.... I did not know that... How are they getting nookie then? Off campus with the locals? I wanna move to that city!

Kris
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
but there is no judgements made as to right and wrong so how can there be a double standard? If it was done by the Catholic diocese or something then I would see a possible issue but this has no judgements made other than by majors. The comments above were not part of the study, they were added by the site listed.

So is the double standard against women or against geeks?
Here's my take:

I don't think any rational human being would see a study like this and not judge the participants, irrespective of whether those conducting the study attached their views to it or not. I mean, what is the study's purpose? To what possible use could this knowledge be put? I mean, insert your own joke here. And that's what people are doing: joking and judging.

Would I feel differently if this had been a coed study? I doubt it, because the judgments made would be the same. I believe most people still view female sexual promiscuity as flatly undesirable, and view male promiscuity as permissible / understandable. So I believe a coed study would still produce and nurture the same negative thoughts regarding women.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

I see what you mean now. but it really depends on your society, not all see college girls promiscuity as a bad thing.

The whole study -- and it backs up your point in some ways.

As if the normal perception that 'geeks and the stupid don't get any' wasn't enough, there is now scientific evidence which validates this
stereotype. Recent studies in the US on sexual activity among adolescents and young adults show that being an 'average Joe' may have benefits outside of the classroom.

The studies show that female and male adolescents with an IQ score either below 70 or above 110 are more likely to be virgins.

Adolescents with IQ scores ranging from 70 to 110 had the lowest probability of virginity, according to two researchers from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The average IQ score is 90 to 110.

Mariah Mantsun Cheng, a research associate, and J Richard Udry, professor of maternal and child health and sociology, both from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, conducted the study. They discovered that 39.8% of boys with an average IQ score have had sex while 29.2% of boys with an IQ above 110 have had sex.

They also found that 63.3% of adolescent men and 81.6% of women with IQ scores below average have never had sex and most have had fewer experiences of romantic attraction.

Another study in Gene Expression Magazine entitled 'Intercourse and Intelligence' confirms this data, citing research that shows a bell-shaped relationship between IQ scores and sex. According to the research, an adolescent with an IQ score of 100 was 1.5 to 5 times more likely to have had intercourse than an adolescent with an above average score of about 120 to 130.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) along with nationwide university studies support this research. The CDC states that by age 19, 80% of men and 75% of women, in the US, lose their virginity.

According to a survey held by Counterpoint Magazine at Wellesley College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 60% of undergraduates at Wellesley are virgins and 47% of undergraduates at MIT are currently virgins.

The study at Wellesley also broke the research down by majors. It found that no studio art majors were virgins while 72% of biology majors and 83% of biochemistry and math majors were virgins.

Cheng said the research also indicated that boys with lower IQ scores are more likely to be attracted to the same sex compared with average boys. "While the majority of adolescents with lower cognitive abilities have not had sex," Cheng said, "among those who are sexually active, especially for girls, are much less likely to use contraceptives, having a higher risk of pregnancy as well."
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Makes me want to move there and buy em all a beer!

Kris
Closed Thread