BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Can any Bold user view all attachments? (Big ones, too?)

Please Login to Remove!

I have never had great luck with my Bold on email attachments. When I talk to AT&T tech support, they will create a Word doc with a couple of words in it and send it to me and it works. Sure. But a real Word doc, with anything in it? I get: "This attachment type is not viewable" or something like that. FYI, I can view tiny, two-word Word docs in both *.docx and *.doc file types.

I have had the service books sent (heck, I send them myself from the AT&T webpage) and I know about the problems with the Redirector. I just yesterday talked to an AT&T support tech (the 3rd one, so far), who tried to resolve my problems. He suggested that I do a backup, then a handheld wipe and then a restore. I did. Guess what happened? Couldn't restore! Restore failed! !@#$%@#$%@$ After buggering around for an hour, I got it working again. @#%^#^#$%, (once again, for emphasis).

I called AT&T back, after this failure and got another person. They said it might be a problem with the phone itself, so they are sending me another one, overnight.

I have not had any other problems with this phone; it is a great phone, fast and clear screen, I can stream music all day to it, anything.

But Word, Excel, PowerPoint and lately, even some JPG's won't render. If the file is attached to an email, it will not work. If it is embedded in an email, it will work.

Where I work, people send nothing emails, with the words: "Read this", and an attached DOC file, instead of just typing the stuff into an email. I don't know why.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

i get emails with DOC, PDF, JPG, PPT, ETC all the time for work and they open just fine
Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

So that's it? Everybody else can see large email attachments on their Bold, with no problems?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Um just a thought. You do have the integrated Word_to_go etc installed on your blackberry correct?

Are you on a BES? (I could see there might be an option to block those apps).

Also keep in mind the limit on download attachments is around 3~megs(maybe 3.5) as is attaching.

Also I know my work bes, we can not read office 2007 formatted documents, but I think we are running an old non-update date version of BES.

In some instances I can not open the attachment directly on the blackberry but I can download it to the memory card and then open it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

OKay, just so you know, AT&T sent me a new Bold unit in the mail yesterday. I hooked it all up and it can see these attachments, that I couldn't see before. Just to make it interesting, I am installing the latest OS (v4.6.0.266) onto this new unit. If I cannot see these attachments again, then it might just be the OS. I hope not, and I really doubt it, but we will see. I will let you know if they don't work with .266.

To answer scaevola's question, I am not on a BES. I am on the BIS from AT&T. Our BES at work is very restrictive and I chose not to be connected to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

It looks like the new phone is the answer; Email attachments work fine now. I don't see why that is, really. If you think about it, you change things about the phone, with multiple new OS installs, etc., so there are all sorts of possibilities. Maybe it was the firmware. As long as it works, though.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
PDADoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T, Vodaphone (UK), T-Mobile (Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
So that's it? Everybody else can see large email attachments on their Bold, with no problems?
I just tested this out; I sent myself four separate messages, each with a relatively large attachment (about 1MB) and with different file formats (.docx, xlsx, pptx, .pdf), and I had no problem opening any of them.

Of course, I have Docs-to-Go installed; are you using this app, or something like it?

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Closed Thread