BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
sumorai

Default 7100t questions

Please Login to Remove!

I need a device which I can use for remote administration on the road. Basically, I need a decent data plan, good coverage and SSH access (which necessitates a good text input device). I would ideally prefer to have a device which I can use via USB / Bluetooth to get internet access on my PowerBook also. Sync is not something I'm very concerned with, but it would be nice.

I ordered a Nokia 6820 from ATT Wireless yesterday and I'm already dissatisfied with the service. I don't know if it's the phone or ATT's service, but it loses signal a LOT. I've got 30 days to play with it, so I'm going to see if it gets any better. In the meantime, I'd like to further investigate my backup solution: T-Mobile & the 7100t.

So, I'd appreciate it if any knowledgeable folks could answer a few questions for me:

1. Have any of you used an SSH program with the 7100t? How did the text input work since it's not a full keyboard?

2. Is T-Mobile's coverage/service reliable?

3. Can you use the T-Zones with the 7100t? $5/mo for net access is not too bad... If not I assume you have to get the BB Unlimited plan.

4. I know the 7100t only does headsets via Bluetooth, but is it possible that someday Blackberry will pull their heads out of their butts and let us use bluetooth for data connectivity for laptops? I can understand if corporate users don't want to have that on their employees' phones, but this is a device for consumers, give us a choice at least!

5. How's the voice quality of the phone? The 6820 seems staticky and faded unless I use the speaker phone. I'm not big on headsets either, but I would consider using one.

6. Any issues with battery life?

TIA,
Gabriel
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

You can find most of your answers already in this forum but you might want to consider the cingular 7290 and drop a tmo sim into it. This way you get the full keyboard and don't have to worry about suretype when ssh'ing into stuff...
Old 10-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
warrenbert

Wrong device here. Try a Sharp Zaurus c860 with a Sprint 1xRTT CF card. The Zaurus has both SD and CF slots and a full keyboard.

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/forums/

Almost all administrators and developers on this forum.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
sumorai

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenbert
Wrong device here. Try a Sharp Zaurus c860 with a Sprint 1xRTT CF card. The Zaurus has both SD and CF slots and a full keyboard.

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/forums/

Almost all administrators and developers on this forum.
Thanks, but I need a cell phone, not a pda. I'd also like to stick to something around $200. I'll probably just end up using this for a year until palm releases a Tréo that doesn't suck.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Some answers (SOME):

1) Never used an SSH, text input is easy but not as fast as a regular keyboard.

2) Coverage is fine in big cities, bad in rural areas.

3) BlackBerry service is $20 extra a month if you have a TMO plan. It comes with everything you'd want.

4) OS 4? Don't really know.

5) Works plenty good for me, BT headset is helpful

6) Battery life is not great (maybe two days under normal use) but the USB cable powers it when plugged into a computer so mine stays powered without much problem.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
sumorai

thanks for the reply!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

most applications won't rely on SureType for the input (email and browser being exceptions). i would think that SSH would be touch-typing, so you'd push the button twice for the second letter. either method of typing gets to be fairly easy and quick to manage.

but yeah, i think the Treo 650 would be the way to go in the next few months for those purposes... the only SSH programs are rather expensive compared to those developed for palm (which will run you about $20 compared to $200 for the BB).
Old 10-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #8
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

My boss has the 6820 with ATT and an IPAQ with bluetooth. He connects the two together via bluetooth and gets the internet access on the IPAQ. He can term serv into all of our servers and do whatever is needed. He likes that approach and seems to think ATT has had pretty good coverage. And it seems as far as the technology goes, he is getting pretty good speeds with this combination. I would think you could do the same with your powerbook if it had bluetooth as well.

As far as the 7100t is concerned, I haven't used it in the situation you are considering it for, but it has met all my needs for everything else. And at least for where I am living (SLC, UT), the coverage has been great.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 12-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #10
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

midpssh is available, and free.

i don't know how well it works though, since t-mobile has crippled my blackberry internet service.