Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus
Default Folder redirection, I think. I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I think my issue is folder redirection but not sure if that is the right terminology. I've searched here and via google but can't determine what is going on.

Our BES is at 4.1.6, fully patched. I can't for the life of me figure out how to view emails stored in folders other than inbox. I can see the folders on my BB (open messages, click BB button, view folder), but when I look they are all empty. In Outlook the folders are all populated. On the BES I made sure to click, for myself, "Choose Folders for Redirection" and checked the folders I want. When I get a new email from someone with a rule that moves the email to a specific folder, Outlook processes the rule and moves the email. I see the email on the BB but if I go to the specific folder where I see it in Outlook the folder is empty.

Can someone explain to me what is going on and how do I make this work the way I think it is supposed to? Once I get it working for me others in the organization want it as well. One at a time and I'm first

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

If you look at the message at the top, it should tell you what folder it's in, Like Quotes (Secure)

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

If I look at the latest message from someone who I created a rule for that moves their emails to a specific folder, the folder states Inbox. In Outlook it is not in the inbox as the rule moved it.

If I click the BB button, click view folder and view that specific folder I referenced above, the folder is empty. In Outlook, that folder is populated with quite a few emails.

This is where I'm getting lost with this folder redirection stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK,

I rebooted the BES server and then moved a couple of emails from my Outlook inbox into one of the folders I had set for redirection. I looked into that folder on the BB and there appeared the 2 moved messages. Hmm.......
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Is your "Hide Filed Messges" set to Yes or No?

Is your "Wireless Reconcile" set to On or Off?

Folder redirection kicks in, when a server-side Outlook rules moves a message from the Inbox to another folder. If you move a message from the Inbox to another folder manually, Reconcle kicks in. Reconcile only happens every 15 minutes or so. You can speed things up by chosing "Reconcile Now". Reconcile also syncs the "Read/Unread" status of your mails.

Last edited by freakinvibe; 07-09-2009 at 09:33 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hide Filed Messages is set to "No"
Wireless Reconicile is set to "Yes"

An email was sent from my boss and Outlook processed the rule to move it to the folder I created for his emails. I can see the email on my BB, where the header shows Folder: Inbox. If I view the particular folder on my BB it is empty.

So confused
Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
freakinvibe

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Do you have access to the admin console of your BES? If so, can you go to your user and then click Service Access > Choose Folders for redirection. Is the folder ticked? Probably BES didn't sync the Folder redirection settings from your BB device.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do have access to the BES. I am the admin, though with no real training. I've been learning on my own, with the help of the fine folks here. I do have that folder checked, along with others I want to see.

About 5 minutes ago I took an email that was in my Outlook Indbox and manually moved it into the folder I created for the bosses emails. I can now see it on the BB when I view that particular folder. An email that he sent me yesterday at like 5PM, for which an Outlook rule ran and moved it into his folder, cannot be seen on the BB in the folder. Ugh!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Are your Outlook rules "Client only" rules, or rules which can be processed by the server ?
That might make a difference.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

There are a bunch of rules that are "client only", the bosses being one of them. I have deleted that rule and created a new rule which is not "client only". Let 's see what happens going forward.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I thought we had something with the "client only" rule issue as the boss sent an email after I changed the rule and I could find it in the folder on the BB. I have another folder set up for someone else's emails and a "client only" rule moving emails from inbox to that folder. That person sent me an email and I can few it in his folder on the BB as well as the main inbox on the BB. I'm going to change the rule for the boss (it will become "client only") so that I get a desktop alert. Hard to know if he's sending me something without seeing the alert while I on the computer.

This issue keeps on getting stranger.

So another email comes from the second person with a folder. It came 10 minutes ago. The rule moved it to the folder but when I view that folder on the BB I only see the email from like 11:30 and notht the 12:12 email. Ugh!

Last edited by totalstu; 07-13-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
nobody7290

The synchronisation of the blackberry is AFAIK only able to handle a limited amout of items at one time. You can try that out:
Mark 100 messages in outlook and move it somewhere else. Or move a larger buch of items in the trash This will not be refelcted on the remote BB.
(Does not apply to server rules, they work as expected)
This might explain the random behaviour you experience.

Also look here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ml#post1228285

It seems, that sometimes the. Synchronisation picks up a mail to early. That might happen too when you use client only rules.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
WMedley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
The synchronisation of the blackberry is AFAIK only able to handle a limited amout of items at one time. You can try that out:
Mark 100 messages in outlook and move it somewhere else. Or move a larger buch of items in the trash This will not be refelcted on the remote BB.
(Does not apply to server rules, they work as expected)
This might explain the random behaviour you experience.

Also look here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ml#post1228285

It seems, that sometimes the. Synchronisation picks up a mail to early. That might happen too when you use client only rules.
That is exactly what it is. I know that at least in the domino environment I had several "complaints" that users would get an email on their blackberry device before it showed up in their inbox. BES seems to be able to pick up new messages delivered prior to them actually being placed in the folders by the rules, therefore BES does not pick up the fact that the message was moved. You can change the interval for checking for new messages on BES and this might help out a bit.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I followed the link and create the registry key. I put the value in decimal rather than hex. Hopefully that doesn't muck things up. Now we wait for emails to arrive and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

About 50 minutes after typing my last reply the boss sends me an email, for which the clint rule ran and processed. 10 minutes later I look in that folder on the BB and don't see that email. I do see one from last night, which wasn't in there before.

I'll continue to monitor.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
nobody7290

Why dont remove/replace all "client only" rules with something which can be processed by the server for testing ?
Then you would know at least, that its not a problem with outlook ?
Closed Thread